• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TORN series

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
TORN has an event 5/28 up in Whitney that I’m considering going to with my son. Anybody here with experience on that course or with that organization? The lady I spoke with on the phone was quite friendly and helpful.

We did the Whitney event yesterday, and had a great time. It was pretty warm, but a decent breeze, combined with a new shade tent and heat specific gear made it tolerable when it came down to business. I was also prepared with a cooler full of gatorades and ice. Nothing quite like a handful of ice on the back of the neck after a hot ride to help take the edge off.

As far as the course goes, it was mostly hero dirt during practice. The recent rains helped immensely to keep the surfaces rideable. As the day went on, it developed into a 40/40/20 mix of hero dirt, sand, and hard pack. There was also an Mx style section worked into the course with a couple places to get some decent (but not terrifying) air. Aside from the Mx section, it wasn’t a particularly open course, mostly being sandy whoops and elevation changes in the woods, with plenty of ruts once the action started. No time to relax. There were also a couple big climbs and descents that got the better of the kiddo once the exhaustion set in. And it DID set in, as he got it in his head to race with the big bikes on the long course (60 minutes).

I knowingly signed us up to race in Open Intermediate simply because of start time. It was over 2 hours away and I wanted to be home at a decent hour. It was the equivalent of being on the course with A and B TORCS guys and gals, and Superminis. To say we were outclassed is an understatement, but we knew that going in.
We were both fully cashed out at the end, with my boy getting the worst of it, but he did not bail out, even when given the option by the sweep at the end. He committed to finishing, and I’m pleased as punch that he did. I think I got 4 laps in, including a couple stops to help him out of a jam.

All in all a great day, and the enduro community continues to impress; nice people and good fun. If the schedule agrees we’ll do another of these events. Now on to Knesek!
16A521E8-520B-4408-BA71-6417C5F61D14.jpeg

:thumb: :thumb: Great report, glad you had a good time. Tough conditions for sure in this heat. One more H/S essential that will be appreciated --- weedeater!

TORN had another event this weekend that my 11 year old and I participated in near China Spring, up by Waco. With the right planning, any race within 2 hours of Austin is doable for us.
To the best of my understanding, TORN does their series a bit differently than TORCS. There are 3 distinct courses; One for 50cc, one for 65, and one for everyone else. They also have 5 distinct race times (at least on Saturday). 50 first, 65 second, then 3 start times for big bikes. They also utilize shorter courses than TORCS (5ish miles) and 60 minute races for the big bikes to allow more laps and better memorization of the technical bits. I can see the logic, and have fun either way.
China Spring was a new to TORN property and I was told that the course was designed with a mind toward open riding due to the heat. It wasn’t open in the Knesek sense, but there were plenty of spots to get up to speed mixed with tight woods, some sand, muddy creek crossings, and a few technical bits to keep you (me) on your (my) toes.
Long story short, we both had a great day racing in a class that was way above our heads (expert and intermediate). No crashes, no stalls, no big mistakes were made, and we met up at the finish line breathing hard and jabbering about how much fun it was, regardless of the heat. I didn’t get any racing pics, but anyone within driving distance would have a blast in this series.

Y'all have really taken to this sport, great to have new blood especially on a family basis! Spread the word! :thumb::thumb:

Glad yall had fun. The 5 mile deal, doesn't seem TORCS goes any further than that lately. I like them closer to 10 miles but that ain't happening now. Courses hold up better, rare a fast guy from early row catches you, and we get more spread out, bottlenecks are rare. Old Storm would have them once in a while where very few did 2 laps. Lap times right at an hour. Outlaw Trax was one, Hidden Falls once. And Xtreme did Monkeys Revenge near Jasper. Those are fun!

Y'all have really taken to this sport, great to have new blood especially on a family basis! Spread the word! :thumb::thumb:
I believe Adam Riemann said, ‘dirt bikes are more than a hobby. They become your life.’
Truth!

My boy is hooked; I’m still working on my little girl. I’ve twisted the thumbscrews on my (4) dual sport friends, but they seem real eager to slide lazily into middle age. Oh well, I’ll spread the dirt gospel anytime I can, to anyone who’ll listen. For now, I’ll enjoy the crap out of riding in the dirt and making memories!

Is there a max displacement? I read the rules and it just says 250 cc and up for the open class.

Not that I’m aware, but I’ve only done 2 races in this series. I ride a 450, btw.

Not totally sure but I'd say the next 3 are doable. Powell has some stuff that might be a little difficult. But maybe not for you, big bikes racing is a no for me, lol!

Thanks woodsguy. 800 cc if I'm not mistaken. I think I'm going to start entering some races with my bike. I'll just have to find some of the easier races at first.
What’s the bike in question? Inquiring minds want to know…

What’s the bike in question? Inquiring minds want to know…

Woodsguy was correct. I'm going to use my 890 Adv R.

I feel like I've stepped on your excellent thread about you and your son racing. That is not my aim here so I apologize.

I feel like I've stepped on your excellent thread about you and your son racing. That is not my aim here so I apologize.
No worries at all. I only started the thread to get info about the series from the more experienced members and ask questions, same as you. I’m happy to keep it alive with tales of our exploits. Hope nobody minds!

Also, big props to any guy who rides an adv beast on these courses. You must have moon sized stones and madd skillz. I look forward to seeing that monster in action.

Also, big props to any guy who rides an adv beast on these courses. You must have moon sized stones and madd skillz. I look forward to seeing that monster in action.
Agreed, of course some courses would be more accessible. Sticks and Geortz would be a nightmare on big bike to me.

Agreed, of course some courses would be more accessible. Sticks and Geortz would be a nightmare on big bike to me.
Yup.

I saw the Ducati last year at Let’s Ride Ranch. That’s a pretty open course.

Yup.

I saw the Ducati last year at Let’s Ride Ranch. That’s a pretty open course.
The 890 will easily go where the Ducati can go. Of course the Doc had the pro rider on it. And as I remember he broke the bike too, lol.

I am definitely going to have to pick and choose. I don't know how soon I'll be able to do this. Work is picking up. I'm just looking for the fun and challenge. Might have to wait for the temps to drop too.

lol. My wife has a totally different take on this with entirely more colorful word choices that I can't repeat here. And trust me, I'm sure it's more madd stupidity coupled with mediocre skillz. But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Plus I miss racing. Even if I'm last.

Back