• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride to the Pickett House, Woodville... tomorrow.

Planning to get there around 1100. Allows for a bit of "cooler" riding in the morning, and maybe beats the lunch crowd a bit. A couple guys are meeting us down our way to ride up together, and all are welcome to join, but if it's out of the way, we'll just see you there. For any "Southerner's", we'll be meeting at the Sunoco/Stripes at 0800, KSU @ 0830.

Last edited:
Corrected meeting/KSU times above for Southern group meeting in La Porte.

Well, I thought I might get my new front shock installed this evening and then ride out to meet ya'll tomorrow... but, it can NEVER be easy :headbang: To access the top shock bolt, I have to remove all the body work so I can pull the gas tank and air box. ONE of the screws holding the fairings to the gas tank will not come out. There is a threaded metal piece stuck in the plastic body of the gas tank. It is just spinning in place. I can't get it to just pull out either. So for now, I cannot remove the panel, gas tank, or airbox. I gave up and went inside, so my bike is all torn apart right now. Maybe looking at it with fresh eyes tomorrow will help :roll:

Well that slurps! We were looking forward to seeing you again, Scott; it's been awhile. Git-er-done, and we'll see you on the next one. Don't worry though, I'll be sure to eat a piece of that delicious fried chicken for you! :lol2:

... ONE of the screws holding the fairings to the gas tank will not come out. There is a threaded metal piece stuck in the plastic body of the gas tank. It is just spinning in place. I can't get it to just pull out either. ..

Try quick bursts with an impact gun. Once out (hopefully) try injecting some JB Weld or epoxy around the threaded insert. Put a bolt in the threads so it doesn't get filled wirh epoxy. Always use anti-sieze on those screws and don't overtighten ( like the shop that last tightened that screw for you).

Man, that was a lot better ride than I thought it would be. Temps going up was actually pleasant, and the route we took kept us moving with almost no stops, so it was great. We arrived right at 1100 and were the first folks in for the day. It became crowded by the time we left, so timing was perfect. We had a fifth join us unexpectedly, so it was a nice surprise. Wish I had taken more pics, but I guess the conversations and food was too good to interrupt. It was great seeing everyone again, and hope y'all made it back safe and sound. See you at the EOM ride in a few weeks!

PXL_20240608_155855201.jpg

1 year and 9 months - I'll have my weekends back.

Try quick bursts with an impact gun. Once out (hopefully) try injecting some JB Weld or epoxy around the threaded insert. Put a bolt in the threads so it doesn't get filled wirh epoxy. Always use anti-sieze on those screws and don't overtighten ( like the shop that last tightened that screw for you).

Put the screw under tension while driving it out by slipping a screwdriver or equivalent under the head.

The insert spun so easily the impact would not likely have worked. I have used that method on other stuck fasteners though with some success. I tried the screw driver method as well, no luck. It seems that these inserts have a little flange around the bottom of them that keeps them from being able to pull out of the plastic. I wish they had put that much effort into keeping them from spinning :doh: It also seems that this is a relatively common issues on the newer GSs. The solution that seems to have worked was to just convert the bolt to a 1/4 turn fastener with a Dremel and a cutting wheel. I also added a bit of anti-seize to the remaining inserts. I've had these screws out many times and never had an issue before, so not sure why it suddenly decided to seize as I have always been very careful (like paranoid OCD careful) not to over torque or cross-thread them.

I did finally get the shock installed Saturday evening. It took me close to five hours just because of all the hassles in dealing with all the body parts, screws, tabs, etc... :suicide: I took a nice ride Sunday afternoon on the bumpiest paved and dirt roads I could find. The difference was amazing once I got the settings dialed in. I found myself going alarmingly faster on the dirt roads. The ride was so much smoother that my sense of speed was way off. At one moment I realized just how fast I was going and thought to myself that I had better slow down! I have seen deer in the area on other days and it would REALLY suck to hit one at that speed. Literally a split second after that thought formed completely in my mind a deer shot out of the high grass to my left, straight across my bow, and into the high grass on the right. I had already rolled off, but did not have time to even think about hitting the brakes, not that it would have helped because I missed the hindquarters by maybe a foot or so. This thing was so freaking fast that it was able to make a hard turn and start running through the high grass on my right, pacing me for 20 yards or so, before it found the hole in the tree line it was looking for and disappeared... I got the message loud and clear and slowed down!! :wary:

Hey, man, God is good! Just wasn't your time. As for the plastics thing, you ought to try a scooter; talk about total frustration! The clips, screws, plugs are all hidden (on purpose for a clean look) and about the only videos you can find are never in English. Glad you figured it out though.

Back