• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The RACK

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Pure necessity. Which is a Muther.

We have some folks here at TWT who enjoy making sparks fly and coming up with stuff along the way. Our motto is “Why spend a hundred bucks buying something when you can spend three hundred building it?” They should chisel this on my headstone someday.

The old way… worked OK but left little room and didn't come out so easily. Dozens of holes drilled through the floor.

DSCN0146.jpg

ArkNov13038.jpg

The next trailer was designed to carry cars and had six hard point tie-downs. Four that were heavy duty D-rings mounted through the floor.

This project had design constraints on both ends and several requirements for versatility scattered along in between. It needed to:

1. Haul motorcycles with reasonable space left for gear
2. Securely transport with a balanced load and common fastening system
3. Use materials and limited skills/tools mostly on hand
4. Provide easily removable chocks for camping comfort
5. Use a low profile frame that could remain in place during trailer camping
6. Use existing hard points with minimal or no further penetrations through the floor
7. Be modular with the entire system removable and all fitting into the back of a pickup truck
8. Enable use of the frame for other hauling tasks that may not involve motorcycle chocks

So, with tape measure in hand and CAD ready to push some lines around… we pondered.

Capture.jpg

The attachments – create threaded tie-downs to replace the existing D-rings.

DSCN0514.jpg

3/4" G8 fine thread bolts. If that breaks off we have way bigger problems...

DSCN0511.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

The clean canvas

DSCN0515.jpg

Pieces...

DSCN0509.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

DSCN0507.jpg

DSCN0506.jpg

DSCN0505.jpg

DSCN0504.jpg

DSCN0503.jpg

DSCN0502.jpg

DSCN0498.jpg

DSCN0493.jpg

Chocks...

tire.jpg

chock.jpg

DSCN0494.jpg

DSCN0495.jpg

DSCN0501.jpg

DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0499.jpg

DSCN0490.jpg

The KIT...

DSCN0513.jpg

After some paint... Massey Ferguson grey and Ford tractor grey (what I had)

DSCN0517.jpg

DSCN0516.jpg

DSCN0522.jpg

Let's RIDE! :rider::rider::rider:

DSCN0518.jpg

:-P

looks like you have room to take me to Colorado :mrgreen:

What's going on with front tie downs, how far are shocks compressed

What's going on with front tie downs, how far are shocks compressed

Thanks folks. Fclay, that's been a BIG concern to me for some time. Some use a block between the front tire and fender to eliminate excessive fork compression. I've done that for years while others use nothing and crank down on the straps till the floor bows. So far - I've been the only one to replace seals. :shrug: Maybe it's the unskilled abuse once out of the trailer. :doh:

Truth be told, it just doesn't take much force to hold a bike in place. We've hauled to Colorado, Utah...you get the idea - and never had a motorcycle bounce out of place. :pray: I tend to think (now) we maybe over-do it some.

JBay, you KNOW you and Matthew are always welcome to tie on. This year's trip in the planning...

WHAT!? Only five bikes!? Sheesh... :roll:

:nana:

I like it.

I look forward to placeing my bike there soon.
You do great work and seem to enjoy it more than most.

Back