• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Mini Moto/Hacks Camping ADV Ride 4/27-28

Do you plan to attend?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
To confirm we cannot attend. We both sold our small displacement bikes.

Thank you for taking the time to get this ride going.
Maybe there needs to be a concurrent but bike ride that meets up at the campsite in the evening?
Um.. isn't that why you got it? C'mon man!
Did I miss something? Did @danco302 get another bike?

This should be the CB loop plus the north expansion. I've ridden the southern portion as recently as December with @tex68w ,but the northern expansion route I've never been on personally.

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

• CB_Loop.gpx
    273.1 KB · Views: 21
  • CB Loop North Expansion.gpx
    90.2 KB · Views: 17
There's a combined version I made that's in my Dropbox as well. I lost my first Africa Twin on that northern extension. Haven't gotten back out there to finish it yet.

So going over those routes, it looks like almost 200 miles on day one alone. That's a lot for a mini-moto.

So going over those routes, it looks like almost 200 miles on day one alone. That's a lot for a mini-moto.

True, they will be long days, but that's kind of what I expected. That said, should that be more than most want to chew off we could consider sticking to just the standard loop and maybe find a short dirt route from Bedias to Madisonville and then overnight there Saturday? The only issue is that it's only a 85-100 mile day, even if we average a measly 20 mph that's only four to five hours. ****, we do 100+ miles in half a day at Tiddler, semi-annually. I guess if you add in lunch and a fuel stop we could stretch that to seven-ish hour days.

I am open to listening to what the group has to say. If that's too many miles for most I don't want to turn anyone off and I am willing to bend to the shorter route to appease the masses. So chime in and let me know where you stand as we will have to reestablish hotels and dinner arrangements for Madisonville and get that info updated here in the thread so folks can make any necessary changes.

If we skip that detour loop to Shiro, it knocks off about 15 miles, and shortens the first section from Montgomery to Bedias to 76 miles. Bedias to Normangee is 72 miles, then Normangee to Marquez is 30 to finish up. I would think most everyone would have that much gas range. I guess Bedias for gas/quick snack, then Normangee for late lunch would work.

The loop has a nice section on the south end but it's easily skipped if trying to cut mileage. Bedias has a nice, newer-ish gas station right off of 90 so that's an easy gas/snack/bathroom stop. If we are moving at an average of 25-35 mph (I know most are capable of more but I am talking conservative averages here) then that would make for lunch at 2-ish IF everything goes well. Is that asking too much and stretching us too thin?

I'm a route guy, so put these together for a suggestion, and for anyone who might want to use them.
Saturday: First leg is 76 miles to Bedias for quick break/top up. Second and third legs (two parts due to my Zumo XT limit) total 72 miles to Normangee for lunch/top up (anyone tried the Honey Brewed Cafe?). There is no way to accurately calculate travel time for a group, but Bedias would probably be too early for lunch, and Normangee might be a bit late. Not much other choices on the Cheeseburger though. Last leg is 30 miles to Marquez, just perfect to shake that lunch down, LOL.
Sunday: First leg is a short 36 miles for quick stop/top up in North Zulch. Second leg is another short one of 28 miles to Yankee's Tavern in Anderson for lunch. Maps shows there's a station there now, but there wasn't one the many moons ago that I last did this ride (thus the top up in North Zulch). Third leg is a short 20 miles to Anderson for possible quick stop/top up. Last leg is 31 miles back to Montgomery for end of ride.
Having never done this on a small bike, and with having my dirt-novice wife along, I figure shorter stints would be more agreeable as speeds will certainly be less than with the normal adventure bike.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 2024 Mini Moto Ride.gpx
    514.2 KB · Views: 21
Works for me. Many thanks for the leg work with the route. I am swamped at the moment and don't have the time to dedicate to this myself so I appreciate the effort.

No sweat; as I said, just a suggestion. The nice thing about this forum is how supportive everyone is, and team efforts usually gain the best results, eh? Looking forward to this ride, and sure appreciate you setting it up.

Just keep in mind that gravel stability applies to bikes of all sizes. You might end up going faster than you think!

Just keep in mind that gravel stability applies to bikes of all sizes. You might end up going faster than you think!
LOL, true, but we certainly won't be at your speed on a real adventure bike. It will of course depend on who shows up, what they're riding, abilities, etc., but being a "mini" moto ride, speeds will definitely be less. Always the great unknown, and what makes for part of the ADVenture, eh?

Back