• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 9th Annual Uncle's Around the Bend, Feb 25th - 28th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
For informational purposed...
As of last night, there were only two rooms left at the Eldorado Hotel for the planned weekend. (according to the woman working there)
Carry on.

I booked one and she still had a selection. Nwver know about these places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Figures, roll the bones was on my weekend to work and the uncles ride is too. Have fun guys and gals.

Heated jacket liner works every time

Naaaaaa. Thats overdoing it. What about the adventure spitit?

Man I want to go but almost 1000 miles one way makes it nearly impossible.

Man I want to go but almost 1000 miles one way makes it nearly impossible.

Yes, but It is still the closest desert riding you will find, from where you are. If you haven't ridden out west yet, it could be your time... :rider:

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum but very interested in going to Big Bend. Is a G650GS too big for this trip?

You should be alright if you put on some knobby tread, AND aren't brand new to riding in deep sand, or over rocky terrain. There is nothing super hairy that totally requires a plated dirt bike. But it is still mostly off pavement, and you are riding through the desert. I took my 650 Terra last time... and loved it!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum but very interested in going to Big Bend. Is a G650GS too big for this trip?

Souvrain, welcome!

You better post up an intro pronto. With pix of your ride or everyone will be hassling ya! ;-)

Is a G650GS too big for this trip?

+1 to the advice posted above me

This is less about that 650GS and more about you - we see that this is your first post on twtex.com [WELCOME! :welcome:], so if you're up to it, post up your experience on off pavement terrain and how long you've owned/where you've taken that bike.

In other words, there are riders out there who can't ride a 650GS to Starbucks and others who can ride one up the face of Half Dome in Yosemite.

Also note that you should plan to come to the event. No matter what, you'll meet a ton of great people and have a blast in the best part of Texas. There will be routes you can ride, almost for sure. You might not wheelie up the gap on Black Gap or surf the sand silt on Old Marathon, or then again, you might be the instructor hiding behind first post modesty.

Come to the party and let's find out :sun:

I didn't expect to get so many replies so quickly! I bought my bike back in July and I've been practicing on dirt, gravel, and highway roads since then.

My non-paved road experience extends to whatever gravel or dirt roads I've found traveling on county roads in the hill country. I rode through a few sandy creek crossings on CR 315 a couple of times, but that has been the most challenging terrain I've come across.

Any advice where I can start practicing riding on sand and rocks near Austin?

I've attached a few pictures for ya'll.

Attachments

• ADVR.jpg
    ADVR.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 221
  • TWT 2.jpg
    TWT 2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 215
  • TWT 3.jpg
    TWT 3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 210
Not sure of any sand areas in Austin, but if you want rocks, go to Hidden Falls! No shortage there! Cool pics!

Not sure of any sand areas in Austin, but if you want rocks, go to Hidden Falls! No shortage there! Cool pics!
Looks like I have a day trip sometime then!

Sweet ride!
Thanks! I like it a lot myself.

As for tires, I was looking to pick up a TKC 80 on the front and K60 on the rear for the trip.

Not sure I want to ride all the way down to Big Bend though. I think I'll load her into the back of my truck.

Attachments

• TWT 4.jpg
    TWT 4.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 184
Nice ride!

Load it in the back of your truck and make sure you are there! Great bunch of folks and a great place to ride! For weather, you should expect warm, dry, cold, and wet (sometimes in the same day). I missed this years Uncle's, but made it to last years and had a blast.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

If you are going to "practice" riding in different terrains, you might as well make it legit with another 15-20 lbs of gear on your bike when you do it. Big Bend requires a little more "survival gear" to safely do than typical "day-tripping". Expect to have plenty of water, fuel, oil, spare parts specific to your bike, and a minimal first aid kit. You might not have a NEED any of your extras, but if you do and don't have it, you may not need anything else...ever. lol

In addition to anything like the above, tire tools etc. etc., for 7 ounces you must consider one of these:

i-JFPkDdV-L.jpg

I've had every SPOT model and the inReach blows them out of the water

2 - way messaging in addition to SOS when you're on your back with busted ribs on Black Gap :trust:

Don't guess that help is coming - with the inReach you will know it because you'll be texting back and forth with your rescue angels :sun:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back