• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Report & Pics] KLR650 Tech Day July 28, 2007

ham

Reaction score
Re: DFW KLR650 Tech Day July 28, 2007

Thank you chris and your wife for having the klr tech day had a good time.hope your cuts on your hand are ok klr riders are the best .:rider: james. h.

A great turnout today. My first tech day. The doo is done and was a piece of cake even though I missed the pie! Would have stayed all day if I hadnt had errands to run.

Thanks Curtis!

Curtis,

Thank you and your wife for allowing us to invade your shop and take over your Saturday. I had a great time, met a lot of great people and learned a lot at the same time. I'm overwhelmed by the hospitality.

The doo is done and the bike is running perfectly.

A big thank you, too, to all the folks who helped me out. I know Ham stepped in and got some of the tougher parts back together when I was standing around wondering what to do next. And, Curtis even sacrificed some skin and blood to get me going!

Thanks to everyone!! Great day!!!

Last edited:

thanks muchly, Curtis for hosting the tech day!
And thanks to Mr. Bill and others for resetting the forks and changing the rear tire on Whee. Whee and I thank you!

Most of all, it was appreciated that you let a lowly Wee-strom in dire straits invade the sanctity of the KLR territory. In fact, there were three V-stroms there. See, the KLRs and V-stroms can all get along! :clap:
They're Bro's ;-)

See, the KLRs and V-stroms can all get along! :clap:
They're Bro's ;-)

My Strom just seems to be the fatter one of the two......:lol2:

Curtis, thanks a million for letting the Strommers crash your party. Now I can officially say that I've seen a doohickey!! I can mark that off of my list of things to see in my life.

Oh yeah, and if your pipe bender shows up missing one day, don't look at me... I think Elzi took it.:trust: Honest......

Thanks for the hospitality again Curtis!

It was a great day at your place.

Curtis. You rock!
I think that you have the busiest shop I have ever seen.
Today it was the "Doo" capital of Texas.
Thanks for letting me hang around this afternoon!

Today was a great day for a Tech Day. Great weather and not so hot that the fans were almost enough.
We had so many Folks here I couldn't keep an accurate count.
We did 7 Doo Hickeys today, three valve checks, two Progreesive fork springs changes, one wiring fuse relocation kit, a 12 volt outlet install and a strom in a pear tree. Uh, make that new tennies on the Strom.

4 doo hickey spring were broken, but no tensioner brackets broke.

What a party. Ya'll don't know it but it was the best birthday party I've had in years.

Even had a group come by after the Pie Run.

After the work was done and many of the bikes left, we hung around the shop and bench raced the BS until the families were calling about when everyone was coming hime. :)

Even had three guys come down from Oklahoma. One all the way from Oklahoma City.

There was so many projects going on at one time it looked like the garage area at the Speedway.

Melissa was impressed with our guest she even suggested we think about cooking lunch for the next one. Caught me totally off gaurd there. I was thinking I was doing good just getting permission to have this one..

Glad everyone came and just wish I could remember everyones names. I made a list and tried to put faces to the names and screen names. But I'm sure I confused a few.

Ed and I are already planning on having a swing arm day here sometime after August. I haven't done mine and want to add grease zerks.

Thanks for being here.

Curtis

Curtis, thanks a million for letting the Strommers crash your party. Now I can officially say that I've seen a doohickey!! I can mark that off of my list of things to see in my life.
Me, too. Thanks for sharing all the doohicky stuff with us Strommers.
I just *had* to take a photo of the innards......
Oh yeah, and if your pipe bender shows up missing one day, don't look at me... I think Elzi took it.:trust: Honest......
Nah. It wouldn't fit on the luggage rack of the Whee with the tire strapped on so I put it back.

I think I could live in a shop like Curtis' and be quite happy :mrgreen:

Me, too. Thanks for sharing all the doohicky stuff with us Strommers.
I just *had* to take a photo of the innards......
Nah. It wouldn't fit on the luggage rack of the Whee with the tire strapped on so I put it back.

I think I could live in a shop like Curtis' and be quite happy :mrgreen:

Not enough straps on the Strom for the Bender?

Elzi, Did you get a doo hickey to put on your key chain? I have plenty.:rofl:

I don't know why someone would want to take my tubing bender when they can come over and use it. It's cheaper that way. Those dies are expensive.

Thanks for the "B" wishes!

What a party. Ya'll don't know it but it was the best birthday party I've had in years.Curtis

laola.jpg
birthday.gif
laola.jpg

:tab :tab :tab :tab :tab :tab :tab
Party2.gif

Thanks Curtis and Ed.

