• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Which rain suit.

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
I looking for a new rainsuit. I want something sturdy that is easy to put on without removing boots. I was using a Frog Togg, but when I couldn't find the motorcycle specific one, I bought one at Academy. It soaked my jacket sleeves and the bottoms leaked at the crotch. What works for you?

I had the same crotch leak from my last set of frog toggs. I got the Cycle Gear house brand ones as a replacement. Much more heavy duty. Hasn't rained since I bought them...

I’ve had a JoeRocket suit for several years that I have beat up a good bit and is still water tight.

I've switched from a Tourmaster Sentinel dedicated rain outfit to a Klim Gortex set up. The Tourmaster worked very well and I'd be happy to let the practically new, size medium jacket and pants go for a low low price. I'm in Austin for local pickup.

I have one made by Olympia -- its my second one. The first lasted 15 years before I noticed one of the seams was leaking and replaced it.

Been using a Wal-Mart frog toggs jacket as a wind and waterproof liner under my leather jacket for the last few years. It doesn't look heavy duty enough to wear outside. Pants I've been wearing for a couple years are (used to be) "water resistant".

I went through a couple triumph branded rainsuits years ago and thought they were good at the time.

Been thinking of trying this on my riding pants.

How small do these pack?

I've switched from a Tourmaster Sentinel dedicated rain outfit to a Klim Gortex set up. The Tourmaster worked very well and I'd be happy to let the practically new, size medium jacket and pants go for a low low price. I'm in Austin for local pickup.
I measured using the Tourmaster chart and I'm on th border between Lg and XLg. That does look like a nice suit. How easy is it to put on over boots? I don't care that much about ease of taking it off because I can wait until I get to town to take it off.

Been using a Wal-Mart frog toggs jacket as a wind and waterproof liner under my leather jacket for the last few years. It doesn't look heavy duty enough to wear outside. Pants I've been wearing for a couple years are (used to be) "water resistant".

I went through a couple triumph branded rainsuits years ago and thought they were good at the time.

Been thinking of trying this on my riding pants.
My waterproof riding pants are not.

How small do these pack?
That's something else I didn't mention. I use my rainsuit as added insulation against vibration for my laptop and my camera. The Frogg Toggs were light weight and fluffy. Unfortunately, the non motorcycle specific ones leaked at speed.

I have Revit over pants that are far and away the best rain pants I’ve ever owned. Don’t have a good rec for jackets though.

This past Thursday, I rode from Holbrook, Arizona to Lubbock in the rain at speed. My Klim Carlsbad gore tex gear kept me 100% dry. There is a price and weight penalty but they are definitely worth it.

That's something else I didn't mention. I use my rainsuit as added insulation against vibration for my laptop and my camera. The Frogg Toggs were light weight and fluffy. Unfortunately, the non motorcycle specific ones leaked at speed.
If you use your rainsuit as insulation for your laptop, I suspect it won't remain waterproof for long! Get yourself a sleeve for your laptop, wear and tear is the enemy of rain gear!

These are the rain pants I use that are easy to put on and take off but are expensive so most riders are not going to buy them. I will probably go with something else when I replace them due to cost!

I measured using the Tourmaster chart and I'm on th border between Lg and XLg. That does look like a nice suit. How easy is it to put on over boots? I don't care that much about ease of taking it off because I can wait until I get to town to take it off.
Pulling on the pants over boots as I recall wasn't difficult. You're welcome to try before buying for sizing and functionality. As for sizing the suit seemed large for me and worked better using suspenders.

A couple of friends and I were riding the TAT in Arkansas once and the weather was forcast to be real bad the last day. We were just south of Fayetteville in a motel the night beforet and a Walmart was just down the road. I bought a Stearns brand rainsuit in the fishing dept and it turned out to be very excellent. Lasted over ten years before it finally came apart.

If you use your rainsuit as insulation for your laptop, I suspect it won't remain waterproof for long! Get yourself a sleeve for your laptop, wear and tear is the enemy of rain gear!
No, I put a towel cushion under my laptop in my tail bag, put my rain suit on top of it, and my camera sits on top of the rainsuit. I've done this for many years with no problems.

These are the rain pants I use that are easy to put on and take off but are expensive so most riders are not going to buy them. I will probably go with something else when I replace them due to cost!

I could take a week vacation for the cost of a jacket and pants.:-P I'm 74, I only need one for a couple of years.

Not very often I spend good money buying something, then hope it would be a complete waste of money. Motorcycle rain gear is a rare exception.

I've got the cheap Academy Frogg Togg pack (don't even remember if that's the brand) I bought some 8yrs ago. I keep them in my work office, for times when I ride in dry and get caught in a downpour on a cold day on the way home. I've used it exactly once. Leaked, of course, but it kept me mostly dry, so I didn't freeze my balls off. That's good enough for me. If it's a Summer day, I don't even bother with the rain gear. I'd rather get drenched than being steamed cooked alive wrapped in plastic.

For touring, I bought a set of Olympia 2-piece rain suit just before my fly-n-ride back from Colorado. Came in handy as I did get caught in heavy enough rain to warrant putting it on. No leaks. Never had to put it on again, and I sure hope it'll stay that way.

This is one of those rare occasions when I actually spent a few happy bucks on something and have yet to regret it. Good equipment.
20221012_173023.jpg

I looking for a new rainsuit. I want something sturdy that is easy to put on without removing boots. I was using a Frog Togg, but when I couldn't find the motorcycle specific one, I bought one at Academy. It soaked my jacket sleeves and the bottoms leaked at the crotch. What works for you?
I noticed that when I bought a set from Sam's Club years ago. Leaked right off the bat.
As mentioned by others the Cycle Gear set is very durable. In fact mine have lasted over 5 years at this point!
Probably because I bought a spare set that sit there in the closet shelf ;)
I commute to work in my work slacks which don't fend off cold and road crap at all.
I use the pants to protect and also makes a great thermal barrier for those Texas days where it's 55 in the morning and 95 afternoon.
Short version - I highly recommend them and they pack easy.
For normal riding if you suspect there will be rain I got this set off Amazon for a very reasonable price - and they're armored.
Honest to gawd protective gear for well under $100? I'm REALLY pleased with these and I've worn them when temps are in the 80's.

Back