• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sandstone trail, May 20

RollingJ

You can be a 0 or a
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Sims
I'm going to be riding the Sandstone trail on Saturday, May 20, if the weather allows. I should be putting the kickstand up about 9am. I'm not going to be running race pace, just a casual trail ride, and you are welcome to join me.

This is in Louisiana, and the trailhead is at Lotus Camp in the Kisatchie National Forest. There is a $5 day use fee, so bring cash. Also, there is no gas within 20 miles, so fill up the tank and maybe top off the gas can. The loops are about 30 miles and I'd like to do two, but we shall see.

Wish I had the energy for a road trip, sadly I don't. Sounds fun.

Rob, you would enjoy Sandstone, tons of sand and some excellent trail. Because of its location it doesn't get as beat up as other areas. Just a long drive, almost four at least for me to the Lotus Camp. There is another trailhead on the west side that is three hours +..

The trail was perfect today, I was really enjoying the ride, taking it easy, just me and myself.

20230520_091539.jpg

53 miles into a 60 mile ride I went over the bars and did something heinous to my left shoulder. It took a few minutes to catch my breath, but I was able to get the bike up and turned around and rode about a mile of trail one handed until I came to a forest service road. I was able to make it back to my truck and a few riders at the camp got me loaded up.

I was able to take my gear off with only a little screaming and now, 3 hours later, I'm in the ER.

They just walked in and told me I fractured my humerus.

So sorry to hear that and sorry you had to go it alone! Just too far for me to day trip.

Great reminder to not ride alone! Hope its not too serious. Guessing it was left arm?

Yes, left.

After my crash last September I was set on quitting, but it meant to much to me. I promised my wife that if I had another major accident I would be done. And here we are.

That's a bummer but you will carry on. I bet you can wrench one handed for a while. Heal well and stay well.

After my crash last September I was set on quitting, but it meant to much to me. I promised my wife that if I had another major accident I would be done. And here we are.

Well that sucks, sorry to hear. Did you define major accident? You might still have some wiggle room?

Wow! I hate to hear this. Hope it heals good and doesn't need anything special.

Well, somewhat good news.

No surgery as of now. I just have to be very careful.

20230522_091101.jpg

Please be careful and heal a year. You are young and have many years to ride. When you get old like me that shoulder will let you know when a cold front is comming :thumb:
At 72 I hurt every day from injuries in my early life, If I could go back I definitely wouldn't have raced MX or football. Three Tylenol a night just to get some sleep.
Enjoy your wrenching I know you are good.

I'm fighting the good fight. As long as I can keep the 'ice cream in the cone' I won't need surgery, but I'm very uncomfortable. An unexpected sneeze almost took me out yesterday.

Work has been very accommodating; I've been doing filling, answering phones, inventory, and pulling out the rest of my hair.

Very sorry to hear this and that you were alone. I really enjoy Sandstone but Sunday was our 50th anniversary and we had a trip planned. No way I could take a chance on something that could ruin that trip. I fully understand your thoughts at this time. Good luck. :thumb:

Back