• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WR250R Tool Tube

Monica

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Decided to try out a tool tube. Came after test packing my bike for camping. I normally carry tools in the tailpack. But after stashing tools in the sidebags and losing the tailpack to the sleeping bag, I thought I'd try a different way for the tools.

Space under Happy Trails rack

Mototube (small) and a Dynomax exhaust clamp

Pipe hangers that came w tube

Sorry blurry pic of a Trail Tech bracket I had laying around. I modified it to fit between the exhaust clamp and pipe hangers

Tube fitted up
I did cut off the two mounting tabs

Last edited:
And you don't have to unpack everything to fix a problem, fantastic. blue locktite

And you don't have to unpack everything to fix a problem, fantastic. blue locktite
Exactly, get what I need without unloading everything.
And I totally forgot the Loctite, I'll get that on there.

Great job on that!
I have a tube like that but maybe bigger - it fits a fuel bottle. Have never found a good spot for it on any of my bikes yet!
I have currently temporarily strapped with metal zip ties to the front of the tail rack on the DR-Z.
Not ideal and quite the hack job compared to yours!

Great job on that!
I have a tube like that but maybe bigger - it fits a fuel bottle. Have never found a good spot for it on any of my bikes yet!
I have currently temporarily strapped with metal zip ties to the front of the tail rack on the DR-Z.
Not ideal and quite the hack job compared to yours!
:mrgreen: Thanks
I saw the bigger one can fit the fuel bottle. That's definitely useful. Don't sweat the mounting job, least you have it with you lol

Edit:
I've Loctited the hardware and put the tools inside. I'm curious how long things will hold together, whether it be the pipe hanger loops rotating down or perhaps the aluminum bracket breaking at a tab. Time will tell how many freshly graded roads it can handle. I'm also thinking about securing the lid somehow to the tube so it can't easily be opened by the casual passerby. Right now the hardware I'm thinking of using will be stuff I have stashed from my kayak, to try and maintain water tightness for the contents. I've also got marine GOOP. I'll see what I come up with.

Last edited:
Heavy weight stuff will cause the strain. Obviously that goes against the whole 🏍 principle. You're an excellent engineer when it comes to this stuff.

Exactly, get what I need without unloading everything.
And I totally forgot the Loctite, I'll get that on there.
Nice job. I like nylon insert nuts, where I can use them. Usually have to get stainless at bolt supply.

I finally had a chance to put the tool tube through some paces yesterday. I did the breakfast & ride in Utopia yesterday, it tested my work, but everything held up. The tube bounces a little bit because of the rubber grommets on the bracket. However the tube and tire never touched, least I can't find any rub marks or anything to indicate they did. All in all, nice to have the tools in their own forgettable space rather than in the tail pack. It left more room for the other stuff I forgot to pack:lol2:

Back