• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nik Google Collection?

I know of them more as plugins for lightroom and photoshop. You can buy direct from Nik. Looks like they are just using Google as another online store front. The Silver Effects is very popular for B&W conversions.

I have no idea what Snapseed for Windows is so I can't comment.

But I have been a fan of the NIK plugins for I guess 7 or 8 years now. Google bought NIK about 18 months ago I guess, sometime last year in September of 2012.

I don't find myself much using NIK anymore while inside of LR now that I am using LR (CC), but I do still use it in Photoshop, specifically the DFINE plug in almost every time I go to photoshop.

Last edited:
Snapseed is an easy to use editor on the ipad. Didn't know Google picked up Nik.

So Duke has me 'almost' convinced to pick up a subscription to the Nik Collection. Man, does their film plug-ins make art.....

ITS FREE!!!

Google has made the NIK collection free now, for how long????? HURRY.

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Google 3.24.2016 said:
https://plus.google.com/+NikCollection/posts/AFGsG2Di7EK

Today we’re making the Nik Collection available to everyone, for free.

Photo enthusiasts all over the world use the Nik Collection to get the best out of their images every day. As we continue to focus our long-term investments in building incredible photo editing tools for mobile, including Google Photos and Snapseed, we’ve decided to make the Nik Collection desktop suite available for free, so that now anyone can use it.

The Nik Collection is comprised of seven desktop plug-ins that provide a powerful range of photo editing capabilities -- from filter applications that improve color correction, to retouching and creative effects, to image sharpening that brings out all the hidden details, to the ability to make adjustments to the color and tonality of images.

Starting March 24, 2016, the latest Nik Collection will be freely available to download: Analog Efex Pro, Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro, Viveza, HDR Efex Pro, Sharpener Pro and Dfine. If you purchased the Nik Collection in 2016, you will receive a full refund, which we’ll automatically issue back to you in the coming days.

We’re excited to bring the powerful photo editing tools once only used by professionals to even more people now. 

Last edited:
Thanks! Downloading now, not sure if I'll play with it much, but I'll certainly check it out.

So Duke has me 'almost' convinced to pick up a subscription to the Nik Collection. Man, does their film plug-ins make art.....

ITS FREE!!!

Google has made the NIK collection free now, for how long????? HURRY.

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Well I couldn't pass up FREE! Got it downloaded last night.

Be forewarned..... When you "Save" a file after an edit, it overwrites the original source file, so make sure to RENAME your new version in the process.

Well I couldn't pass up FREE! Got it downloaded last night.

Be forewarned..... When you "Save" a file after an edit, it overwrites the original source file, so make sure to RENAME your new version in the process.

Hmmmm??? How are you using it? It only adds a layer for me when I use it.

I opened a .jpg file with NIK directly, applied a filter, hit save. Went to my source file I opened originally and it was the new version/original name.

Learned something new. I only use it at a plugin as a companion in PS or LR. With LR it creates a new virtual copy and with PS it just creates a new layer.

My copy of NIK is about 3 years old now, I didn't know they even had a stand alone program, guess I should upgrade now too :)

I only tested the RAW sharpening as a plug in from LR. Creates a tiff and sends it over. I didn't see a file menu in the standalone. Do you just drag it in?

I just went to my Applications folder and opened up Analog Efex 2.0, then went to File/Open. Didn't use LR or PS/Elements at all.

Back