• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riders,

The Pemex gas station in Rayones is closed. I have no idea if there are plans to re-open it. Don't plan on getting gas there. We went through there yesterday and needed gas badly. Ended up buying it from a guy selling it from his house from a 55 gallon drum for $7 a gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!! Passing that way tomorrow morning (Sept 6th, 2017).

Hi Bill,

I have no experience either but if you find someone willing to share sage advice I'll be happy to split the dinner tab. I'm in Addison.

Burt

Never been on a moto trip to old Mexico and am really looking forward to it. If anybody lives in Dallas and is willing to share some of your wisdom, dinner on me!

Advice on this thread has been extremely helpful. Just thought it would be fun to hear some of the war stories in person before we head south.

Thanks

Bill

I always post these two recommendations for our trips:

#1. Get a Baofeng uhf vhf radios. A UV-5R or newer version UV-5RA on ebay or Amazon. For $25 delivered it has dual band, fm radio, flashlight, charger, and earpiece. Has good range, 3 or 4 miles. If we all have same channel set there is zero chance for losing a rider.

I like to optimize my antenna for the frequency range used (I am a HAM radio operator). What freq range do you usually use? Or at least VHF vs UHF?

I like to optimize my antenna for the frequency range used (I am a HAM radio operator). What freq range do you usually use? Or at least VHF vs UHF?

FRS or GMRS standard channels/freqs, so, UHF.
Most that actually bring a radio will probably have GMRS, but there could be some with only FRS.

FRS or GMRS standard channels/freqs, so, UHF.
Most that actually bring a radio will probably have GMRS, but there could be some with only FRS.

Thank you! I'm a bit rusty on the radio stuff since I've been busy with other things but I plan to bring a hand held, higher power programmable radio so this information helps :-)

Ah, radios. great topic.

I've typically just tuned to one of the common FRS (family radio service - think walkie talkie) channels so anyone with just a simple handheld isn't left out. For Mextrek, we'll agree to a channel (and an alternate) pre-ride, probably channel 1 (and 2), and we'll all stick to it for the ride. Why? If you are off in a ditch, out of sight, all it takes is broadcasting once every 30 seconds and anyone out looking for you within a 1 or 2 mile radius will hear you. Simple and effective. You don't even have to ride with the radio turned on. Just have it accessible. And if you are in a ditch, you'll hear a thumper coming for miles and miles in the emptyness of Mexico.

Looking at my radio from last year it is still tuned to 462.562 = FRS Channel 1. As these radios are 4 watts output, only FRS 1 - 7 are technically legal. And if I recall correctly there is a setting to allow the UHF band on a Baofeng to be tuned in increments to the .0025 in UHF. In a Baofeng you simply type the channel into the unit and it stays there. If you pre-programmed your UV-5R at home with the programming cable you may already just have FRS channels 1 - 20 in your memory.

1 462.5625 Up to 2 watts Up to 5 watts
2 462.5875 Up to 2 watts Up to 5 watts
3 462.6125 Up to 2 watts Up to 5 watts
4 462.6375 Up to 2 watts Up to 5 watts
5 462.6625 Up to 2 watts Up to 5 watts
6 462.6875 Up to 2 watts Up to 5 watts
7 462.7125 Up to 2 watts Up to 5 watts
8 467.5625 Up to 0.5 watt Up to 0.5 watt[6]
9 467.5875 Up to 0.5 watt Up to 0.5 watt[6]
10 467.6125 Up to 0.5 watt Up to 0.5 watt[6]
11 467.6375 Up to 0.5 watt Up to 0.5 watt[6]
12 467.6625 Up to 0.5 watt Up to 0.5 watt[6]
13 467.6875 Up to 0.5 watt Up to 0.5 watt[6]
14 467.7125 Up to 0.5 watt Up to 0.5 watt[6]
15 462.5500 Up to 2 watts Up to 50 watts
16 462.5750 Up to 2 watts Up to 50 watts
17 462.6000 Up to 2 watts Up to 50 watts
18 462.6250 Up to 2 watts Up to 50 watts
19 462.6500 Up to 2 watts Up to 50 watts
20 462.6750 Up to 2 watts Up to 50 watts
21 462.7000 Up to 2 watts Up to 50 watts
22 462.7250 Up to 2 watts Up to 50 watts

I'll have 2 or 3 battery operated FRS handhelds (the cheap walmart kind) if anyone needs a radio.

