• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Spring Along the Brazos

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Needed to dust off the knobbies and the weather was good so a quick trip through the Brazos Valley was called for. Did some exploring and found a couple of roads on the map that looked promising but ended with a locked gate (the real deal). Stumbled onto some others that aren't. Still trying to put together some loops that would be worth sharing as a group.

The valley is up and running for another farming season. Corn's just peaking from the soil, wheat's looking OK despite the drought.

DSCN1619-1.jpg

Noticed a lot of electric fences around the fields only two wires high. Looked like they were built for really short cattle. Here's why...

DSCN1290-1.jpg

The big bridge over the Brazos headed out. Looking north at the remains of old Port Sullivan. In the 1800's they had a university here. This is all that remains now.

DSCN1280-1.jpg

Along the road. Folks used to live out here before...

DSCN0520-1.jpg

And now...Laissez les bons temps rouler.

DSCN1621-1.jpg

Here's the old moonshiner's cabin...or what's left of it.

DSCN1623.jpg

Right beside the old cabin were these...just randomly growing. Spring..."the lillies of the field clothed in all their glory."

DSCN1625.jpg

Ran across this old bridge rusting away out somewhere just left of the middle of no where.

DSCN1628.jpg

Not sure if I'd want to venture out there.

DSCN1629.jpg

This is such a beautiful church on a spring morning. An older lady next door was planting her garden. Seemed like a glimpse of better times.

DSCN1630.jpg

Others came, lived and slowly dissolved into the past.

DSCN1301.jpg

DSCN1295.jpg

Further along...times past.

DSCN1632.jpg

Most roads are well maintained.

DSCN1633.jpg

DSCN1631.jpg

Others, not so much. Ah...but let those bon temp get even better!

DSCN1328-1.jpg

DSCN1627-1.jpg

DSCN1634-1.jpg

DSCN1642.jpg

DSCN1643.jpg

These gals have some serious hardware to help entertain the local cowpokes.

DSCN1312.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

One of the escapees. Just looking for a bike to mess with...and me.

DSCN1635.jpg

Nuther old bridge...that creek bed sure looked inviting. You know, I don't see why anyone should mind...

DSCN1636.jpg

This is the old Sugar Loaf Mountain bridge. With the "mountain" in the background. Goes over the Little river. Very well maintained historical site.

DSCN1638-1.jpg

DSCN1639.jpg

There's a short stretch way out here where dogwoods grow. Very out of place. Not yet fully bloomed...but soon.

dogwoods.jpg

No particular purpose here...just thought y'all might enjoy the scenery of an early spring ride along the Brazos. :rider:

Great ride report, man, awesome snapshots! We were just there three weeks ago-guess we missed ya, ha!
CIMG0590.jpg
CIMG0585.jpg
CIMG0587.jpg

No one would climb the mud banks-but I know you RG...all over it, huh?

The flowers are irises. They're perennials, and they spread on their own pretty well in Texas. The original bulbs may have been planted 100 years ago. Who knows?

Nice report and pics.

When I was a child, I don't remember seeing any color of Iris except white and yellow. Now there are literally hundreds of colors. Wild growing white ones are still my favorite. If one searched around the site, I'm sure there would be some evidence of a house long rotted away. It appears you had a nice day of riding. Thanks for sharing.

That fencing is against hogs. The way the ground is torn-up is typical. If they get through to the frsh planted corn, sing goodnight sister!

Wow, I could get lost looking at these pictures - thanks for the awesome share!! :thumb:

Back