• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3rd Bandit

Haha, good, I'm not the only one. After spending some time looking for seats for the Bandit, choices seem to come down to three: Sargent, Corbin, and either a gel seat, alaskan butt pad, airhawk cushion, seat mod, etc. I ordered the Sargent regular. The Sargent low seems like it may have 1" or so less padding and I'm looking for the most comfort I can get.

Sweet!! shopping is even better than riding when it's this dang hot!! Altho' I've never bought a seat, and at this point, my back and knees give out before my butt gets sore. I had flipped the pegs years ago, and added an extra set of pegs slightly forward,at the lower motor mounts, so knees should be fairly good as-is. Got my coolant changed, and oil/filter, put my new battery in, and put the 18T sprocket back on. I think I've done everything that needed done, now. Brake and clutch fluids were done on day one, OMG, it actually smelled as bad as it looked! Also put the old powerbronze screen back on, along with a clamp-on spoiler robbed from my WeeStrom. Trying to decide whether to also rob the Vstrom of it's rear trunk. Ran uptown to fill the tank before it got too hot. It's amazing how light this thing feels. Certainly not like lifting that dang ST up off the kickstand, lol.

Last edited:
Anybody try aftermarket windshields or something like the MRA add on shield? New seat is working well but I'm now getting buffeting with this new seating position. I am contemplating an FJR.

I have an MRA type clamp on spoiler (cheap Ebay clone >$30 ) on my Powerbronze screen that helps with buffeting, but it won't begin to compare to an FJR.

I have an MRA type clamp on spoiler (cheap Ebay clone >$30 ) on my Powerbronze screen that helps with buffeting, but it won't begin to compare to an FJR.
Thanks. I ordered an MRA add on screen. Hope to try it out this weekend. I've said this before, the bandit is fantastic and suits the kind of riding I do well. It's the long trips and extended time on interstate that's the issue. Generally I do one MC trip per year so that's the exception and I can deal with it. I think I'm just bummed because the new seat solved one issue for me and introduced a new one..

Actually, black is the only color I've ever seen on these.....may be the only available?
That's because it's not a Bandit. It's the GSX1250FA and you are correct black is all they were available in the US and for one year only. I did like the instrument layout better than the Bandit, more gixxer like, but that's about it. Same bike wearing different skins....

................................. Anyway, my point is, I still haven't found another bike that I like as much as the Bandit, not that I'm looking.

I saw your post on the FJR forum! lol You're as bad as me. It's an addiction, and there is no cure!!!

Im jonesing for a Bandit 1250s 16 model. Some good buys in Bartlesville OK, and a new one in Granbury. Cycletrader.

Give the dealers a call. Many times the bike has been sold but the listing lives on for a long time.

The Oklahoma Bandit was listed June 19, 2019.

The Granbury bike was listed August 19, 2019

I'm joining this thread late but had to say that it saved me from buying another bike...I also have a motorcycle obsession and this cold weather isn't helping! So fortunately I read thru this thread and decided that the bandit is probably the best bike for me. Took it from Illinois to Atlanta and didn't have any major probs. and its just an all around great bike. I've modified it to serve as a touring bike but also use it as my daily commuter. Just wish is was shaft, but thinking about adding an automatic oiler so I don't have to worry about chain maint. so much.

I'm going to wax philosophical for a minute since this thread has been necroed. An old bushcrafter once said in a book that to survive one needs 3 blades. A big knife, an axe and a pen knife. They all serve their purpose and fill a different role. Much the same can be said for golf clubs. You need a driver, you need a wedge (or a few) and you need a putter. In my opinion firearms and motorcycles are much the same. To me sport bikes represent a scalpel. The are sharp and in the wrong hands can do a great deal of damage. On the other hand, if wielded correctly they can be used to execute very precise actions. The bandit, much like the nakeds and ujm's and enduroes (ie upright bikes) are swiss army knives. Sure, you can carve with it, but it ain't no scalpel. Your cruisers, gold wings, glidey glides, they are axes. You can split wood with them all day long and it is a good honest way to spend ones time. Point being, never save yourself from buying another bike. That's like thanking someone for telling you they like vanilla icecream too, so you didn't get any other flavor. If you want another bike, try another bike. You can always come back to a bandit if that's where you settle.

