• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2021 Honda NC750X

I'm trying to remember who in early 2014 bought the first NC700X, and reported about it on this forum. He loved the bike, but noted that, running in heavy headwinds, the bike barely had the power to hold speed at 70mph. I'm wondering how much power difference is there is in the 750.

That was me! I even rode it on the continental divide ride Rich organized. And I broke my leg on that ride with that bike.

Great bike, but obviously budget suspension. I did fall in love with the DCT on that bike.

750 should help a little bit. I put 40,000 miles on that bike in 2 years. It was aggravating going across the plains wide open throttle with a head wind going 70 and only getting 30mpg!

Loved the frunk, hated the tiny gas tank, I actually added an auxiliary gas tank.

It was also super easy to check the valves. But as usual, perfect Honda reliability.

For what I do on a motorcycle I am perfectly content with the liter sized and up bikes....as long as they have DCT [emoji23]

Very similar experience, but somebody else unless you've changed your handle. His name & handle were the same. He's a semi-pro photographer; travels practically all the time, or did then. Heck, I met up with him in Buena Vista & rode his NC. Was that you?

Man, getting old stinks. Can't remember names. :doh:

At 73 going on 74 (hopefully), my motorcycle needs are changing. The 2021 NC750x is appealing as I am now trying to avoid tickets and hospitals. My Bandit and RT have plenty enough torque and horsepower to satisfy my need for speed but I need to calm down. Restraint means I'll be able to ride longer. Limited horsepower means I will have to be patient instead of risking a quick pass of a semi going uphill or pulling out in front of traffic. Maybe I won't be pushing it on a little country road where I know a deer may jump out at any moment. My RT's Brembo ABS brakes have rescued me more than once. I've ridden stupid at times. That needs to change. My little Ninja 650 has a calming effect. The Honda's fairing and ease of maintenance would be welcome. The lower seat height and CG I need. I don't care what the swingarm looks like. I can see just owning the little Ninja and NC.

Pushing a headwind at 80 while going uphill on my Tenere caused my gas mileage to go down to 28 mpg, maybe lower. I imagine the NC's mileage would suffer too going flat out in a headwind and it has a small gas tank. The little Ninja's mileage drops quite a bit cruising above 75. At seventy it's good. Just have to live with the limitations of the machine.

Last edited:
@JQ1.0 has put a bunch of miles on a NC700X. He can ride the snot out of it as well. I've been behind him doing 65mph on a dirt road watching him pull away on the NC700X.

I enjoyed the miles I put on our DCT NC700X. In the end, it was just a little boring to ride on the pavement. Maybe this new souped up 750 might change that.

Very similar experience, but somebody else unless you've changed your handle. His name & handle were the same. He's a semi-pro photographer; travels practically all the time, or did then. Heck, I met up with him in Buena Vista & rode his NC. Was that you?

Wasn’t me, nobody ever asked to ride the beast [emoji23]

5030acc847f32e404d68730206652597.jpg

b92a405a6dd13529f720ffdeefc07dcf.jpg

At 73 going on 74 (hopefully), my motorcycle needs are changing. The 2021 NC750x is appealing as I am now trying to avoid tickets and hospitals. My Bandit and RT have plenty enough torque and horsepower to satisfy my need for speed but I need to calm down. Restraint means I'll be able to ride longer. Limited horsepower means I will have to be patient instead of risking a quick pass of a semi going uphill or pulling out in front of traffic. Maybe I won't be pushing it on a little country road where I know a deer may jump out at any moment. My RT's Brembo ABS brakes have rescued me more than once. I've ridden stupid at times. That needs to change. My little Ninja 650 has a calming effect. The Honda's fairing and ease of maintenance would be welcome. The lower seat height and CG I need. I don't care what the swingarm looks like. I can see just owning the little Ninja and NC.

Pushing a headwind at 80 while going uphill on my Tenere caused my gas mileage to go down to 28 mpg, maybe lower. I imagine the NC's mileage would suffer too going flat out in a headwind and it has a small gas tank. The little Ninja's mileage drops quite a bit cruising above 75. At seventy it's good. Just have to live with the limitations of the machine.

Hey Zephyr, what year model and version Ninja 650 do you have? I bought a new Z650 this summer, and I've been thoroughly impressed with it. I've continually been in motorcycles since 1970, but I got out of pure street/highway bikes in the mid-80's. This is the first pavement burner I've owned since...all pure dirt bikes and DS bikes since the mid-80's.

