• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Temp Transport Tag for Motorcycle in Texas

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can get a temporary transport tag for a MC in Texas? I know you can print one out for cars/trucks but cannot seem to find one for motorcycles. Thanks for the help.

Only available for cars & trucks. Motorcycles and trailers cannot get a transit permit.

_

Tags stay with the bike in Texas. Don't let the seller keep the tags.

Sent from my handheld universal data mining enabler

For cars and trucks you can keep your plates and transfer to another car or truck. Say you just paid for two years of registration a few months ago, all those unused fees can be transferred. Not so with motorcycles, plates cannot be transferred so all prepaid registration stays with the bike.

Not giving the plates when you sell forces the buyer to transfer the title sooner and as stated prevents red light violations and toll road violations from coming back to bite you. I sell both ways depending on my gut feel on the buyer and circumstances of sale.

-

We've been through this a couple of times. Your county tax office can provide transfer tags for a motorcycle if the owner visits the tax office. Expect to pay again for the real tags in a second trip and don't expect the tax office to know this section of the statute. As my county tax assessor asked what's the point? Temporary tags are available on line only for cages.

Manual in PDF

30-Day Permits
The 30-day permit is valid for a period of 30 days inclusive of the date of issuance.
The permit is available for passenger vehicles, motorcycles, private buses, trailers, and
semitrailers with a gross weight not exceeding 10,000 lbs., and for light commercial
vehicles not exceeding a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 lbs. A commercial vehicle
exceeding a gross weight of 10,000 lbs. is eligible for the permit if operating unladen.
• The fee for a 30-day permit is $25.The operator may purchase the permit at any county tax assessor-collector's office or at any TxDMV Regional Service Center.
Nonresident-owned Farm Transport Vehicles Motor Vehicle Registration Manual 16-9 TxDMV July 2013
• Proof of insurance is required for a 30-day permit.
• Do not issue 30-day permits for a vehicle apprehended in this State for operating
unregistered or with expired license plates. In such instances, the owner must purchase
registration and pay a penalty equal to 20% of the applicable fee.
• Do not issue 30-day permits for the operation of a junked, salvage, or non-repairable
vehicle.
• The tag must be displayed in the rear window of the vehicle, if the vehicle does not
have a rear window, the operator must carry the registration receipt in the vehicle any
time the vehicle is in-transit.
Section 16.8

That's exactly what I need thanks! And thanks to everyone else who gave suggestions.

We've been through this a couple of times. Your county tax office can provide transfer tags for a motorcycle if the owner visits the tax office. Expect to pay again for the real tags in a second trip and don't expect the tax office to know this section of the statute. As my county tax assessor asked what's the point? Temporary tags are available on line only for cages.

Manual in PDF

30-Day Permits
The 30-day permit is valid for a period of 30 days inclusive of the date of issuance.
The permit is available for passenger vehicles, motorcycles, private buses, trailers, and
semitrailers with a gross weight not exceeding 10,000 lbs., and for light commercial
vehicles not exceeding a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 lbs. A commercial vehicle
exceeding a gross weight of 10,000 lbs. is eligible for the permit if operating unladen.
• The fee for a 30-day permit is $25.The operator may purchase the permit at any county tax assessor-collector's office or at any TxDMV Regional Service Center.
Nonresident-owned Farm Transport Vehicles Motor Vehicle Registration Manual 16-9 TxDMV July 2013
• Proof of insurance is required for a 30-day permit.
• Do not issue 30-day permits for a vehicle apprehended in this State for operating
unregistered or with expired license plates. In such instances, the owner must purchase
registration and pay a penalty equal to 20% of the applicable fee.
• Do not issue 30-day permits for the operation of a junked, salvage, or non-repairable
vehicle.
• The tag must be displayed in the rear window of the vehicle, if the vehicle does not
have a rear window, the operator must carry the registration receipt in the vehicle any
time the vehicle is in-transit.
Section 16.8

I emailed the DMV before the question was answered by Meriden. I asked "Can I keep my plates when I sell a motorcycle?"

They answered today.
Dear Mr. Breece,

Thank you for your email. You should keep the license plates on the motorcycle when being sold.

We do recommend you complete the vehicle transfer notification within 30 days of the sale date to protect yourself.

To protect yourself from any liability, please complete a vehicle transfer notification within 30-days from the date you sold the vehicle.

Sent from my handheld universal data mining enabler

So bumping an older thread, but I am selling my bike, and since I registered it as a "Classic" (25 years or older) I used a old period correct license plate when I registered it, and want to keep that plate on the new bike I am planning on buying (also a "Classic").
So I can just pull the plate off when I sell it?

