• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run V: Westward Ho! to Slaton 5/30 - The Report

Made it home around 5:20.
Seven of us ventured north through Yellowhouse canyon, then east, 4 of us Lubbock riders and the 3 Amarillo riders. The 3 Amarillo riders headed north when we hit 207, and the rest of us took a ride past White River Lake, into Spur, then on down to Post.
Good to know some riders, not only from Lubbock, but up from my stomping grounds in the Panhandle, too.

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet with everyone, maybe next time. For those of you I did meet and visit with, it was a pleasure and I hope to see everyone again soon!

Thanks for venturing out to West Texas!

I arrived safe and sound. Had a good time putting faces to people. Good day for a ride.

Four posts and not a single picture. I'm putting you guys on probation. :deal:

We are all too busy using our new spatulas to post pictures!!!

Made it home safe. It was a great ride you guys and gals, we should do this kind of stuff more often West Texas folks!

OK, first off, as reported above, the Amarillo group was home safe a little after 6pm, flb, kritter, and me. After splitting off from the Lubbock group, we took 207 north through the canyons outside Floydada, then the canyons from the southern end of Palo Duro canyon, on to Claude and then home.

It was absolutely great for the turnout. We Panhandlers know some of you really travelled long and hard. It was appreciated. We all thought it was great to finally meet some faces to put with the names. I took a few pics, none are great:

In this first one, Kritter and flb are attempting to get a good shot of a fried pie for cruisin', (who had a light but significant "event" on two wheels this past week and couldn't make it). Uh, cruisin', kritter bought extra pies, but well, I don't they were for delivery:

SANY1187.jpg

A group shot:

SANY1186.jpg

Now here, Chole is attempting to explain why 8700 miles of road and 13 curves make the Panhandle a great place to live. Please note that Chuck, (who has impeccable manners), is feigning interest, but on the other hand, Soozy is absolutely enthralled:

SANY1189.jpg

I couldn't get all the bikes, 18 or 19 I think, but just wanted to point out that Kaw Vulcans had the best representation:

SANY1185.jpg

Had a great time. Heck, even the wind cooperated. Hope all got home safe.

Denton Don (donroger1) and I hopped courthouse locations down 380 and 180. I just got in - he followed me home to pick up his CarbTune tool and then should be back home in Denton soon. :rider:

Great turnout - finally met some west Texas folks! I thought that the bakery was great - Mr. Wilson and his crew took good care of us. :sun:

I brought 2 whole pies home. :trust: :eat:

pics & tell-all tomorrow - I be tired - 440+ miles today, 777 on the GPS for a 2-day total. :yawn:

---

Oh - I did a bad thing - Don wanted to find out what all fuss about 'Stroms was about so we swapped bikes for about 30 miles between courthouses (I was surprised that he trusted me with his FJR). Now, I could get REALLY used to riding one of them thangs. :eek2:

Don will have to give his impression of the Wii-Strom... ;-)

What a great day! A lot of really nice bikes and really nice riders. The ladies impressed me with their abilities and gusto.

Gotta love the spatula for sure. Sitting here still in Slaton listening to the HDs all heading home from the Buffalo Lake bike and tatoo event.

I think we had a much nicer group of folks IMHO. Didn't really get to meet everyone but I think it can be said the group as a whole is representative of the individuals in attendance.

Mike is right, we West Texans need to get together and ride more often. A trip up to the twistys of the panhandle is in order once they are found.

Thanks for a great day ya'll. :clap:

I passed by all of ya'll about 12:45 pm when you were still parked outside the bakery about 12:45pm. I was heading home on my Adventure from an early morning dual sport run.

Fun day but long..................696.2 miles today!!!
The Bakery was great.
Good to meet Forrest and the other Panhandle gang. :wave:

Chuck's courthouse assignment is a labor of love........:sun:

After the ride up:giveup:, I was really needing something to occupy the ride home.

