• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Torque wrenches

Rick

Reaction score
Has anyone else here doubted the accuracy of their torque wrench? Mine seemed to be very far off. I googled calibrating torque wrenches and found out that it is a very simple task. I never really thought about checking and resetting the wrench. I think the mistake that I had made with mine was leaving it set to a high value and not 'unloading' it. Seems to be much better after calibration. Just thought the subject might interest some of you.

Definitely a good idea to unload it after use. I don’t use mine much but thanks for the reminder.

tested my crappy craftsman vs used snapon. they agree on torque values in the range that matches. craftsman takes a few practice torques to make sure it's not going to snap anything if it decides not to click though :(

I took a Snap on American made and Craftsman in for calibration years ago both were in spec and matched each other . One was a gift that cost $100 the other well was snap on prices . Sold the snap on and kept the Craftsman .
Like mentioned unload it every use to zero or some have the word STOP in the window . Also best to use 3/8" units on 10 lb to 90 anything under 10 lb use a inch pound tq wrench

I’m lucky enough to have a tester at work. We have some flanges that we test torque wrenches before and after we make them up. I’ll take a personal one in from time to time just to see. My personal ones are always in spec. Like others have said I leave them backed off when not in use. Every once in awhile we get one that fails at work, but usually it has been abused in some fashion like being used for a breaker bar, or been riding around in the bed of a truck with no case for weeks.

@Rick No linky? My luck with google search isn't very good...

I have one torque wrench that has been right on the money since I bought it in the late '90s. It's a legit Craftsman. I calibrated it about five years ago and it was spot on. In my experience, the trick is to always unload it after use and don't bang it around carelessly or let it fall from height.

I prefer beam-type torque wrenches. Bodily contortions and inspection mirror are sometimes required to read the dial but the wrench is almost impossible to de-calibrate without a bent bar or pointer-needle being apparent.

I had to whip out the big gun today.
216F24FA-43CF-4931-80DB-093F8946F3FF.jpeg

Hmm 325 FT-LBS…

D8C30CF3-A0BE-4954-B4B1-073F526416C1.jpeg

Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight!

Just FYI the instructions said 325 or 75 + 90 deg. I torqued it to 75 first with a smaller torque wrench them marked the socket for the 90 deg just to see how close that and my torque wrench were. Just as the mark on the socket got to my 90 deg. Mark like magic “click”.

I had to use my big gun on my bike - but not 325 lb-ft worth - that is tractor / ag implement territory

Compensator bolt 140 ft-lb - highest torque ever seen by a Harley crankshaft

1690688627420.png

Rear wheel of my 1290 Super Duke Evo is 185 ft-lbs. The factory likes it at about 290 ft-lbs. LOL. Great post, I see science projects in my future. I have a little digital torque cell, I think I will calibrate it and check my wrenches against it.

Back