• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

XR400 street legal wiring harness build in Austin

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Schaefer
Hi All-

Offering my bike up for a wiring harness build tutorial to make my bike street legal. Here's the story.

I got a '97XR400R with 100 miles on it. I got a lot of help getting it running from the guys on the XR400 thread. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101249

Thrill Billy was cool enough to let me go out to his place and go through the bike with me. After he got his hands on it, it was a 1 kick start bike.

After seeing the wiring harness he built for his bike, I decided to recreate that instead of using the Baja kit. He made a schematic of his set up for me. I'm pretty sure I can do it on my own, but figured we could all learn something about electrical from a ground up wiring harness rebuild on such a simple bike.

I've finally received all the parts. I'd like to start the rebuild sometime after Wednesday, 8/12. The bike will be in my dining room in the comfort of A/C.

Let me know if you're interested. If you have something to show others or something to learn, it's all good. Let's discuss dates.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure I can do this on my own, but like the idea of people having the chance to learn something.

Attachments

• 97 XR400R- 1.JPG
    97 XR400R- 1.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 463
In an effort to get your "street-legal-ness" underway, I would suggest having everything you want powered installed (or at least, very handy, and the correct plug very near to where it will be when complete), and the tank, plastics, etc, removed prior to even starting. Heat shrink on hand, soldering iron and solder/flux, some form of fuse box (or a few in-line fuses should work), and the approx amp draw you'd expect from each circuit drawn up.

Since you already have a diagram via ThrillBilly, make sure it includes everything you need. If not, add in what you will require in the final build. Brake switches, clutch and kickstand if you want to add those in, whatever else you can think of. You may not want everything in the final build, but the closer to 100% you can be at the start, the more successful your build will be. If you need a battery box, get that done and installed prior to anything else.

I've done it before, on a ground-up old Triumph TR-6 build. It was both frustrating, difficult, easy, and fun. When everything fires up properly at the end, you get that true feeling of satisfaction.

I'm right down the road from you, and if I'm home, I'll be happy to sit and watch you work - even help when you need an extra hand - or get other tasks out of the way while everyone else is pondering this or that. Sometimes, I even have good suggestions. :)

Thanks for the input. I've gone through this thread and gotten everything I can think of down to the Japanese style bullet connectors suggested by Philip. I figure I'll go through it a few times on table top and then do the build/install.

I will totally take you up on your offer to help/give input. I learn a lot better by putting my hands on things. I'll start firming up dates when I get through a few more family things after 8/12.

Back