• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Mini Moto/Hacks Camping ADV Ride 4/27-28

Do you plan to attend?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Made it back. Wow what an awesome ride, and full off adventure! Adding these pics as a teaser.

IMG_2638.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg

I saw that same tree on some guys big bike ride on FB! Yesterday should have been perfect!

Well it looks like the majority of my photos got deleted so I only have the few taken at the tree clearing in the forest. We had a solid ride, safe and accident free which is the most important thing. The ride ultimately got cut short post Yankees due to a bike failure but we doubled back as a group and got @Rydah loaded up and on his way back to pick up his wife and the bike. The tree blocking the forest road was just added to the adventure and it highlighted my lack of a handsaw in my riding kit and for that I am grateful, a Silky Gomboy is now en route.

WnFTzXZ.jpg

CLJU2ni.jpg

SMWKrn6.jpg

We met Petr, a Czech National at the downed tree as he pitched in with a hand saw of his own and determination to clear a path for his GSA as he was on his way to Yankees along the Cheeseburger Loop as well. Surprisingly he had never heard of TWT and said he didn't have any riding buddies in Houston so a few of us exchanged info and it appears we might have recruited another ride to the fold.

EGV3MBi.jpg

While the group ended up being quite small it couldn't have been a better batch of personalities as we made our way through multiple little snags without incident or drama. Little bikes throwing down 170+ miles on gravel and highway makes for a very long day but we saw it through with good cheer and dispositions. Thanks to all those who made it out, it was a pleasure.

FWFTDjY.jpg

I'll have to say that even with all the drama, the first ever Mini-Moto ride was a resounding success. The great group of folks that attended all met up at the Brookshire Brothers in Mongomery, and after the usual introductions, meeting and prayer, we were ready to set off. Until... my bike would not start! It had been doing just perfect all week, and even started right up after unloading when we first got there, but once we were all set to go, it would not. After much troubleshooting, we did a run start, and that worked. Should have been an omen at that point, but hey, the call to ride was strong! Here's the group:

Our lone female, my better half, Anna (@LowRydah) on her (one of a kind?) street legal CRF125F
PXL_20240427_141706386.jpg

Dan (@danco302) on his sweet (and new to him) XT225
PXL_20240427_141650280.jpg

Danny (@grumpy48) on his awesome DR200S
PXL_20240427_141658892.jpg

Scott on the rare and uber-cool Big Ruckus
PXL_20240427_141655451.jpg

Ride organizer, Jeremy (@tex68w) on his sweet Trail 125
PXL_20240427_141720555.jpg

..and of course, yours truly, on my (not so) trusty DR200 Tiddler, LOL. So six brave souls in all, set off for a true adventure: taming the grueling Cheeseburger Loop!

We couldn't have asked for a better day for riding; cloudy, perfect temps, nice breeze all day. The start went without hitch, and after clearing Montgomery, we screamed along at a blistering 43 mph pace. Of course, being the courteous group we are, we'd occasionally have to pull far right in single file to let the hyper-speed cars go by, but it wasn't too awful often, so we made good time... until...

20240427_105246.jpg

Now, while most mortal would have turned tail and quit (or maybe just rode around it), this hardy group decided to do the right thing and clear a path for any future two-wheeled brethren that might wander this way. Ok, and we had a rather low clearance scooter with us too, LOL. So with our "git 'er done" attitudes, we attacked it with fervor, and cleared a useable (though highly treacherous path) through.

20240427_105526.jpg

20240427_105528.jpg

@danco302, "the fearless" led us through the very dangerous path. Once he quelled our fears, the rest followed without incident, and we all breathed a sigh of relief as we were then able to continue on our quest for cheeseburgers.

Our next stop after "the tree" was for gas and a breather in Shiro. What a fearsome biker group, eh?

PXL_20240427_171124203.MP.jpg

Next was Bedias for another stop/breather/bike check:

PXL_20240427_183007188.jpg

PXL_20240427_183013068.MP.jpg

Finally, we reached Yankee's Tavern at the very late lunchtime of around 1530! The place was pretty crowded, even at that time, but cleared out a bit before we left. I wish I'd have gotten some pics of the food, but it was all good, and the very nice waitress even made a fresh batch of sweet tea for us! After eating dust all day, I'm sure we were all grateful for some refreshing, cold liquids.

PXL_20240427_205704767.MP.jpg

Anyone think we might have stuck out a bit from the regular crowd?
PXL_20240427_205750796.jpg

Unfortunately, this would be the end of the ride for us, as my cantankerous bike decided to be, well.. cantankerous! We had to run start it at the beginning of the ride, but it had cranked up on the three other stopped times between. I think they always prefer to have an audience when they decide to act up though, so what better setting, right? We entertained the crowd by trying two push-start attempts, but nada. Drained fuel, checked spark, blah, blah, blah... you know the routine. This is when I again cursed manufactures for not including kick starters!! Heck, Anna's 2021 125 has one, so what gives? With no luck, the group had already decided this was enough for one day anyway, especially since we were already running so far behind, so Anna decided to hang out at Yankees while I rode her bike back to get the truck. Loading up, handshakes and best wishes later, and I made it back to load up and head home. Thus ended the first Mini-Moto ride. Big thanks to all who showed up, and for @tex68w for organizing it; it was an adventure, we had a blast, and hopefully will have more ahead in the future. :rider:

... We entertained the crowd by trying two push-start attempts, but nada.... This is when I again cursed manufactures for not including kick starters!! Heck, Anna's 2021 125 has one, so what gives?...
We have also, a couple/three times, had to resort to push-starting a mini-moto on our Louisiana rides :rolleyes: both times lamenting the absence of a kick starter. Now if'n a fellow small motorcycle enthusiast is looking for such, take a look here: TW200 with Kick-Start for a Taller Rider

Congrats! Check this out:

Back