Last edited:
talking about radio...
How do you use it? Do you keep it open in the ear all the time, or open it only when needed?
Should it be installed in a way that will allow me to talk form the helmet(which probably means uninstalling Sena)?

talking about radio...
How do you use it? Do you keep it open in the ear all the time, or open it only when needed?
Should it be installed in a way that will allow me to talk form the helmet(which probably means uninstalling Sena)?

I have mine mounted with a RAM mount and integrated into my Sena 20S with a SENA SMH10 bluetooth device. The SMH has a remote push to talk button mounted close to my left thumb.

Just registered and paid after stumbling across this thread. Took vacation and told the wife I will be attending. This will be my first adventure ride and I am really looking forward to it. I have a crf250l and a CB500x that is on the way. It should be here in a week. Just ordered RallyRaid stage 3 suspension and wheels for it and other adventure gear. I am tempted to take the CB500x. I guess after I get it built I'll do some test rides and decide which way to go. I think class 1 and 2 I'll be ok with. I have been off motorcycles for about 10 years so I am shaking the rust off. Anyway I look forward to meeting folks and stepping out into the unknown.

I've had my CB500x RR stage 3 for a year now and that's what I'm taking. Let me know how you like it.

Much cooler than I expected. I like it.

I had the same thought. Elevation obviously plays a role; I think they are at about 5400 ft. I would also assume that this means that the weather can change quickly. And quickly again!

talking about radio...

Radios are primarily for emergency use. There is no expectation for participants to have or use a radio, but it's a good idea. Some folks will ride with radios hooked up in a variety of ways. Others will just ride with it tucked in a jacket pocket and pull it out in times of need.

A. Simplest method is to use the supplied (free) earpiece and microphone. This would require taking a hand off the bar, pressing the button on the unit to broadcast out.

B. Next step up is to buy a push to talk (PTT) $20 to mount on the handlebar and use standard telephone headset with microphone.

C. From there, the sky is the limit. Incorporating a radio into Bluetooth, sena, built in speakers, etc... This is overkill, but if you ride in groups fairly often it is the hot ticket.

I will be riding with radio clipped to my backpack strap. Headset in the whole ride. Monitoring and broadcasting to my ride group. If everyone did the same we'd always know exactly what was going on. Key conversations you'd miss out on if you didn't have a radio, that should be self explanatory and expected....

OK guys, right turn in 1/4 mile at highway 21

If you look left you'll see the canyon heading to Iturbide.

Look left and down and you'll spot an abandoned car from the 1930's in a ravine.

Stopping for gas in 10 miles.

Everyone suit up. We're leaving the gas station in 5 minutes.

Hey John, why are you lagging behind so bad? Do you have an issue?

Who is Bill's riding partner? Do you know where Bill is.

Cop ahead, drive with care

I've fallen and I can't get up!!!!!!

Last edited:
@Shadman;1521219]Ah, radios. great topic.
1. As these radios are 4 watts output, only FRS 1 - 7 are technically legal.

You may already know all of this but for those who do not, (and not to be geeky or whatever) but what you say is generally true -- in the USA. Every country has their own version of the FCC which sets laws and policies on the use of the frequency spectrum in that country. In highly developed countries, regulation of frequency usage (including modes of transmission, power, license type, etc.) can -- and often is -- pretty rigidly enforced. In developing countries, often less so.

However, it's actually pretty easy to locate a bandit station.

I won't bore you with the details but I've learned the information I'm sharing by doing a lot of "interesting" work in many dodgy countries. You may have different experience, which is awesome!

My radio experience in developing countries is NOT in Mexico, so take this with a pinch of salt... but in many developing countries you can generally assume the following related to 2-way radio possession and use (true in S. America and Africa anyway):

1. The government will usually overlook it if you're not bothering anybody with too much use (transmission), interfering with legal frequency usage, using foul language, or broadcasting with too much power, and if for a "credible reason," such as safety. However, they could use it as an excuse to hassle you or seek a bribe. Exception is if you have an internationally recognized license such as a USA FCC Amateur license or similar, in which case use has to conform to that country's laws. In general, as with a camera, it's best not to be too obvious about having a radio or antenna near military, police or other critical infrastructure facilities or operations such as airports, border crossings, checkpoints, government buildings, military facilities, antenna installations/towers or other critical infrastructure, etc.