Man...this little twin 650 has the horsepower of my '72 H2-750 and my '73 Z1, and with less weight. It's a torquey little bugger too. You comment about fuel mileage seems to fit my findings as well. In the first 1000 miles I couldn't get out of the mid to high 40's when doing highway speeds of 75 or better. I installed a Rapid Bike EVO fuel controller and since break-in and a little adaptive learning of the module, I can break into the 50's now at those same speeds. The RB EVO also smoothed out fuel delivery throughout the range.

I see you're from Zephyr, TX. I graduated from Blanket, TX. Small world. :rider:

@skiphunt he still pops in from time to time.

I'm still around. Still riding. And still riding the nc700x. Still going strong too. No need to be looking at another bike at the moment, but I'd consider buying one again when the time came. No issues with mine at all. Granted, I've only got 44k on it, but it's been very reliable overall.

Haven't been traveling much due to the pandemic. I did a few motorcycle camping trips out to Bend, Texas and also East near the Louisiana border around Hemphill, Texas. I'd like to get out some more soon. I had planned to go to New Mexico a couple months ago but all the state parks were closed to out of state visitors and many of the campgrounds were closed. They were also requiring 14day quarantine. Might try to do Big Bend again since they're slowly starting to open back up.

Need to get back out soon before all my human joints start to rust. ;)

TNC, I'm on 590 and Turkey Peak Road and run up the Blanket highway when going to Brownwood. It is a small world.

It's good to know someone else on TWT is riding a Ninja 650. Mine is a 2019 non abs bike. Wasn't planning on buying it. Did a 30 minute free roam test ride and I discovered that it's what I need: light weight, low seat, has good torque, power, and decent wind protection since I added a Madstad windshield. For my skills, it handles and stops well. For day rides I have a magnetic tank bag and saddlebags on the back. Seriously considering selling my other three bikes and buying the new NC for longer trips.

Zephyr, dang I wish they made that windshield for my Z650. I've putzed with different hardware trying to find something that will suitably fit my bike, but there is precious little real estate on the handlebar with the front brake master cylinder being the huge obstruction. I'm looking at Puig products right now, and there's one that might actually work.

LOL!...I did the same as you with a Fly brand magnetic and quick release strap attachment setup. I did something a little different in the rear. I removed the idiotic, useless passenger seat and made an aluminum plate to replace it. I made hardware to mimic the factory key locking attachment and slots, and it attaches just like the OEM passenger seat. This allowed me to physically attach a nice Nelson-Rigg tail bag of a size that is actually useful...and I can remove it in a second with the plate attached just like our passenger seat was removed.

Here's another oddity. Mine is a new 2017 model that sat unserviced at a nearby Kawasaki dealership. I work part time at a shop in Abilene, and we did a dealer deal between the two shops that allowed me to get the bike at a ridiculously low price. In the great Covid motorcycle buying frenzy of 2020, I don't know what those guys at that shop were doing. When I picked it up there were other brand new past models sitting there...weird.

As you know, our two models of 650 are basically the same identical bike...mine naked, yours with fairing and such. I've been really pleased with the front fork, but I have an Ohlins shock coming possibly today for the rear, as I feel a definite compression spike that of course is not tunable. Obviously I intend to keep this bike for some time. It has been a real pleasure and a hoot to ride. I have a set of Shinko 705's sitting in the shop ready to go on at some time as I intend to also ride a few dirt roads with the bike out west while mainly doing pavement stuff.

TNC, you're way over my head at improvising and adapting. The passenger seat plate is genius! Thinking out of the box. I didn't look at the Ninja 650 until I searched Madstad's web site to see if they offered a windshield.

Regarding the 2021 NC750: lots of complaining about the loss of more than an inch of ground clearance. Some didn't like the lowered ratio of the first three gears. I'm a little worried about the final tally if Honda accessories are added. Unknowns are if the seat comfort was addressed or the new windshield is actually better.

Zephyr, on the 23rd of this month, Kaw is releasing info on some new models, and the talk is that one of them may be the replacement to the KLR650 in the form of a twin 650-750 ADV bike...have to wait and see how that shakes out. Honestly with the extreme success of the Yamaha T7, Kaw has been needing to update the Versys 650...more suspension travel, etc. Our engine is fully capable of going as high as 750cc as evidenced by the AMA flat track version that won the championship not long ago. It will be interesting to see. Our trellis frame design...new in 2017...allowed a good weight drop over the old side shock Versys frame and would be perfect for ADV.

