• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2

Yes - my KLR 650 next-bike is the KTM 500

Richard tried to get me to buy his Italian Supermodel but I didn't take the :lol2:bait

Sam (everybody knows Sam on twtex.com) helped my trick the 500 out

Why did I get this bike?

At a gas station on the way to last year's version of the ride we're talking about, a guy had a KTM 500 in the back of his truck - I asked him about it - he told me what he did with it in BBRSP and in the Park, and I was alerted to the KTM.

Then Scott let me ride his KTM at the gas station in Study Butte - and that was all it took - I returned home and drove up to Austin to TJ's and drove through the front door.

Sam (GE&H) farkled out the bike with me in his driveway, and I took it on Rich's Hill Country 500 this year.

A plastic surgeon has been trying ever since to peel the smile off my face.

A KTM, a KLR, a WR250 - it doesn't matter to me.

And I really don't care about t shirts or posters

When we're on our death beds we won't slog about anything as much as we will about wishing we were getting out there with our buds and riding those desert vistas, helping each other out, and drawing back a hoppy beer on the porch or La Kiva.

Re: 2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2

And talking about La Kiva, can someone find out if a bachelorette party coincides with the trip? :duck:

It's high time we get back to going downrange to Galeana and running the Sierra near Linares.

I agree completely. Definitely an item to be discussed over a beer in Terlingua.

Hey Trice, you on a diet or something? :lol2:

Hey Trice, you on a diet or something? :lol2:

He's going to get 3 or 4 "hoppy" beers in him this afternoon, log on, and go to running his mouth again. Maybe he'll injure his typing finger while trying to run the baja.

If you've ever gotten in behind him on the trail, you can hear him yelling "Go around, go around!!!" pfft.:clap::lol2:

Fellas,

That's enough of that - no more insults, friendly or otherwise.

For the adventurous: If you're coming early to BB early, let me know if you want to press past Peguis and make a run to Chihuahua City. That town has an outstanding downtown and some fabulous restuarants. It'll be an easy run from Presidio/Terlingua and a great intro to going "into Mexico".

Is this an invite or a tease? I'm in either way...

First, lets be sure there's no dirt involved. Second I'll join you too. I'm guessing I should bring my passport! :rider:
Can I go?:confused:

Just realized, I'll be in the Ural! The dirtier the dirt the better.
First, lets be sure there's no dirt involved. Second I'll join you too. I'm guessing I should bring my passport! :rider:

Sent from my handheld, excuse the typos!

Just realized, I'll be in the Ural! The dirtier the dirt the better.

I imagined that and also 'imagined' following you at 35 mph on those roads! :eek2:

Now, I'll have you know I've clocked the Ural at 75mph by GPS!

Ok it was downhill, alright so there was a tail wind, but still...

I imagined that and also 'imagined' following you at 35 mph on those roads! :eek2:

Now, I'll have you know I've clocked the Ural at 75mph by GPS!
Ok it was downhill, alright so there was a tail wind, but still...

yea i clocked mine @ 75 on thursday

she was on the trailer & the clock was on the dash of the jeep towing her...

This all sounds very fascinating - I will be in attendance once again.

Can count me in!

I've already made plans to go up there on the klr in February. I guess I'll just have to make another trip in March.

Count me in too Richard. Ive always wanted to ride the Big Bend area. Sounds like an awesome ride....

Here's a little teaser video from my last trip to Big Bend earlier this year. Fast forward to 5:20 for the best riding of the trip. This was my first attempt at an edited video so it's a little rough around the edges...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJWsJWtn11E"]Big Bend 2013 Remix on CRF150Fs - YouTube[/ame]

FYI as of the summer of 2009, as part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Intiative, technically all U.S. citizens are supposed to have a valid passport or passport card for reentry into the U.S.

However, this for practical purposes has been not implemented.

Just. Go.

Bob is right. However, if you are on the east side of the national park, Rio Grande Village, you "HAVE TO" have a passport to take the ferry over to Mexico and reenter the US there. This option just opened up this year, and it's just a little bitty taste of adventure, but if you have to say you've been to Mexico, it's the easiest to stomach. This is the farthest thing from "doing Mexico" but if you've never been, it's the least intimidating, and you leave your bike on the US side.

Here's a link to crossing at Boquillas....

http://discoverboquillas.wordpress.com/boquillas-border-crossing-faqs/

But for anyone with some real adventure spirit in them...take Trice up on his offer to show you OJ and Pequis and beyond in Mexico. We did a couple of years ago and had a great time at an awesome restaurant in OJ and riding up and down Pequis on our street bikes. No speed limits enforced...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS1KWVH2irg"]Down Peguis Canyon, Mexico near Big Bend - YouTube[/ame]

Re: 2014 Uncle's Around the Bend Trivia Question

The first...who can tell me the distance, plus or minus 1/2 mile, between the front porch at the Starlight Theatoer and the canyon entrance at Santa Elena....

47.4 on concrete, google maps won't let me map it on the dirt, but it is considerably shorter, may 22 - 24 miles.

As far as the bar tab, it's 50 / 50 me and you Bob. We work better together drunk and stumbling.

But, sadly, I don't qualify for the challenge cause I didn't go to RPI and I'm not Mensa.

But I don't have to be a genius to know everyone who opts out of this trip is seriously missing out. You can go on ANY bike. I've ridden a CBR1000RR and a DRZ Supermoto with Richard on Uncle's rides, I've ridden my CRF150F and WR250X Supermoto in BBSP and BBNP. Anything with two wheels and a motor is fun in this amazingly different and enchanting setting...street / dirt / moped...doesn't matter one bit.

Peter

Is this an invite or a tease? I'm in either way...

Bob I would be in also. Just saying.......

ATGATT.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This

1376620_215756355269465_178771429_n.jpg

Plus This

1383574_215756608602773_168859053_n.jpg

Equals This:

1395363_215756271936140_1297873764_n.jpg

Then This @ the Front Porch

1382381_215756411936126_1992559898_n.jpg

= Big Bend Heaven!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back