2. Authorities (and everyday people) associate 2-way radios with government/military, spies and smugglers. When I lived in Nairobi a UN colleague of mine was shot during a robbery because he had a hand-held radio and the bad guys assumed he was an undercover cop.

3. The government (especially military and intelligence) may be monitoring depending on different factors. Maybe you don't care; maybe you do.

4. Bad guys also use radios and so may overhear your traffic. I do know for an absolute fact that narcos use very high tech radios, scanning receivers, and radio communication techniques (encryption, automated frequency hopping, duplex repeaters, net control stations, communications plans, etc.). They may use what you say to plan a robbery/kidnapping or to do other unpleasant things to you/your team - if you give them specific, actionable and timely information useful to that end.

So in general, it's good to say as little as possible on the radios both in terms of how often people talk and how specific they are when they talk. It's best to avoid the use of peoples' names, unique locations, times, etc.

To avoid unwanted government attention is helps to minimize radiated power (how many watts you're using), too much unnecessary chatter, and certainly any foul language.

An analogy: Legally, running your high beam or maybe even racing lights on your motorcycle during the daytime is illegal, but most cops will overlook it because they know you're doing it for safety reasons. Same with the radios. If you're not consuming too much radio spectrum or time and it sounds safety related, then they tend not to bug you. And if your're not giving away people's names (first and last name to LinkedIn to income and Facebook for family = good hostage targets), and if you're not telling bad guys where you are and when and so on, they they may know you're there but not be able to find you or plan ahead.

Anyway, not trying to scare monger. I try to be realistic and neither under nor overestimate risks. Having said that, two of my colleagues in Africa were taken hostage -- one from within an organized, fenced refugee camp -- and I've heard both their stories, and it not a story you want to tell about yourself. So wisdom -- and neither fear nor naive, John Wayne bluster dismissing all threats - is the way I try to roll. I like to know the threats and mitigate - not ignore or overreact to - them.

Of course everything I just said kinda applies in the back-country of Texas, Colorado, Utah, etc.

I'm sharing this so that we CAN use radios to mutual benefit and so that we are not hassled by anyone while in beautiful Mexico, eating awesome Mexican food and meeting and making new friends with wonderful rural Mexican people!

I like the idea of having a short communications planning meeting in person in the USA a day or so before we cross the border, or in a private forum online; not in this open forum. But hey, that's just my opinion!

I just want to have fun and explore with some great people - Mexicans and "Americans"! Let's go!

Last edited:
I think the fact we are rolling, in Mexico, and aren't using anything but basic handhelds means gov't isn't gonna take issue with us. That said...I think these points are meaningful and we should be vigilant.

it's best not to be too obvious about having a radio or antenna near military, police, border crossings, checkpoints....and avoid foul language.

Bad guys also use radios and so may overhear your traffic. So, avoid the use of peoples' names, unique locations, times, etc.

A short communications planning meeting in person in the USA a day or so before we cross the border (we will, part rider's meeting - Mzungu to lead)

I think the fact we are rolling, in Mexico, and aren't using anything but basic handhelds means gov't isn't gonna take issue with us. That said...I think these points are meaningful and we should be vigilant.

Yes, you nailed it. Sometimes it's the little things. I won't be walking around town with the radio – I may be sending more "signals" than I think.

Yes, you nailed it. Sometimes it's the little things. I won't be walking around town with the radio – I may be sending more "signals" than I think.

You saw I volunteered you as radio expert and rider's meeting speaker, right? LOLOLOL

Also, a USA based rider, on a dual sport, is kinda like an alien has landed in Galeana. No one will really take notice of the radio.

You saw I volunteered you as radio expert and rider's meeting speaker, right? LOLOLOL

Also, a USA based rider, on a dual sport, is kinda like an alien has landed in Galeana. No one will really take notice of the radio.

Yes; I don't know about "expert," but always happy to do what I can. There's probably someone there who knows a lot more than I do who will put me in my place, which is fine, too!

Alien - yup. Whenever I rode an R1200GS in Africa and stopped for fuel I was surrounded by 20 people in less than a minute. Always the same questions: "How big is the motor? How fast does it go? How much does it cost?" I always avoided the last question because the average person there makes $2/day so not nice to rub it in...