There is no need to keep the plate, unless it is a vanity plate that you paid for, or if it has some value to you (which sounds like it's the case here). You can file a vehicle transfer notification that prevent you from being liable for tolls, accidents, etc. after the transfer date/time.

You can file it online or by mail. I usually do it as soon as I get home from the sale.

The registration record will be in record for the buyer, whether you leave the plate on the bike or not. The tax assessor's office will ask the buyer if the old plate is still on the vehicle. If not, the buyer will pay a nominal fee for a new plate, but should still get credit for the remainder of the previous registration transferred to the new plate.

I have the vehicle transfer website already saved, had issue with a plate a few years ago that I traded to a deal (got a call from Bexar County Sheriff about the plate, which was a custom plate I transfered to new vehicle, but forgot to take off old vehicle).
I was planning on putting on the plate that I had on it before so they at least have a plate on there, and less chance of being pulled over vs no plate at all.

The plate I have now I plan on putting on my next bike, so not sure how the registration fee will work for that, especially since it is all being handled by mail now.

You can call in and ask, but I'm pretty sure the registration stays with the vehicle, not the license plate. You can transfer the license plate from vehicle to vehicle, of course, and I've done that with an old Ham Radio Operator plate I had.

BTW, my local tax assessor's office re-opened about a month ago. I went in as soon as it did to take care of my long overdue new bike reg. They took my forehead temp and, IIRC, required a mask (I had mine with me).

From TxDMV.gov:

It is simple and free to transfer your license plates to your new vehicle. The TxDMV encourages you to transfer your plates because it protects you. Your local county tax assessor-collector's office will assist with the transfer and issue you a new registration sticker for your vehicle.

You may transfer your plates:
  • Between vehicles you own. Your local county tax assessor-collector’s office will issue a new registration sticker for your vehicle.
  • To a vehicle purchased from a dealer. Remove the plates and request that the dealer transfer the plates to the new vehicle.
  • To a vehicle purchased from a private party. Register the plates with your local county tax assessor-collector office when you title the vehicle in your name.
  • To a leased vehicle.
  • From a vehicle titled jointly to a vehicle titled in your name alone. If your name has not changed.
Be sure to remove the registration sticker on your old vehicle when you take off the plates.

Note:
  • General issue plates may be transferred to passenger vehicles and trucks weighing one ton or less.

OK, the website says that they are closed here in Harris County. Maybe site has not been updated?
Never hurt to call to confirm. Fort Bend tax assessors' office reopened back in May 4th. Governor has extended the waiver for any late fees and registration penalties till 60days after the disaster declaration is lifted, so not sure if that helps you. It did in my case, since my title app and reg was seriously late.

Never hurt to call to confirm. Fort Bend tax assessors' office reopened back in May 4th. Governor has extended the waiver for any late fees and registration penalties till 60days after the disaster declaration is lifted, so not sure if that helps you. It did in my case, since my title app and reg was seriously late.
Mansfield was open last week when I went.

I think most are open now unless you live in one of the cities where leaders have made it more restrictive such as Dallas, Houston or Austin.

Mansfield was open last week when I went.

I think most are open now unless you live in one of the cities where leaders have made it more restrictive such as Dallas, Houston or Austin.
Yup, I am in Harris county, I have the genius that came up with the 4 level warning chart (5 levels are the standard, but it is more dramatic with 4).

From TxDMV.gov:

It is simple and free to transfer your license plates to your new vehicle. The TxDMV encourages you to transfer your plates because it protects you. Your local county tax assessor-collector's office will assist with the transfer and issue you a new registration sticker for your vehicle.

You may transfer your plates:
  • Between vehicles you own. Your local county tax assessor-collector’s office will issue a new registration sticker for your vehicle.
  • To a vehicle purchased from a dealer. Remove the plates and request that the dealer transfer the plates to the new vehicle.
  • To a vehicle purchased from a private party. Register the plates with your local county tax assessor-collector office when you title the vehicle in your name.
  • To a leased vehicle.
  • From a vehicle titled jointly to a vehicle titled in your name alone. If your name has not changed.
Be sure to remove the registration sticker on your old vehicle when you take off the plates.

Note:
  • General issue plates may be transferred to passenger vehicles and trucks weighing one ton or less.
Yep, I called out local tax office and they said to keep your plate when you sell to another private party.

That way you have your registered plate to transfer another vehicle, so I take that as them telling me to go buy another bike

Back