I love mine, but I've got a feeling there are a bunch of other bikes that I will love for completely different reasons. Like the r1 I've got in the shop or the heritage softtail I've got at my place in stephenville.

Sorry for the long winded post. Happy riding

I'm keeping my Bandit. It's paid for, solid dependability, excellent torque, great commuter, fun to ride, thirty inch seat height (how many large motor, metric bikes sold now are that low?) and will probably out last me.

I'm going to wax philosophical for a minute since this thread has been necroed. An old bushcrafter once said in a book that to survive one needs 3 blades. A big knife, an axe and a pen knife. They all serve their purpose and fill a different role. Much the same can be said for golf clubs. You need a driver, you need a wedge (or a few) and you need a putter. In my opinion firearms and motorcycles are much the same. To me sport bikes represent a scalpel. The are sharp and in the wrong hands can do a great deal of damage. On the other hand, if wielded correctly they can be used to execute very precise actions. The bandit, much like the nakeds and ujm's and enduroes (ie upright bikes) are swiss army knives. Sure, you can carve with it, but it ain't no scalpel. Your cruisers, gold wings, glidey glides, they are axes. You can split wood with them all day long and it is a good honest way to spend ones time. Point being, never save yourself from buying another bike. That's like thanking someone for telling you they like vanilla icecream too, so you didn't get any other flavor. If you want another bike, try another bike. You can always come back to a bandit if that's where you settle.

I love mine, but I've got a feeling there are a bunch of other bikes that I will love for completely different reasons. Like the r1 I've got in the shop or the heritage softtail I've got at my place in stephenville.

Sorry for the long winded post. Happy riding

1202067- Loved your response! A great analogy and well said! I'm still considering a second bike...at one time I had 3 all different types (cruiser, sport and adventure). As I'm getting older I'm leaning more towards lighter weight bikes but its hard to find enough power in a lighter weight, upright position. Oh, I should add with a low seat....its hard to beat the bandit! I rode V Strom for many years but found myself riding the bandit more. Thinking about a Honda CB 500 or a versys 300 now...lol

Last edited:
Son...I'm 66 yrs young and i love this 1250S..its a beast..and it is as versatile as you have said.. I keep lusting for heavier sport touring machines with shaft drives and full fairings..but they weigh in more than i care to juggle..500lbs is just right and the 1250S mill is undoubetdly one of the very best engines in all of motorcycledom...I've only owned mine 8 months... so I am late to the table..so to say...but better late than not at all..I'm here in Nc and we do have some of the very best roads in the country..the whole SE region with the Blue ridge and Smoky Mtns is hard to beat for 2 lane mtn twisties..The Bandit was made for this....:rider:
Curious how you feel about your bike now...I have the same model with the bags, but a taller screen and risers...

Have you looked at an fz09 or a z900?
If I get a second bike (likely) I was thinking of one with higher mpg than the 1250...and good wind protection. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Last edited:
Anybody try aftermarket windshields or something like the MRA add on shield? New seat is working well but I'm now getting buffeting with this new seating position. I am contemplating an FJR.
Did you find a shield? I have the V Stream. Initially I tried the tall and it worked great, but I hated the look. Now I have the next size down with a spoiler. Both options have worked great for me...not that crazy about the looks but they are very effective..even for riding without a helmet..no probs. I'm 5'8" for reference.

And how cool is that dmerc to buy back your very same bike 10 years later! I had two previous Bandits, both blue but different shades, and on my current red Bandit I miss the color matched luggage inserts. I traded those first two Bandits for other bikes too early, didn't appreciate what I had at the time. Also, I'm a member of the "more money than brains" club. For my current red bike, I still had the blue inserts and luggage so I sanded them down and painted them all black with truck bed liner. It's not a professional job, but I'm happy with it. Here's a pic from two weeks ago, my 2016 with about 7500 miles on it.
Beautiful bike...I have the 2007 with the side cases...curious how the 2016 handles with more weight...looks great!

