• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sat.2/11/06 last minute DS burger run

dbdolan

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Dolan
Well it was a windy day, the temps. were around 45deg. and a high of 52 deg. and winds were blowing atleast 30mph. I had a full face helmet and I still got wind burned on my face. This run was similar to the ride that me (dbdolan), GeorgiaPeach, Thumper, and Desmo did a couple of weeks ago up to Shiro via county roads and forest roads. I just extended it up to Bedias, the total mileage was around 180 miles.
I met fellow KLR rider James Cain at the Texaco in Montgomery
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias002.jpg

So we headed north on 149 towards the national forest, before we got to 1375 we turned onto a little twisty road Osburn rd. which cuts over to 1375 just before stubblefield. We took NF 208 up to the north west trailhead, it was closed due to all the rain on Friday.
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias003.jpg

We came out on 1791 and went north a short way to NF 209 and headed west(near outlaw trax). continued on the dirt road then turned right on Cedar Hill dr., then to Hoke rd., and to Bays Chapel rd. up to Red Top rd. which becomes CR 233 all the way to Shiro, TX.
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias004.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias005.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias006.jpg

I was telling James that there is this place in Shiro that has a excellent burger(hence the burger run) it is a grocery store/hardware store/grill/and they also have video poker machines:lol2: if your feeling lucky.
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias009.jpg

Burger Time!!!:eat:
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias011.jpg

James is about to throw down on it.
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias010.jpg

mmmm juicy...I mean greasssssy..
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias012.jpg

So back on the road, we headed back east on 30 a mile or two and found CR 228 and went north
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias014.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias015.jpg

and found our way to the Mustang cemetery which was in the middle of no where.
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias029.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias016.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias017.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias018.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias019.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias020.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias021.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias023.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias024.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias025.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias026.jpg

So back on the dirt roads up to CR 146
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias031.jpg

Then to Scales Ranch rd. heading north
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias032.jpg

eventually came out on FM 1696 then hit the paved road heading west to Bedias, TX
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias033.jpg

In Bedias we then headed south on 90 for a few miles past 39 then found CR 179 and headed east which turns into CR 279 and then runs into FM 2562 a short bit to CR 219 then left on CR 220
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias034.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias035.jpg

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias038.jpg

CR 220 dumped us out on FM 149 just west of Richards, we then took 149 back to Montgomery and then I headed back home.
I guess we probably did 50% dirt and 50% paved, it was good to get home and out of the wind.

Last edited:
:clap: :argh:
1. Great ride, great pics.
2. Another thread convincing me that I should have a DS type bike also.:rider:

Fund roads, I spent a LOT of time exploring out in that area! In the summer when it dries out, some of that sand can be REAL exciting ;-)

Nice trip report and pictures. I need to go up there one of these days with the DR.

:tab I have been driving by that little gas station in Shiro since it was opened. I have never bothered to stop because I had no idea they had food. Those burgers look very appetizing! Looks like I have a new place to add to my list.

You only went there so you could document those hamburgers pictorally (is that a word?) I see you caught a picture of my favorite outhouse in the woods also.

I had to do car things on Saturday (service engine light was on again so trip to Nissan, then to Mr. Sticker). Then I had to go by Global Motorsports. While I was there Mark called and said he needed a socket wrench, so I drove home and got out the gs for it's maiden voyage by me. I had to meet them in the old oaks subdivision off of Stuebner and 1960 area, and let me tell you that wind was MEAN! On the way back home I took her up 2978 just to 1488 then turned around and went home, the gs moves in the wind more than the Kawasaki, but about the same as the DR-Z. I'm not taking her off road until I get an engine guard and better skidplate.

Weird... I'm sure I saw this same circular emblem on a headstone we saw New Year's Day on our Fannin County DS ride, but it had more dirt and moss growing on it, so I couldn't make out the words.

DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias021.jpg

They are very common in all the little cemeteries I have found around here. No doubt some secret soceity bent on world domination... :-P

The grave markers are "Woodsmen of the World" markers. I heard that it was a life insurance company and the marker was part of the package. These markers are found in many East Texas cemeteries.

Tourmeister said:
They are very common in all the little cemeteries I have found around here. No doubt some secret soceity bent on world domination... :-P

The Pentavret, perhaps... meeting biannually at a secret mansion in Colorado known as, "The Meadows."

I sure had some good times riding with Bryan all those years ago. He was always cheerful. Always ready for adventure. Always willing to go first if you were willing to shoot the video :lol2: He put that KLR through its paces! RIP Bryan. :zen:

My thought exactly , we spent a week camped in Cabristo canyon New Mexico in 2008 , ate like pigs , camped in style and rode every day . While I was cooking Bryan would download everybody’s pictures from the day and we would have movies after dinner .

Back