• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 MexTrek Galeana #5, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, first post. I will definitely plan on making this trip. I'll be taking my 690 enduro and just need to figure out if I'll be riding to mcallen or catching a ride.

That was a great trip/tour! Looking to do the next, as well as some more MX trips this fall and winter. Contact me if you or anyone you know that is planning a ride into MX!

I've secured the date. Would like to be added to the list. '09 DR650. Been wanting to get to Mexico for years.

I live in Santa Fe (south of Houston) and I will gladly drive/ride with someone.

So far the furthest I've been on it has been to austin and back for the motogp.
I had my motard wheels on then, but on this trip I'd been using the dirt trim. I've also considered getting a tubliss kit on those. I run a tubless kit on the motard wheels currently.
I could make it there in one day, but I'd have to start early and finish late :mrgreen:

I also have a seat concepts seat on the way and gonna do a trip to lafayette next week hopefully for another "trail run". I also have been doing long trips on my sport bike and will be again at the end of this month.

I've also been to monterrey a couple times years past, and recently went to nicaragua. I'm pretty stoked about a ride like this.

IMG_20160320_150736.jpg

sorry.
other mods I've done have been a full fmf exhaust, shift kit, k&n air filter, fancy airbox cover, baja designs headlight and what you see. I love this bike and its been a money hole lol

I'm considering just riding all the way, just cause it'd be so much nicer than being stuck in a car.

In my 4 trips to Mexico I've always driven to McAllen, while many else ride. Here are my pros and cons of driving in a truck:

Cons:

You don't get to ride 500 miles of superslab.

Pros:

You only take to Mexico what you need in Mexico. The rest stays in the truck including...

You can carry a firearm in transit

When you get back to the states you have a fresh change of clean clothes in a suitcase in the car

If you break down or destroy your bike in Mexico, you only have to get back to the border

If you get hurt in Mexico, your friends only have to get you to the border

Sharing drive time means less fatigue

If it's your first trip south, you can ride down with an expert to give a bit of advice

Its a great time to plan the routes you'll be riding.

I did the Jalpan trip this past April,, rode the 6 hours down from Austin. Kind of boring, but my 1st to the Valley on a bike/Kawa 650 KLR. I'll be moving between now and Oct for that trip and will be looking to locate in the Brownville/McAllen area anyway. Can't wait for cooler weather and the OCT trip.

If I can talk a buddy into going I'd buy a cargo trailer like I want, but other than that I'll try to bribe someone into letting me hitch a ride :D

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

When I hurt myself in Mexico and rode the 300 miles to the border I WAS SOOOOOoo HAPPY to get in my truck to complete the 580 miles home!!

I'm sure I'll never ride down to the border and back. Just no joy in it.

sorry.
other mods I've done have been a full fmf exhaust, shift kit, k&n air filter, fancy airbox cover, baja designs headlight and what you see. I love this bike and its been a money hole lol

Right on! That's a purdy machine! They are all a dang money hole it seems. Just like any hobby!

In my 4 trips to Mexico I've always driven to McAllen, while many else ride. Here are my pros and cons of driving in a truck:

Cons:

You don't get to ride 500 miles of superslab.

Pros:

You only take to Mexico what you need in Mexico. The rest stays in the truck including...

You can carry a firearm in transit

When you get back to the states you have a fresh change of clean clothes in a suitcase in the car

If you break down or destroy your bike in Mexico, you only have to get back to the border

Sharing drive time means less fatigue

If it's your first trip south, you can ride down with an expert to give a bit of advice

Its a great time to plan the routes you'll be riding.

Yup Peter... This all makes great sense to me!

When will you be putting up a "confirmed" sign up list?

Just for a datapoint, it has been costing ~1100 pesos for the permit and 390 pesos for tourist card at the border. We have made a few trips down over the last 6 weeks.

Shadman, we are planning on attending this rally. Please sign up myself (David) and wife Becky.

Thanks

David

Put me on the list please. i dont have paypal. can i mail it?
ken musgrove

Just for a datapoint, it has been costing ~1100 pesos for the permit and 390 pesos for tourist card at the border. We have made a few trips down over the last 6 weeks.

Shadman, we are planning on attending this rally. Please sign up myself (David) and wife Becky.

Thanks

David

Awesome!!

For newbs:

1100 pesos equals $60 for the vehicle permit (plus deposit of $200 pre 2000 +/-, $300 2001-2007+/-, $400 2008+)

390 pesos equals $20 for the (180 day) tourist card (aka travel visa)

But for this trip, note a 7 day tourist card is FREE if travelling by land, but this often (discretion of border office employee) limits you to only a 7 day tvip vehicle permit. This is just fine for the 4 day Galeana excursion.

fyi sometimes its better to get 6 month permit so that if u have bike problems or an accident, u wont be under da gun to get it out of da country when having 6 months to do it might give u more flexibility to travel back to states n get parts or a support vehicle or time to recover injuries.

What are the chances of renting a bike on the Mexico side of the border?

Whut?? Here's why...

I'm looking to take my son with me. I have an XT250 (perfect for the trip) and an NC700X (a bit larger than ideal). So I'm wondering if I could truck my XT only to the border, go thru the border 2-up, then rent a second bike (something in the 200-400 range) on the Mexico side. :rider: :rider:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back