• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Street legal 4-wheeler?

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
I know these (4-wheelers in general) are the devil's work, but how can this be advertised as street legal? (aside from shady salesmanship)
Simply adding headlights, brakelights and DOT tires does not make everything under the sun street legal. Motorcycles are defined in the Tx Tranportation code as having 3 wheels or 2. Anything else is a car/truck and requires seatbelts and more.
Is this exploiting a loophole in the golf cart allowance? :scratch:

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2361169988.html
street legal 4 wheeler motorcycle - $6 (westchase/southwest)
Date: 2011-05-03, 8:28PM CDT

Only one in Texas to sell street legal 4 wheeler motorcycles we can stretch them and customize there doing 55 miles per gallon call James now "want last" (xxx-xxx-xxxx) call James any time

I know of one we had borrowed and it was made street legal in MI then shipped down. The owner hadn't tried to renew the tags in TX so I'm not sure if that would pass muster at the DPS office, but it's possible they are doing the paperwork out of state.

I know in other states you can get them passed.. just do not know how that would work here.. I know I would love to ride my trx to work.. that would be fun.. I even thought about getting it plated up in Mass. (have a place up there) and bring it back here.. I just do not think it would work.

Here's one I saw in Switzerland a few years ago.... Street legal there.

IIRC, there's another thread or two floating around on this topic and it's the same quad in the pic as what they are offering for sale. I'd have to either dig or look at a high res image somewhere in my files for the name...

Seems to me a quick call to DPS would answer the question of legality.

0804Neuchatel93001.jpg

Its done in Michigan and other places with extreme winters cause thats thier primary transportation during really bad winters. We dont get bad snowed in winters here. 4 wheelers with their short wheel base are not safe at Highway speeds. Theres no way this is gonna fly here.

official licensed state inspector here and the answer is NO!

no seat belts, no wiper blade, no windshield (while windshield is not required, the wiper has to work and make good contact) cars also require at least two headlights, two tail and two brake lights and one back up light.

they may be doing a runaround and getting a motorcycle registration but you will get stopped on that.

You can get 4 wheelers street licensed here in MT without much effort. People run around town on them all the time.

My granddad (turns 89 this Saturday) has a golf cart he drives around Cooper, TX. It has a LP and is "street legal". I think the local magistrate kind of allowed it since it's a very small town and Granddad isn't getting too far from home on it.

Here's one I saw in Switzerland a few years ago.... Street legal there.

IIRC, there's another thread or two floating around on this topic and it's the same quad in the pic as what they are offering for sale. I'd have to either dig or look at a high res image somewhere in my files for the name...

Seems to me a quick call to DPS would answer the question of legality.

0804Neuchatel93001.jpg

If what they're selling are actually street legal they're doing it through some sort of loophole that the DPS isn't likely to tell you about. I also imagine if it were possible we'd see other people doing it.

I'd ride one.

I think with golf carts they fell under a different deal. You use to be able to get them plated, but now you can't. However you can still legally ride them on the road. You are suppose to display a large caution triangle on the back, and IIRC stick to residential streets. In order to qualify for this the vehicle can't exceed 25mph or something.

you see lots of golf carts in beach house neighborhood for getting to and from the water

Some local jurisdictions have done it for "golf carts"...no freeway driving, slow moving vehicle emblem, lights, insurance, etc. etc. etc...

Port Aransas, Surfside Beach are two places I know of.

I believe golf carts can fall into the 'neighborhood electric vehicle' standard as summarized here:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/pages/Electric.htm

When Austin approved that law (2 years ago?), local ordinances went up all over the state to further regulate their operation.

I can't see these quads as falling into that category. Texas law does allow driving ATVs on public roads for agricultural use (up to 25 miles!) with proper equipment. But as Leon stated, they are not to be inspected regardless of how they are equipped.

Couple of years ago, I pulled up at the intersection of Weslayan and Westpark in Houston and a 4 wheeler was sitting at the light. I noticed when he went by a license plate on the back.

Put a rectangular "slow moving plackard" from Tractor Supply on the rear of the atv, and go for it. You are on the way to the feed store aren't you? HB

Put a rectangular "slow moving plackard" from Tractor Supply on the rear of the atv, and go for it. You are on the way to the feed store aren't you? HB

lol.. I do not think that would work running 75+ up 75 on the trx..lol but it would be fun to try..

Keith Smith over at GG Quad has some....
GG%20Quad%20-%20white%20with%20rider%202.jpg

In a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" kind of deal, they make them in 3-wheelers now. Much easier to get tagged now that CanAm broke the ice.

GGTaurus_01.jpg

The answer is no in Texas for sure, but where you live depends on the law enforcement and how the officers look, or overlook the riding of off road vehicles on their city streets and local county roads. I live in a rural area and people with side by sides, 4 wheelers, gold carts, etc. ride them all over. We usually ride to the side of the road, but will be on the pavement at times. Put a slow moving vehicle triangle on the back will probably save you a ticket, but ride to the side of the road to be safe. Like I said, it's a local thing in most places.

John

I'd like to see a way to make a Polaris Razr street legal. Those can almost make highway speeds, actually fast enough for most state highways. Probably wouldn't want to get out on the interstate with one. Rollbars, harnesses for the occupants ect.

Throw some all-terrain tires on it and you have a pretty good two person vehicle for getting around. Fun also. :D

I'd like to see a way to make a Polaris Razr street legal. Those can almost make highway speeds, actually fast enough for most state highways. Probably wouldn't want to get out on the interstate with one. Rollbars, harnesses for the occupants ect.

Throw some all-terrain tires on it and you have a pretty good two person vehicle for getting around. Fun also. :D

I'm with you. UTVs, mini trucks, and four wheelers all could serve a legitimate transportation purpose.

Back