• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 MexTrek Galeana #5, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I miss the link for downloading the tracks somewhere?

Thanks. I'm ashamed to say I recognized the download page as soon as I opened it. I had downloaded those a while back, but didn't import them into Basecamp or my unit and I forgot I had them. It has been properly accomplished now.

For any that might be interested in the E32 map, It's pretty expensive at $105 bucks from the US sites, but I was looking on the Mexican websites and it might be considerably cheaper with the current exchange rates. I might wait till I go down south to purchase it and see if one of the Spanish speakers might help me make sure I'm ordering the right stuff. Frankly it looks pretty straight forward, but I don't see any reason to hurry.

Well after looking into the E32 thing a little closer, the only distributor I found that has a shopping cart looks to be selling the SD card version. That kinda shoots that idea in the foot.

IFR is always a good option and is much cheaper (for me) since he's already bought the map!

Well after looking into the E32 thing a little closer, the only distributor I found that has a shopping cart looks to be selling the SD card version. That kinda shoots that idea in the foot.

I GOT THE E32 MAP BEFORE THE JALPAN TRIP AND IT LOOKS TO BE AN EXCELLENT MAP. I RECIEVED IT BY DOWNLOAD.
LATER TATERS

I think this is what you're looking for: http://www.texasadventure.net/mextrekgpsroutes/

But as a newb to Galeana, I don't know anything about each of those routes, like highlights and how technically challenging each one is.

Randy,

Richard confirmed he will sending out the guidebooks this week. They will add vocabulary to each ride in the gps tracks. Sorry for the delay! I have 10 copies with me that will be in Houston October 13th for anyone in the area who didn't get one mailed but still wants one.

Peter

Last edited:
Another note, the host Hotel called me back and confirmed my reservation for 8 double bed rooms. I had 10 participants who asked me to book rooms. There are always extras so if anyone want a single room it should not be a problem. Or to share costs there are 2 or 3 rooms that sleep 3.

Peter

I've been posting to the Is Mexico Safe thread and looking through borderland beat and as best I can tell there is no new criminal activity in the area we are riding in. I'll keep pressing this as we get closer to the departure date.

I had one participant back out due to security concerns. A facebook post asking about the safety of the trip resulted in Mexico based friends and relatives asking the rider not to take the trip. But no specific information about violence in the state of Nuevo Leon was presented.

If anyone on the trip finds relevant information to our safety, please post it on this thread.

Thanks,

Peter

LOL Bob. Pure wackjobs over there.

I wanted to give everyone on the ride a little more information on the optional extra day staying over Sunday night. A smaller group is staying another day after departing Galeana. Why? I've heard about, read about, and yearned to experience Potrero Chico, AKA Hidalgo, just northwest of Monterrey for years. So why not. Here is a quick breakdown of the extra day itinerary:

Sunday morning in Galeana: Roll over. Pack up. Breakfast by 9:00 AM. Check out. Full tank at the Pemex. North towards Laguna de Sanchez thru Rayones, alongside a beautiful river, over amazing soft dirt switchbacks, and into a 1000 foot tall granite canyons.

Lunch: Side of the road in canyons near Cola de Caballo (Waterfalls)

Afternoon: Concrete to San José de las Boquillas, gravel to El Tunal, concrete to Arteaga, Garcia, and finally Hidalgo. About 200 miles of riding in total.

Evening: Best to let some other guys talk about what they experienced: http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...global-on-a-650gs.973984/page-7#post-26596634

Monday morning: breakfast and hiking / climbing.

Noon: Fabulous lunch at TBD in Monterrey central business district, antigua area.

2:00 - 4:00PM: Ride MX40 toll to Anzualdas. 5:00PM return to Host Hotel in Mission.

But here are a few pics from Potrero Chico: http://www.elpotrerochico.mx/

Swimming-Pool.jpg

Masage.jpg

temazcal_espanol163.jpg

Camping-20141.jpg

What the NY times had to say:

ROCK CLIMBING: EL POTRERO CHICO
About an hour northwest of Monterrey, a craggy limestone outcrop named El Potrero Chico has been quietly attracting rock climbers from around the world. What makes the area unusual is the sheer variety of the 600-plus bolted routes — in which permanent artificial anchors are embedded in the rock — all within easy access of a campground and lodge at the base of the rock.

The icing on the cake? You won’t have to share. The crowd typically tops out at 50 or 60 people, mostly a mix of Americans and Canadians and some Europeans; on many days, you’ll probably encounter just a handful of other climbers.

Since the climbing scene in Mexico has yet to take off, most of the climbs have been developed by Americans in the last decade, and routes are usually christened with quirky Spanish or English names (Estrellita, Treasure of Sierra Madre, Yankee Clipper). The bolting of routes directly into the rock makes the rugged terrain more accessible to a wider spectrum of climbers; an average Joe can easily try a beginner climb next to an awesome Jane working on a longer, more complicated route. Limestone uplift makes for a combination of crags, spires and ridges. The terrain and loose rock conditions are the kind of thing you’d find in the backcountry (think the Wind River range in Wyoming), but here, it’s all fixed-bolt sport climbing instead of traditional climbing, in which climbers place their own gear to protect against falls.

