• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

15th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

Think this rear tire has enough meat left for a Cloudcroft ride? Or should I go ahead and change it?

IMG_8337.jpeg

It took me a long time to develop that motto. Mostly coming home from wherever with steel braids showing in the middle of my rear tire.

If you gotta ask, change it.
🤣 True, I’m mostly being lazy I guess.

But I do wonder if I should let the rocks in Cloudcroft tear up this old tire and save the new tire for mud and sand and stuff here in Texas. But I’ve never even ridden in Cloudcroft so don’t know what I’m talking about…

(This bike eats rear tires like crazy)

uh, the rainy season in CC is about to kick off, you dont want to be on some of those trails with 1/4 tread when that black dirt gets wet.

uh, the rainy season in CC is about to kick off, you dont want to be on some of those trails with 1/4 tread when that black dirt gets wet.
Ok, that’s the info I needed to get me off my ****. Thanks.

Reactions: JT
ALAMOGORDO – The Lincoln National Forest has lifted Stage 1 Restrictions effective July 12, 2023, for all three districts in the Forest.

Ok, that’s

059E0BE8-31FC-49FB-871B-357C313BCBD3.jpegthe info I needed to get me off my ****. Thanks.Ok, that’s the info I needed to get me off my ****. Thanks.
Well my tire didn’t look any better than yours, So I too had to get off my #$#.
I do Appreciate the motivation👍👍

Haha. Nice.

Man, I really struggled with this tire. The sidewall seemed super thick and it was a ***** to get on. Normally my Baja No Pinch tool makes it super easy, but not this time for some reason.

Attachments

• 71097715766__D769A26E-F943-4F31-AABB-BB69DCD5D82D.jpeg
    71097715766__D769A26E-F943-4F31-AABB-BB69DCD5D82D.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 55
FYI: you may find this is a handy online trail mapping tool (if not used before).

Last edited:
GPS tracks I came across and loaded for the ride.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• CLOUDCROFT ROADS.gpx
    8.4 MB · Views: 62
As I'm loading my back pack I thought I'd share some thoughts on 14 previous years of experience. In addition to post #1.
  1. Get a paper map, GPS is helpful however "The Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM's) are your legal documents for where you can and cannot take a motorized vehicle. They show where you can legally drive, take your motorcycles, ATVs or UTVs and where you can disperse camp (aka road-side camp)." the https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413949.pdf The MVUM map is free at the forest service, if closed they may be available in the kiosks out front. 4 Lost Lodge Rd. Cloudcroft, NM 88317
  2. It will rain, I carry a rain jacket and trash bags in my backpack. Normally humidity is low but when trying to dry wet gear overnight it takes longer than you would think.
  3. Bring a light jacket for the evenings, although is has been warmer than normal, trending downward though, you may need one in the evenings - https://www.cloudcroftwebcam.com/cloudcroft-weather-forecast/ I have been miserably cold at dinners outside because I didn't take a jacket since it was nice when walking to the restaurant.
  4. If you think you may need it, bring it with you, Alamogordo, sixteen miles downhill, has big box stores, Walmart and 2 bike shops but when I needed a 21 knobby one year selection was very limited. This is a Family Dollar in town. When driving out if you drive through Artesia you'll pass a locally owned, family, grocery store - Fenn's Country Market. Interesting site in Artesia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abo_Elementary_School
  5. It will rain .2, many times it can be avoided if flexible on your route for the day. I normally plan one trail to the next, based on how the sky looks. "Dark that way, lets go this way"...
  6. Lunch, I stop for a trail-side lunch that I carry with me, around 1p each day.
  7. Fuel is available in Cloudcroft, Weed, Mayhill & of course Alamogordo. Also Tularosa, if your trying to avoid the rain...
  8. Riding on the street with a non-plated bike. It seems the increase in OHV use has increased the enforcement for all. There are many trailheads with parking, outside of town, that you can ride to and from on trails or forest service roads all day long with creativity.
  9. In your backpack, saddle bags etc. Normal spares, tubes, plugs, tools, water, snacks...
  10. Have fun! Explore! Be safe!

Last edited:
The first time I rode a dirt bike on national forest land I kept having the feeling I was getting away with something. Why is it legal to ride in such great places?

So I felt like it was my responsibility to be, or try to be, a good representative of a motorized user. I didn't and don't want to do anything to jeopardize access.

What is the "Motorcycle Dirt Bike Trail Etiquette in the National Forest"?

15th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride
Monday, July 24th thru Friday, July 28th, 2023
Cloudcroft, New Mexico
Lincoln National Forest

View attachment 340540

This is an unofficial, no routes, no cost to participate ride; ride when, how, with whom and where you want.

"Its like Summer Camp for Dual Sports"

"Share the Joy of Motorcycling"

This is a mountain dual sport ride, most ride on plated (meaning street legal) dirt bikes or the most dirt oriented dual sport bikes. This is called a Dual Sport ride in that its the most convenient to ride to and from town to the trails, and to connect trails. ***NOTE - The trails can be very challenging.

