• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A 10mm Kinda Thing

Reaction score
I went the Moto GP this weekend. Going on the way through Hearne my Tracer right mirror loosened up (again, but had stayed put after tightening) and flopped. I stopped at an O’Reillys and found the needed 17mm wrench to tighten. I thought about asking to just borrow the tool to tighten the mirror, but since it loosened before I went ahead and spent the $11.99 and tax. And, of course the mirror stayed put the rest of the trip.

Over the years I’ve collected a fair amount of tools. This is my 17mm lineup before I left.
IMG_4304.jpeg
I’ve had the no-name wrench for more than 30 years.

So now I’ve added this new member, Junior, to the 17mm family.
IMG_4305.jpeg
:roll::lol2:

Last edited:
17 is a very popular metric size , 18 is oddball but every time you encounter one it is very tight , real popular for rear trans crossmember bolts on trucks . And 10 mm , you can never have too many of them . Above 18 mm i dont buy metrics , a SAE will work just different numbers ive used SAE sockets up to 1200 foot pounds torque with no problem . Digging in my tool box a couple days ago i found at least 10 11mm sockets , i think ive found 11 mm nuts twice in 50 years of wrenching and once was plastic nuts in a ford truck grill so that really shouldnt count .

I can't remember which bike but one I had was an 11mm on the chain adjuster.

I've a collection of 17mm's too. Slender, long, stubby, ratchet flat, ratchet angled, etc. Plus a couple of "17 Largo"... aka 11/16" (17.4mm).

Trip tools are great. I took a toolkit with me on my trip to California, but the top nut on my triple that sits under my MV Motorrad riser plate had come loose, and I didn't have a 36mm nut. Picked one up. Also, on my trip to Florida, my rear tire went quicker than I thought it would and I had to pull the wheel to take it to Cycle Gear in Tampa. Turns out the stock tools on the FJR are junk and wouldn't do the job, so I spent a tidy sum of money buying everything I needed. Those tools were usually better than the ones in my toolbox at home, so they've been some nice upgrades.

I wish I still had the tool kit from my BMW K75's. It came with enough high quality tools that you could rebuild the bike. Each new BMW used to come with a carry bag containing a quart of oil and a battery charger. My Tracer came with one double open end 12/14mm wrench.

Last edited:
I wish I still had the tool kit from my BMW K75's. It came with enough high quality tools that you could rebuild the bike. Each new BMW used to come with a carry bag containing a quart of oil and a battery charger. My Tracer came with one double open end 12/14mm wrench.
I've been pretty impressed with the toolkit for my KTM 1190 Adventure R. I'm also somewhat frustrated. KTM insists on using torx bolts all over the bike, so much so that I have to dig out the toolkit to do anything on it. However, once that kit is out, I hardly reach into my normal toolbox because everything I need is there, and the tools aren't made of butter like the ones in my Yamaha kit.

How about the oil drain plug ? Had to change oil on a road trip years ago on my 950 and no engine oil plug socket . Had to pull the oil filter out and lean the bike over and drain the engine block that way . Next time i needed to change oil on a trip i had a socket .

Back