...We did 7 Doo Hickeys today, three valve checks, two Progreesive fork springs changes, one wiring fuse relocation kit, a 12 volt outlet install and a strom in a pear tree. Uh, make that new tennies on the Strom....

There were a lot of other things being done, too. Don't forget T-dubs oil change and rejet. Thanks for the use of the lift.

... Melissa was impressed with our guest she even suggested we think about cooking lunch for the next one. Caught me totally off gaurd there. I was thinking I was doing good just getting permission to have this one....

I hope Melissa is feeling better. I'll man the grill for a couple hours.

Oh, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Happy Birthday Curtis!! Thanks for letting us share the day with you even though you didn't tell us at the time!!! :clap:

Looking forward to the swingarm day. A cookout sounds great. Let us know what we can bring. I bet there will be volunteers lining up to help. :eat:

Happy Birthday Curtis. I can't believe no one took and posted pictures of the pandemonium in the shop.

Happy Birthday Curtis. I can't believe no one took and posted pictures of the pandemonium in the shop.

+1 on on the birthday.

I think that everyone is worn out - the pictures should start flowing today sometime, right LZ? ;-)

Sorry about the Quality. It is a cell phone photo. There are 8 KLR's being worked on at one time. This was just the first batch.

We had the shop set up in work stations. I'll do better at planning it out the logistics next time. It got a little rough getting the bikes past each other to get to the rear Doo Hickey stations.:) Which were completing their task faster than the other stations.
Not to be outdone by the Strom Tech Day, we had two Doo Hickey stations, 2 valve check/ front fork stations, two electrical/ what ever else stations, and 2 oil change stations with one access to the tire changing machine.

Next time I'll put the four wheeler rigs outdoors for the day. Then we can put the floor jack lifts across from the two lift "I" beam we used for the doo hickey swaps.

I wasn't sure where to put the platform lift. And I think it was more in the way than it should have been. But, it still got used.

Oh, and next time I need to add a spectator station! :rofl: We had a few. Which, I was glad to see because some of them got put to work.

My only regret is I didn't have time to sort my tools out and place the ones needed by the different stations. We had a lot of tool shuffling going on. And it would have been neat to have a tool tray between each spot rather than having the tool boxes, tool bags, and tool piles on the floor.

We also needed a clean area to put the pizza and drinks.

Like I said, I'll have the logistics thought out better next time.

All day I had my camera in my pocket and never got a picture. How sad.
I was too busy having fun. (And Bleeding)

I know there were pictures taken, I’m sure they’ll post up so you guys can see what you missed.

Squeaky, you know you challenged me!

Curtis

I combined the tech day and cobbler-with-ice cream run in a single thread here.

One or more of the jpg links won't 'work' and I got tired (aka frustrated) of unsuccessfully trying to fix it. Don't know if it's photobucket or TWT interface but every time I try to fix one, another doesn't work.

Again, Thanks to Curtis and all the rest of you!!!
Especially Bill for his gracious help in fixing Whee's woes.

Man oh man! The one thing I didn't want to miss, and I couldn't make it. :headbang:
I am glad that all that work got done, and everyone had fun. From the description, this rivals the Left Coast Tech Days! Thanks Curtis & Ed, particularly for planning another.

LZ, how about putting all the pix in one album (on TWT website or photobucket) and putting in a single link, rather than one at a time? It's less elegant, but it'll probably work 'till you sort it out. I MUST see the pix!

I combined the tech day and cobbler-with-ice cream run in a single thread here..

LZ, how about putting all the pix in one album (on TWT website or photobucket) and putting in a single link, rather than one at a time? It's less elegant, but it'll probably work 'till you sort it out. I MUST see the pix!
They're now all on the thread (click on link above) in the storytelling section.

We missed you, Tony!

:tab There have been several folks that have contacted me about link problems with photobucket. No other hosting service seems to have a problem. I don't know what the problem is, whether it is on our end or theirs. TWT and Photobucket just don't seem to want to play well together. Do you have trouble posting images on AdvRider when using Photobucket?

:tab I sure wish I could have been there for the tech day. Looks like it was a blast. One question though, I thought the engines were supposed to be 100% ambient temperature before doing the valves? This usually means letting them sit for several hours or even over night before doing the valves. Did you guys ride the bikes over and then do the valves? I could be one of those things where it really doesn't make a significant difference but I've never heard one way or the other. Just curious.

:tab I sure wish I could have been there for the tech day. Looks like it was a blast. One question though, I thought the engines were supposed to be 100% ambient temperature before doing the valves? This usually means letting them sit for several hours or even over night before doing the valves. Did you guys ride the bikes over and then do the valves? I could be one of those things where it really doesn't make a significant difference but I've never heard one way or the other. Just curious.

The guys that did valves trailered to tech day.

Back