• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

68 Triumph T120 Project

Reaction score
So I recently acquired a 68 Triumph T120. It is a borderline basket so it is perfect. It has good bones but will be a full blown project. It was "chopped" in the late 70's and not my normal thing it has a certain allure to it. I've built restored renovated lots of bike so this isn't really that daunting. I picked it up due to the price and I always wanted one. The motor is intact and has a couple "era" upgrades, turns over etc. I have original manuals etc, I have done light engine work but I've never embraced one of these. So it will not be a restoration. I am thinking of making a solid true to "original vision" of what today might be a rat bike, but in the day it was a home built custom.

That all said, anybody know a good old school Triumph resource in TX? Preferably DFW? True to form it hasn't run in prolly 40 years and has already piddled oil on my floor. So clearly it likes it's new home and is marking it's territory. Never mind that if it's leaking, it has oil. So given it's history another good thing. I can use the google but just looking for "a guy".

Thanks! Better yet it's a local resource! The more I have been digging into this bike the better it looks. For a bike that hasn't run in 40 years and just sat the overall condition and potential are great. I've seen way worse that sat for far less time.

Oh fun! I'm in awe of anyone digging into a restoration project. I'd love to dabble at one but I lack the mechanical skills to do much more than working on peripherals. I look forward to watching your plans unfold with your Bonnie. Congratulations!

Sure would like to see some pictures. Here's a picture of my '70 Triumph Trophy 650. It hasn't run for 2 years so it shouldn't need much to bring it back to life.
DSCN0257.JPG

Excellent! Thank you! I appreciate that gentlemen. I have a long history with old Japanese models. I have also built several "Adventure" bikes. I have never ventured into old British iron before. Close to buying several through the years but never closed. So I appreciate the contacts above.

I've had it home for a bit and have started giving it a once over. Whenever it was started/built the electrical harness was removed. Given the magneto it doesn't need it. No rust anywhere, go with an old patina of a backyard job.

Being an optimist build a harness for a couple LED lights. Fresh everything else and it's good to go right? Anything rubber is disintegrating, plastic as well. Good bones though. Not the vision of a cafe racer I always wanted, but a pretty cool example. I think way too much to restore, as all I have is in the picture, but a good fresh and it will be a neat bike. Basically a great example of the typical 70's backyard build. The receipts are all there from everything non engine getting rebuilt before it got parked. Since it is so far from stock, I have no qualms about dumpster diving, modding and fitting it out. Purists feel free to do your thing.

Engine and frame numbers match, as does the front brake.

The last picture is a 72 XS650 I bought when I was 13. I rode it 4-5 years (I got busted for no license at 15). I wanted a British twin when I bought it but they were "too exotic" for my young brainless self. Having had rescue bikes all through my life, other than pure age one of the best I've found for condition. The most expensive bikes are always the cheap ones right?

Attachments

• left chop.jpg
    left chop.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 22
  • tail chop.jpg
    tail chop.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 23
  • right chop.jpg
    right chop.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 22
  • XS650.jpg
    XS650.jpg