Long, moderate sport routes make El Potrero Chico a friendly place for climbers to work on their skills. Posada El Potrero Chico is a family-run campsite and lodge owned by a local resident named Luís Lozano. It serves the sporting crowd with Wi-Fi, new casitas and a small gear shop.

El Potrero Chico is just west of the small town of Hidalgo, where the living is simple, with street markets and hearty food typical of northern Mexico — nopalitos, carne asada, gorditas. To encourage climbing and environmental efforts in the community, the climbing school runs cleanup days in which local children help with the maintenance of routes by collecting trash.

“It’s a quiet and safe town with all of the services,” said Mr. Lozano, who grew up in Hidalgo. “People return year after year, and some of the climbers have already moved here.”

Posada El Potrero Chico, (52-1) 81-8362-6672; www.elpotrerochico.com.mx; weeklong guided climbing trips from $1,511 a person, including guide, equipment, airport shuttle and lodging in a casita with private bath; November through March.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this! 8 years since my last Mextrek and 3 years since my last visit to Galeana. Myself, Aarrff, AsheWill, and Bugsmak will be leaving NC on Monday, 10/17 and arriving in Mission midday Wed, 10/19. Paperwork and maybe a ride on the Los Ebanos ferry are the plan for the afternoon.

Our "plan" :-) at the moment is to stay in Mexico for 4 additional nights after Mextrek ends with possibly a couple of nights in Real de Catorce and returning to US on Thursday, 10/27.

See you there!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to this! 8 years since my last Mextrek and 3 years since my last visit to Galeana. Myself, Aarrff, AsheWill, and Bugsmak will be leaving NC on Monday, 10/17 and arriving in Mission midday Wed, 10/19. Paperwork and maybe a ride on the Los Ebanos ferry are the plan for the afternoon.

Our "plan" :-) at the moment is to stay in Mexico for 4 additional nights after Mextrek ends with possibly a couple of nights in Real de Catorce and returning to US on Thursday, 10/27.

See you there!

Sounds like a great plan and a fun trip!!!

last time (about 10yrs) and every time(4) I've been to mx, its to monterrey. I'm definitely doing the extra day, one of the reasons I'm just gonna ride all the way.

I'm super stoked to revisit monterrey and see it from a different point of view...from a motorcycle

I've been posting to the Is Mexico Safe thread and looking through borderland beat and as best I can tell there is no new criminal activity in the area we are riding in. I'll keep pressing this as we get closer to the departure date.

I had one participant back out due to security concerns. A facebook post asking about the safety of the trip resulted in Mexico based friends and relatives asking the rider not to take the trip. But no specific information about violence in the state of Nuevo Leon was presented.

If anyone on the trip finds relevant information to our safety, please post it on this thread.

Thanks,

Peter

Some specific information would have been nice! I'll do my research and post if anything comes up as well.

last time (about 10yrs) and every time(4) I've been to mx, its to monterrey. I'm definitely doing the extra day, one of the reasons I'm just gonna ride all the way.

I'm super stoked to revisit monterrey and see it from a different point of view...from a motorcycle

Loco is the word, haha. Mexicans drive with purpose on the one hand, and a firm grasp on a catholic cross or gearshift in the other.

We'll figure out a cool little ride in the area. My Monterrey friends says the ride to the top of the nearby Saddle Mountain is niceand a great motorcycle road. And there is a restaurant up there you can ride to or take the cable car. Maybe lunch up there?

Peter

Either i'm going senial, or someone stole my email. Peter, this is Mark. I don't remember ever registering here, but my email was already in use, and this was the screen name registered under. Whatever. Anyway, i'm here.

Either i'm going senial, or someone stole my email. Peter, this is Mark. I don't remember ever registering here, but my email was already in use, and this was the screen name registered under. Whatever. Anyway, i'm here.

Awesome Mark. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, Mark is a top notch roadracer, pikes peak historic class winner, CB160 fanboy (He and Ken Fontenot are neighbors), and all around motorcycle nut. And a particularly nice guy. I am super excited he is joining us in Galeana. Mark is new to dirt, but has aspirations to race Paris Dakar. And unlike the rest of us, I am certain he will, as he generally finishes what he sets out to do.

Last edited:
742d7fe6a3e633d179b163fe7008ce8b.jpg

Confused ?.. You get to provide a massage to a beautiful woman as part of the auxiliary trip?!?

Confused ?.. You get to provide a massage to a beautiful woman as part of the auxiliary trip?!?

One thing we never talk about on this forum is beautiful Mexican women. Mainly cause there are none where we ride. Ever. Period. End. And don't ever let me hear otherwise from anyone. But seriously, we are out in the sticks on this ride. There are a few indigenous beauties here and there.

One thing we never talk about on this forum is beautiful Mexican women. Mainly cause there are none where we ride. Ever. Period. End. And don't ever let me hear otherwise from anyone. But seriously, we are out in the sticks on this ride. There are a few indigenous beauties here and there.

I'm glad to hear that. No distractions from the riding. [emoji102]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back