• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sedalia/Shawnee Trail

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike in Clear Lake
  • Start date Start date
M

Mike in Clear Lake

Does anybody know if there is a Sedalia Trail trace that can be done on today's roads via motorcycle? The Sedalia Trail, also known as The Shawnee Trail, was an old cattle trail used to move cattle from Texas to Sedalia, Missouri.

Some of you older guys will recall that the trail was the basis for the old TV series Rawhide starring Eric Fleming. Clint Eastwood took over the leading role after Fleming died in Peru while filming a movie.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

cattletrails.jpg

There are a couple reservoirs in the way in Oklahoma.

Thanks Ken. I did see that map on one of the sites. It's helpful, but I will have to start digging more to lay out an asphalt ride that parallels that somewhat. I'm going to try and pick out some historical sites along the way as I research more about the old cattle trail. Hopefully I will have the research and a route prepared by April '09.

Cheers,

Mike

Looking more into this I see I need to get a copy of a trail diary by a George C. Duffield. He apparently recorded his trail ride along the Sedalia Trail and it was recorded in a journal The Annals of Iowa circa 1924. This will provide some interesting sleuthing.

Mike

EDIT: http://rawhide.dhamel.com/DuffieldDiary.pdf Wow! The stuff you can find on the internet!

Last edited:

Some of you older guys will recall that the trail was the basis for the old TV series Rawhide starring Eric Fleming. Clint Eastwood took over the leading role after Fleming died in Peru while filming a movie.

Mike

"I'll take 'Stuff You Won't Believe I Know' for $1,000, Alex"

443890186_WxS3c-L.jpg

Lol! Yeppers, Eric Fleming was really a kick-butt kinda dude. Eastwood closed out the series after Fleming died, which lasted only one season more. I have the old series on DVD and Eastwood really was just a kid when he was playing that role.

I wish I would have had these shows back when I was in the Army to show the troops. I am surprised at all the leadership lessons in each of the episodes. Actually each episode's title started out with "incident", as in The Incident at...

BTW, the term "come **** or high water" is actually a cattle drive term, being that the cattle would be driven whether the river water was high and whatever **** lay between river crossings.

I've downloaded the diary, talk about an adventure ride! :eek2:

Mike

Back