• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert, ADV, and Dos y Dos Challenges Mar 19 - 22 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any updates on camping/motel/hotel/etc.

I plan on getting there on Thur and changing rear tire, wondering about a place to store gear during the Desert Challenge.

Will be staying till Sunday.

I am warming up to the DOS Y DOS on a CT90 but I worry about how technical and the distance. Are there others wanting to do this on similar bikes like the CT70 mentioned?

Just a guy here that likes to piddle along up and down at slow speeds for 6 or 8 hours max a day.

I'm about to have a few minor announcements on plans, hotels, challenges, etc... Lots of things pending. I picked up a bad bug in El Salvador and have been, basically, in half in and out of bed for 3 weeks.

I'm about to have a few minor announcements on plans, hotels, challenges, etc... Lots of things pending. I picked up a bad bug in El Salvador and have been, basically, in half in and out of bed for 3 weeks.

I wish you the best on getting well.
Just caught a bug yesterday, freaking miserable.

Get well dude - probably a good thing you did not head out to Big Bend after X-mas. Dawn and I went camping/hiking out there and the park got hit with a nasty ice storm. We tried to high tail it out of there and got stuck in Ft. Stockton for a couple of days as folk tested rubber vs. ice physics with disastrous results on I-10. Park just got gasoline back on line yesterday. Despite all that we had a great time!

I want in but called for hotels and can't find any. Will camp - what is available? Are there any rooms left - very worried and Trice was right in his October post - get it back then.

Will attempt the Dos Y Dos with the CT90. Hope others bring small cc bikes too.

Need room or campsite for two (another TWTer Rick).

I'm coming with SL350. We are going to ride Dumb and Dumber style on one CT90!

I'm finalizing our host hotel plans tomorrow morning. As it is spring break we are all encouraged to make plans as soon as possible. Deposit is for one night and is refundable so if you are on the fence, please go ahead, call, and book a room. As of 6:30 PM today they have the following rooms at the following rates (due to spring break, no specials have been offered....yet):

Name: Bed Type: Availability: Sleeps: Amenities: Price

Single: 1 queen: 5 on the 19th, 7 on the 20th and 21st: 2 people: $79

Double: 2 full beds: 2 on the 19th 3 on the 20th 4 on 21st: 4 people: $99

King Suite: 1 king, 1 fold out sofa: 3 all days: 4 people: Jacuzzi tub, microwave, shower, chocolate kisses haha: $109

Bar Room: 2 full: 1 all nights: on top of bar...last resort...loud and noisy: $TBD

Contact Deana or Judy at the El Dorado 1-800-371-3588

Last edited:
Were in [emoji1][emoji2][emoji3]

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]. Were going to party like its 1999 [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Me and my brother are in. Just locked in reservations for a King Suite at the El Dorado. We will get registered soon. Looking forward to the ride and fun!

FYI it is spring break weekend this year and the El Dorado only has 6 single rooms and 1 King suite room available as of 1/9/15. Norbert and I are booked!!

Hotel Update: Host Hotel El Dorado has only singles left, and the double above the bar. Judy, as our gracious host hotel host, has made calls to local hotels on our behalf. If you call and ask for Judy or Deana, they will be able to point you to a hotel with ocupancy, but they will not last long. The most convenient, well priced, and motorcycle friendly that I've stayed at is the Chisos Mining Company (432-371-2254) also known as the Easter Egg. Their booking manager is in daily contact with Judy. Chisos also has cabins that will sleep 4 to 6. I did this route a few years ago with Tricepilot and it was fun. Really fun come to think about it.

Last edited:
In other news, one of the 10 coolest bars in the world, La Kiva, is striving to reopen for spring break. A Canadian couple, who has been coming to Big Bend for years, bought the bar and are in the process of remodeling.

1680x1680.jpg

If you missed the news, it was not the kind you like to read about in a favorite vacation destination.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...ng-shakes-up-now-gentle-Terlingua-5379675.php

And for those who haven't been to La Kiva, you are definitely missing out on the funkiest places you'll ever have a beer or twelve.

587_LaKiva1.jpg

Any updates on camping/motel/hotel/etc.

I plan on getting there on Thur and changing rear tire, wondering about a place to store gear during the Desert Challenge.

Will be staying till Sunday.

I hope you are able to make it, not sure what your PM means. I will happily refund your registration.

Regardless, I will have secure storage available in my bus during the entire event. By secure, I mean out of the elements and out of site, but not necessarily behind lock and key. If someone knows how to operate the pneumatic doors on a 1990 TMC city bus, they can get whatever they want. But, Big Bend is one of the last places I would ever worry about my belongings being taken.

I hope you are able to make it, not sure what your PM means. I will happily refund your registration.

Regardless, I will have secure storage available in my bus during the entire event. By secure, I mean out of the elements and out of site, but not necessarily behind lock and key. If someone knows how to operate the pneumatic doors on a 1990 TMC city bus, they can get whatever they want. But, Big Bend is one of the last places I would ever worry about my belongings being taken.

So true. When I drove my pickup back the the city last year the power locks would not operate. They had been unlocked for over a year of driving our dusty roads and were jammed in the unlocked position.

To say La Kiva is being remodeled is quite the understatement. The old building had so many issues from bad roofs on top (three stacked one upon the other) to foundations the consistency of a sack of flour on the bottom that a near total rebuild is underway. Only the stonework really remains of the old place. The good news is that Maestro is on site making the new stonework match the original. He did the work there in the 80s too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back