Ground clearance...yeah, even if just doing some dirt roads, it would be very advantageous to have more. Our bikes actually have quite a bit of ground clearance if the pipes were tucked more to the side like the T7...another feature of trellis frames. That Honda is a nice bike. We sold a couple over the years since its introduction, but they have never been crazy popular. Probably more of an esthetics thing, because the bike is super reliable and durable...but then aren't most Japanese designed bikes these days...LOL!

Back when I first got my 2012 nc700x (bought new but in 2013)... I was on a trip that had me passing through Memphis for a couple days. I was on the nc700x and needed some chain maintenance. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was simple enough that I could've done it myself but I hadn't brought the right tool.

There was a Victory dealership near the hotel I was staying at, so I stoped by and asked if I could borrow a tool for a few minutes. They said they'd just do it for me no charge.

While I waited, the manager asked how I liked the nc700x. I don't him I liked it just fine but I didn't know how it would do off road. At that point I'd only been on pavement. He told me you'd be surprised what the nc700x can do off-road. He said he used to manage a Honda dealership and they'd take the nc700x out on the dirt and even jump them off ramps getting 12 feet of air. I told him I was surprised... that it seemed like it was more of a commuter that could maybe do a few dirt roads if need be. He said, "No, those bikes are built like tanks. You can even pull wheelies at speed if you know what you're doing. We tried to see how much they'd take and were never successful actually breaking them."

I don't know how true any of that actually is, but I have taken mine off-road in Colorado and various other places in Utah... and done things on the nc700x that frankly surprised me. It doesn't have enough low-end for soft sand, but I managed ok in several situations where I thought I'd got in over my head.

Only issue at all is that out in West, Texas with heavy crosswinds, semi-truck wind drag, and everyone doing 85mph+... it was a challenge to keep up in heavy headwind. Situations that I know wouldn't have been a challenge for the v-strom 650 I had before it. But, overall... I've been very happy with it and would definitely check out the latest model if I was ready for a new one. So far, it seems like this bike could go an easy 200k without needing anything serious done to it.

Still nothing from Honda USA about the newly updated NC750X...

Here's the intro video for Europe:

It's finally out!

We only get red...

2021-nc750x-gallery-01-2400xauto.jpg

Looking at the specs, the one thing that bothers me a bit is the 3.8 gal gas tank. For an adventure-tour bike, that seems a little on the smallish side. However, if the mileage is consistent with what people here on TWT reported, it will hopefully still have a safe cruising range in the area of 200 miles.

I'm admittedly spoiled by the big 5.3 gallon tank on my VStrom and the 50+ mpg I typically get when traveling.

But I love the look of the bike. And I love red. Well done, Honda.

Looking at the specs, the one thing that bothers me a bit is the 3.8 gal gas tank. For an adventure-tour bike, that seems a little on the smallish side. However, if the mileage is consistent with what people here on TWT reported, it will hopefully still have a safe cruising range in the area of 200 miles.

I'm admittedly spoiled by the big 5.3 gallon tank on my VStrom and the 50+ mpg I typically get when traveling.

But I love the look of the bike. And I love red. Well done, Honda.

That 3.8 gallon tank sucked big time. I plumbed in a 2 gal reserve tank on my nc700...problem fixed!

Everybody sees motorcycles through a different lens. I see the new NC750X with the 17" front wheel, lowered seat, and better wind protection as a great commuter/adequate touring bike bike. I've been looking forward to it's availability every since the upgrades were announced. I can live with stopping every two hours for gas. Being designed for owner maintenance is a big plus. Probably some will want a more comfortable aftermarket seat. Honda heated grips, luggage and center stand I will want. I wasn't able to find accessories for it online but I'm sure a they will be offered and add quite a bit the the total price.

I have a problem with with my Bandit and limited bike skills. I've been foolish and basically lucky with it's instant, torquey power. My recent chasing and egging on a pickup down a twisty, two lane road at up to a hundred was just completely stupid.

I'm 73 and have to be wiser. I'm aware of my other bikes limited power (especially the KLR and surprisingly the Ninja 650). and seldom exceed the speed limit. They're still fun to ride. I'm sure the limited power of the NCX750 will have the same calming effect. The total price, with my needed accessories, will be the deciding factor.

Back