At your own risk if your bike isn't plated and you ride on the street... its more beneficial to our cause to donate to the fire department rather than to pay a fine to the police department.
View attachment 353388
There are parking areas at most motorized trailheads.​

There are adventure opportunities as well, usually an adventure group forms up. The New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route goes through the area.

Bring your non-riding husband / wife / partner / kids / siblings also, make it a family vacation.

Ride Goals
The Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride is about giving back, camaraderie, exploration, growth, and being safe; in addition to developing and renewing friendships so no one rides alone.

*Plus, escape the summer heat, ride in the cool mountain air in an alpine environment. And maybe the desert depending on the conditions or time of day.

1. The trails need more riding in, responsibly. If we don't use the trails we risk losing access.
2. More riders over a short period of time will demonstrate the positive economic impact of motorcyclists responsibly using National Forest land.
3. Although there is no cost to participate in the ride the riders make a donation to the Cloudcroft Fire / EMS on Friday morning at the pre-ride gathering to give back and further off-road motorcyclists cause as a responsible user group.

View attachment 338273
The dollar amount is whatever each rider feels is appropriate, and is made directly by the rider to the Fire Chief. Write a check and get the tax deduction.

Unofficial 2023 Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride calendar:

Sunday, July 23
- Prep Day
Pre-ride dinner @ 630p Cloudcroft Brewing Company - Good time to meet & get to know each other, and plan for the week; rides, dinners / cook outs, designate group leaders, etc.
And pickup your 2023 ride sticker.

Monday, July 24 - Ride Day
Acclamation Day

Tuesday, July 25 - Ride Day
Exploration Day
Dinner - Taco Tuesday @ 630p - Western Bar and Cafe $1.50 Tacos & $6.00 Margaritas
Wednesday, July 26 - Ride Day
Hero Day IE The Hard day

Thursday, July 27 - Ride Day
Rediscover Day

Friday, July 28 - Ride Day
Safety Day & Cloudcroft Fire / EMS donation @ the pre-ride gathering
Dinner - Post-ride banquet @ 630p - Ski Cloudcroft *BYOB
Random giveaway for a ride mug and banner.

Daily pre-ride gathering
Ride grouping up takes place each morning starting about 845a @ the: Cloudcroft Pavilion, not the Cloudcroft Farmers Market building.
View attachment 338272

Groups take off about 9a, on truly street legal dual sport motorcycles, with a day's worth of fuel or a full charge, ready to ride just after filming the daily video.

Willing group leaders are encouraged and appreciated. The more group leaders there are, the smaller the groups will be which offers a better chance for similarity of bike size, ride goals, etc. You don't have to be any expert on the area to lead a group, just have an adventurous spirit and know how to read the map.

As the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one; it is beneficial if possible to group up by:
  • Technical desire
  • Expected pace
  • Hours to ride
  • Bike size
  • Range
  • Etc.
Group sizes of 6 to 8 riders, or less seem to flow the best.
Similarity of daily ride goals equals more enjoyment and comfort for each rider.
If the group groove isn't what you expected, be prepare to split the group up further to increase enjoyment.
Be prepared for 80 miles or so between fuel stops.

The group I lead will take a lunch break in the woods about 1p each ride day, I usually bring a sandwich and a snack.

Group etiquette:
***To keep the group moving, avoid the dust and so no one gets separated, the daisy chain method works great if everyone simply makes sure the rider directly behind them, and so on, makes the corner, etc when the direction to continue isn't 100% obvious. Just because you see the rider behind you it doesn't mean they see you, and the proper direction to continue.

To work though, each rider (except the sweep rider) must take responsibility for the rider directly behind them. If not its a total failure.

If you do get separated, stop at the last known spot the group has ridden, the group with backtrack to you.

If you decide to break off from the group, tell the group leader before you do.

Bike prep:
Prepare your bike properly in advance, and be self prepared during the ride, you'll be in the mountains or maybe the high desert, have:
  • Plenty of fuel
  • Food for lunch and a snack later
  • More water than you think you'll need
  • Know how to fix a flat, etc. and have the tools and spares to do so
  • Tow strap
  • Extra plugs, levers, etc.
  • Be self sufficient
Map
Click the image or link below to view the map, hard copies can be obtained for free at the forest service office.
4 Lost Lodge Rd. Cloudcroft, NM 88317
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm
Phone: 575-682-2551
View attachment 338271
Sacramento Ranger District (Cloudcroft area)

The Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM's) are your legal documents for where you can and cannot take a motorized vehicle. They show where you can legally drive, take your motorcycles, ATVs or UTVs and where you can disperse camp (aka road-side camp).

Lincoln National Forest
OHV Trail Riding
Will be there, rented a house in town. Looking forward to some cooler weather for sure.

Back