If I get a second bike (likely) I was thinking of one with higher mpg than the 1250...and good wind protection (since I don't like to wear a helmet...shhh). Thanks for the suggestions :)
I thought you were looking for light, powerful and upright. My bad. For the record, I get between 18 and 22 on my '01 bandit 12. I also get tossed around quite a bit in the wind unless I plant my nose on the clocks. I'm pretty sure it'd be about the same on the 1250. Just can't stop twisting. Sure is fun though.

I'm pretty sure they make some substantial spit guards for the fz (mt) 09 and the z900. I'm also pretty sure they deliver some decent fuel economy when you don't give them the guts. I'd have to check the specs, but if the 1250 bandit beats either of them at the pump, I'd be surprised. They are both also lighter than the bandit. They have bags for them. Last time I sat on one it felt down right cozy and I don't think I'd have any problems chewing up the highway or running to the store for milk. Just my opinion though.

Have you looked at an fz09 or a z900?
Thanks for your thoughts...I sat on a MT-07, which I think is similar to the FZ09...great bike...so many bikes and so little time...lol I would like a lightwght, upright bike but also trying to get high mpg...also like a shield cuz I don't like wearing my helmet. The bandit really checks all the boxes but after a long winter I have an itch to explore other options! Can't wait to start riding again!

Curious how you feel about your bike now...I have the same model with the bags, but a taller screen and risers...
Crashed and burned back in Oct of 2018..been awhile already..dayum..But I want another Bandit..i loved it and i was still dialing it in to my comforts...Problem is starting all over again with the comfort farkles..the stock seat didnt work and the handlebars were not close enough even with a 1" riser..But the power and the weight were just perfect for me.. In 45 years of riding street machines I can easily say the the Bandit was the best of them all...
Retired now...income has slowed..bought a vintage XS650 and trying to fix it to resell..then i can revisit the notion of another Bandit 1250S..
Good luck with yours...

Crashed and burned back in Oct of 2018..been awhile already..dayum..But I want another Bandit..i loved it and i was still dialing it in to my comforts...Problem is starting all over again with the comfort farkles..the stock seat didnt work and the handlebars were not close enough even with a 1" riser..But the power and the weight were just perfect for me.. In 45 years of riding street machines I can easily say the the Bandit was the best of them all...
Retired now...income has slowed..bought a vintage XS650 and trying to fix it to resell..then i can revisit the notion of another Bandit 1250S..
Good luck with yours...
The 2016 Bandits are heavier than years past unfortunately. I just purchased a used Honda CB 500x this week...you may like this bike too...Its a standard, lightweight bike. The seat feels lower cuz its narrow. The handlebars are perfect and the seat seems pretty comfy. Despite its 500cc's I've read it can maintain 80 on the highways and also hit the dirt roads. I bought it mainly cuz it gets great gas mileage & its lightweight. The older I get, the lighter I'm going!

B1250, when you have some miles on your CB 500x, I'd like to know your thoughts on it. I've been searching for lighter bikes since I don't have the reflexes, strength, or power needs of my youth when I was 65. Now 72, going on to 73 soon. Recovering from a broken fifth lateral metatarsal after dropping my Bandit about a month ago. For reasons I've forgotten, I passed on the the CB 500x and last Fall bought a Kawasaki Ninja 650. My first sport bike and It was a learning lesson. Bandit features like a standard center stand, ability to add luggage, better wind protection, incredible instant torque, and the upright seating position I miss on the Ninja. The deciding points may have been the Honda's seat height of 31.8" versus 32.8" on the Ninjas and it's quicker quarter mile time. The Ninja seems gutless compared to my Bandit but that's OK. I need to ride more conservatively. But, I am thinking I made a mistake buying the Ninja.

I know some guys down here in Houston that would be willing to do some horse trading with you if you really do have remorse over getting the ninja. They run a little shop called Houston motorcycle exchange. Good folks. They have a bandit in there as well, but it's a 1200 not the 1250 with the efi and what not.

Back