• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New suzuki katana for new decade

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
2020-suzuki-katana-first-look-preview-3.jpg

Said to be a gsxr 1000 under new clothing. I think it looks pretty cool. Good to see Suzuki putting out a new model. Last one was discontinued in 2006.

Not weird enough to be a Katana. I remember seeing the first one in person in Austin when the Suzuki dealership on Lamar. Odd looking and looked pretty uncomfortable but still interesting. Cannot imagine what a pristine old generation Katana would bring, only know more than what I could ever gather up.:giveup:

yea, i remembered that suzuki shop on n. lamar & Morrow st/Guadalupe st (iirc)

who owned that suzuki shop, you know? was it Jack O'Leary, big time dirt biker?

yea, i remembered that suzuki shop on n. lamar & Morrow st/Guadalupe st (iirc)

who owned that suzuki shop, you know? was it Jack O'Leary, big time dirt biker?
Not sure? Do you remember Woods Honda was down the street? Right where the restaurant supply company is now.

I had one of the previous generation Kat's, and they weren't weird enough either. Still, it was a good affordable first bike.

Scan10003-L.jpg

Barber has a nice one on display, greatly enjoyed seeing it in person.

20171026_132954-L.jpg

I had one of the previous generation Kat's, and they weren't weird enough either. Still, it was a good affordable first bike.

Barber has a nice one on display, greatly enjoyed seeing it in person.

The second one was the one I was talking about. It was so different when it came out. Stood out like a turd in a punch bowl. Wow they were way different back then. And fast. I think they only came in silver do you remember GJ? I do like the color on your older one. Bet you miss it?

Not sure? Do you remember Woods Honda was down the street? Right where the restaurant supply company is now.

Yea buddy! You know it. Woods HONDA was THE m/c store back in the 80's.
And TJ's started his business out of a small house south of DPS station, on N. Lamar, between 51st & Koenig Lane. His shop didn't get its start at the location that's across from the Driver's license BLDG & Whataburger.

And, I remembered back in the 80's , a BMW m/c dealership on Burnet Rd & 41st, across from whole foods, the same bldg as the Ferrari dealership is right now?

Oh, and while I'm walking down memory lane..who here still remembers
Austin Cycle salvage on Burnet & 43rd? That place kicked butt!!!

as for katana.....I sure did like the old....obviously b/c time has come and gone, we're now accustomed to its radical shape
001-5.jpg

but the NEW (below) will take some time for the public to get used to...
001-42.jpg

nevertheless, this would make a very nice weekend only, sunny day joy riding toy.

And TJ's started his business out of a small house south of DPS station, on N. Lamar, between 51st & Koenig Lane. His shop didn't get its start at the location that's across from the Driver's license BLDG & Whataburger.

And, I remembered back in the 80's , a BMW m/c dealership on Burnet Rd & 41st, across from whole foods, the same bldg as the Ferrari dealership is right now?

Mc glory days.
With north America mc market so depressed, it's remarkable we are even being considered for a new model anything in the mc relm

Loved Woods, it was my dream land.

Reactions: Dao
The second one was the one I was talking about. It was so different when it came out. Stood out like a turd in a punch bowl. Wow they were way different back then. And fast. I think they only came in silver do you remember GJ? I do like the color on your older one. Bet you miss it?
Dao has a darker one above. I don't have actual memory of those because they were before I got into motorcycling. I'd read up in a magazine on a comparison on beginner bikes and the Katana 600 was highly rated for that purpose. I wasn't too fond of the color but they were knocking a grand off the $6K price so me and my roommate bought two of them.

Shortly after moving to Dallas it got tossed down I-30 in Garland. I was very sad at the time. I replaced it with a Honda CBR600 F4 and I liked that a lot. I had a coworker pick up a used Katana 600 and he, knowing I'd had one, asked me to test ride it to see if everything was ok. Compared to my CBR it felt very very budget. It was at that point that I stopped missing the old bike and really fell in love with the new one.

Funny thing, my old roommate still has hers and has offered to sell it to me for a song if I'd come get it out of their garage in Milwaukee. I considered it for a moment but realized I was only interested in the nostalgia and that I don't have room in the garage for nostalgia so I haven't accepted the offer. It has less than 10k miles and hardly ridden but gets hauled to the shop every spring for maintenance. I'm sure her shop loves that bike. :D

nevertheless, this would make a very nice weekend only, sunny day joy riding toy.
It would if you don't want to go too far. They reduced the GSX-S fuel tank from 4.5 gallons to 3.2 gallons. Ergos will be similar. The GSX-S is definitely a fun blast around bike and some folks have even taken multi day trips with the naked version, though I think the faired model would be better as a sport tourer.

I was excited for the new Katana but on learning what it is and seeing it, and the specs, I was disheartened about the whole thing and am sad to see that Suzuki has really just offered a dress up kit with restrictions to a great motorcycle instead of bringing something new and different to the table.

well that sux...3.2 gals ain't goona cut it in our big ol' great state of tx.
someone in engineering - or someone who signed off on it -needs to mop the shop floor & wipe down the toilets for that!!

as for katana.....I sure did like the old....obviously b/c time has come and gone, we're now accustomed to its radical shape
001-5.jpg

but the NEW (below) will take some time for the public to get used to...
001-42.jpg

I don't like how the engine has been hidden away from view on the new bike. But this is true of many new bikes. I am sure though that if I threw a leg over it and got in a nice ride, I wouldn't be so worried about such things :-P

South Austinite here. We had Kasson’s on S Lamar and a Suzuki/Guzzi shop on Ben White and Banister. Krum Kawasaki on Barton Springs. For Honda, we had to go North to Woods.

I remember drooling over the Katana at a Suzuki shop in Norfolk, Va. back when they came out. Funny thing, in 1980 I was in there looking at bikes when Reagan got shot. That Katana was so radical back then. Of course, I couldn't have one, but I had a KZ400 and an SR500 at the time. A Sailor with two motorcycles was cool back in 1980.

It looks like the fairing stay has broken, and the front dropped down but the rear stayed attached. Not a fan.

The old 600/750 Kats always had a reputation for being overweight or not great handling, but if you got past what people say, they are actually very easy bikes to ride, and reasonably comfortable.

MSRP is $2000 higher than the 2019 GSX-S1000. No thanks, I'll keep mine, don't see what would command such a price. $13,499.

Interesting, never heard a reviewer use the word "Smooth" that many times in the reviews of the GSX-S1000. Suzuki must have done some work in that department. That said, I spent about $5500 less for mine and fixed the non smoothness for MUCH less than that. Rode it this morning, all grins.

This is the guy who really sold me on my bike, love this review.

Jasen when he says "cute" in the sub-titles I am hearing a different word in audio. So there's that. He should compare it to the Super Duke. You can bring yours and we can go at it.

Back