• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Forts Trail… anyone

Reaction score
Trying to map out a couple short trips come warmer weather, has anyone ever ridden The Texas Forts Trail? Worth it? Any information would be greatly appreciated ie: must see spots or notable places to eat. If that’s not worth it, I guess maybe The Flint Hills in Kansas than over to Missouri and Arkansa. TIA

Rexford

Trying to map out a couple short trips come warmer weather, has anyone ever ridden The Texas Forts Trail? Worth it? Any information would be greatly appreciated ie: must see spots or notable places to eat. If that’s not worth it, I guess maybe The Flint Hills in Kansas than over to Missouri and Arkansa. TIA

Rexford
If you're a fan of Texas history/the Old West, then yes it's worth it. Fun to walk the ground that the old western movies glorified.
Of course I'm a fan of the desert and the wide open prairies.
We put together a small group a few years ago and traced the trail. Ft Chadbourne and McKavett were my favorites.
Ft Davis in the Big Bend area isn't on the Trail list but we added it and made the run out there anyway.

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

Texas Fort.jpg

+1 for Fort McKavett. Presidio de San Saba is right next door. They say that Jim Bowie put his name on the entrance. Considering where it is, I suppose it is possible.

Attachments

• IMG_7967.jpg
    IMG_7967.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7992.jpg
    IMG_7992.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 58
If you're a fan of Texas history/the Old West, then yes it's worth it. Fun to walk the ground that the old western movies glorified.
Of course I'm a fan of the desert and the wide open prairies.
We put together a small group a few years ago and traced the trail. Ft Chadbourne and McKavett were my favorites.
Ft Davis in the Big Bend area isn't on the Trail list but we added it and made the run out there anyway.

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

Texas Fort.jpg
Would a RT be suitable for said journey? Thanks, Rexford

Additionally.... For those wanting to start near central Texas. It's also not on the Trail but we started our tour in Burnet at the Fort Croghan Museum.
Small but worth it.
Google Maps shows it as permanently closed but the website says they will be open for 2023.

Thank you very much for the time and information that you have shared. Using the information sent from the state and a Texas Atlas and Gazetteer. Figure by the time spring comes around I should have everything mapped out.

Have a great day,

Back