Yes; I don't know about "expert," but always happy to do what I can. There's probably someone there who knows a lot more than I do who will put me in my place, which is fine, too!

Alien - yup. Whenever I rode an R1200GS in Africa and stopped for fuel I was surrounded by 20 people in less than a minute. Always the same questions: "How big is the motor? How fast does it go? How much does it cost?" I always avoided the last question because the average person there makes $2/day so not nice to rub it in...

I updated the staff listing. You are now staff.

Africa is very different. I was in Luanda, Angola where the average person makes $2 - 3 a day and in downtown a hamburger costs $25. In the outskirts of town an AK47 costs $25 also. What a crazy world. Full of great people too.

Mexico is halfway on that scale. $8 or $10 a day for basic laborers. Your go pro is a month's salary. Your Shoei, 2 months. Best to play it down, a bit. But, they are used to rich Mexicans also. Monterrey playboys in $30k side by sides is fairly common, just north of where we ride, with thousands and thousands in the hills south of Monterrey every weekend. it is a pretty amazing display of disposable income. A billboard highlighting the income disparity in this semi poor country.

Last edited:
I updated the staff listing. You are now staff.

Africa is very different. I was in Luanda, Angola where the average person makes $2 - 3 a day and in downtown a hamburger costs $25. In the outskirts of town an AK47 costs $25 also. What a crazy world. Full of great people too.

Mexico is halfway on that scale. $8 or $10 a day for basic laborers. Your go pro is a month's salary. Your Shoei, 2 months. Best to play it down, a bit. But, they are used to rich Mexicans also. Monterrey playboys in $30k side by sides is fairly common, just north of where we ride, with thousands and thousands in the hills south of Monterrey every weekend. it is a pretty amazing display of disposable income. A billboard highlighting the income disparity in this semi poor country.

I updated the staff listing. You are now staff.... OGM - what have I gotten myself into!?

And how long did it take to get your Angolan visa? I had a "Diplomatico" and it took close to three months - and that was with an official request from the Government of Angola to issue the visa!!!

Anyway I'm really looking forward to the trip. And as far as riding skill goes, my role is (always) to make everyone look like an expert rider!!! Really expert!

Motorbike security recommendations.

What chain and lock do you all recommend for leaving overnight in the street at the hotel? I'm assuming I can't take it to my room or lock it up in a courtyard. Sadly, my bike has got a flashy decal set, extra lights and other "attractants." I also need to lock both wheels, I think.

First aid thoughts.

First, this is not a "to-do" it's a "what I do." Talk to your doc. Seriously.

A. First Aid Kit (primarily for your own use for yourself)

If you don't already have a kit, IMO this looks like a pretty good one for your consideration.

I like that it is trauma oriented vs. camping first aid. Comfort first aid items could maybe stay at the hotel. Perhaps the most valuable items are the C-A-T Tourniquet, the 6'' Israeli Bandage Dressing and triangular bandages. As you may know, use of a tourniquet can save a life in the case of unstoppable arterial bleeding in a limb, but it can -- or likely will -- cause the loss of that limb, so get some proper training.

http://shop.skinnymedic.com/FATPack-5x8-Wolf-Gray-greyvanquestlargemolle.htm

Like anything else, if you are unsure how to use these items, watch some Youtube videos and practice on yourself. For practice and for later real-world use, the tourniquet is reusable; the Israeli bandage (being sterile) is not. You can save money on the 4" bandage vs. the 6".

https://www.youtube.com/user/SkinnyMedic/search?query=Tourniquet

https://www.youtube.com/user/SkinnyMedic/search?query=Israeli+Bandage+Dressing+

Consider other items as you like, but this could keep you alive and would be applicable to many MC trauma experiences.

B. Medications

I always talk to my healthcare prescriber about maybe getting a prescription for an antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) to take (and keep) with me for when I eat some bad food. When my tummy gets rumbly, often 1-3 doses will put me right, if not the full week. Talk to your doc.

In the old days, for short trips, we'd just take it every day anyway to prevent food poisoning. Now, we may wait for symptoms as the risk of clostridium difficile (C. Diff) is too high.

Taking Pepto Bismol daily -- my doctor says it's okay for me (may not be for you) as it can also help prevent traveler's diarrhea.

Again, check with your doc - there are reasons not to do any one of these tings based on your health and medications. Really.

My 2-cents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back