Chuck's Wee Strom was a surprisingly pleasant ride. It doesn't feel as tall as it looks.
Seemed pretty peppy at highway speeds until Chuck mentioned that sixth gear.

It was kinda like driving an old stepside pickup truck with a six cylinder and three speed column shift. It ain't pretty but it sure gets the job done.

Which bike makes Chuck's rear end seem happy????
This ride
IMG_0770.jpg

or This Ride. :mrgreen:
IMG_0771.jpg

Glad to have meet everyone one. The pie was good.

Was able to snap a pan shot with my phone.

IMAGE_299.jpg

Oh - I did a bad thing - Don wanted to find out what all fuss about 'Stroms was about so we swapped bikes for about 30 miles between courthouses (I was surprised that he trusted me with his FJR). Now, I could get REALLY used to riding one of them thangs. :eek2:

:trust: Assimilations come and go, I'm still riding a FJR over a year later. :mrgreen:

Seemed pretty peppy at highway speeds until Chuck mentioned that sixth gear.

:lol2: We had stopped in the town at a light and I asked Don "It only has 5 gears?" - He nodded and then asked "This one has six?" with a quizzical look on his face... :rofl:

That FJR was smooth - I can see how he rode almost 700 miles on it yesterday... :rider:

Which bike makes Chuck's rear end seem happy????
This ride
IMG_0770.jpg

or This Ride. :mrgreen:
IMG_0771.jpg

:clap::clap::clap:
I knew we would break you down Chuck. Are you smiling under that helmet? I bet you are. ;-)

Slaton Part I - the trail to Lubbock :-P

I met up with Paul ($hooter) and Ron (haven't seen his screen name yet) at the Racetrac in Lake Worth about 10:00 AM Friday morning.

They both ride Hondas. :roll:

We headed out SH199 and took SH114 just south of Jacksboro. We made a quick rest stop in OLney:

Ron (left) and Paul:

ron_paul_0637q.jpg

All three bikes:

olney_stop_0638q.jpg

The bike headed away from us turned around to make sure we were OK. It was a local on his '76 GoldWing - he said he had had it since '79. It has only 42000 miles on it as mainly local transportation.

L18_0639q.jpg

We had lunch in Seymour at a local place.

Near Guthrie is the famous 4 Sixes ranch:

6666ranch_0645q.jpg

Paul grew up in Lubbock and remembered going to a popular swimming hole near Dickens.

L18_0649q.jpg

He had checked it out last year and was disappointed that it was not the same. We stopped again to see if anything had changed. The state rest stop was very nice but the old swimming hole was pretty stagnant: :-(

L18_0650q.jpg

L18_0651q.jpg

We continued on to Lubbock and made a detour to MacKenzie Park where these fellows live:

pdogtown_0658q.jpg

Paul took us by his old home (for sale!) and also one they rented that had an interesting story to it. :trust:

I had already made a motel reservation and they didn't have anything reasonable left for Ron and Paul, so they found another spot. I joined them for dinner and we were shocked to find it was 11:45 when we got back to their room. So, we all called it a day... :yawn:

...to be continued...
(also have to get the photos off the other camera)

Last edited:
well I finally made it home at 2:00pm sun and right at 825mi.

Last edited:
I see Don gravitated towards what looks like to me to be either a supah-turbo cakemixer or a drill press.
I can't tell what it is in the picture. :-P

Arlene and I were not able to stay for pie but just thought we would swing by on our way to her sister's birthday party that was to be held in Lamesa on Saturday. We made it to Slaton just at 11:00 and only a few had arrived for pie but we got this photo of the group.

PieRunSlaton002.jpg

Arlene and I were not able to stay for pie but just thought we would swing by on our way to her sister's birthday party that was to be held in Lamesa on Saturday. We made it to Slaton just at 11:00 and only a few had arrived for pie but we got this photo of the group.

No place to park? :rofl:

Tell Arlene I said hi.

Back