• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Addicted to a lens. Treatment program available?

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
I have fallen in love with a lens that was given to me when I got my Canon 40d. It's a 10-22 and I used it for most of my travel pictures. I upgraded to a Canon 6d. What lens would ease me out of my addiction.

Hmmm. If that lens works, why change? I don't even know what's out anymore. I have a Sony RX100 for travel stuff and a Sony RX10 for the heavy lifting. I use my Pixel 7 more than anything now.

Doesn't work on the new camera. That's a crop lens and the 6d is a full frame camera and I want to use it's full capabilities.

Unfortunately the L lenses are the only cure. 16-35 is sharper at the 35mm end. The 17-40 is sharper at the 17mm end. The 17-40 is an f4 lens so harder to use at dusk and dawn.

Unfortunately the L lenses are the only cure. 16-35 is sharper at the 35mm end. The 17-40 is sharper at the 17mm end. The 17-40 is an f4 lens so harder to use at dusk and dawn.
Thanks, after Jeff S suggested a 16-35 or a 17-40, I did a little internet research and it agreed with your assessment. Nearly all my pictures are during the day, so the f4 shouldn't affect me a lot. I know that dawn and dusk sometimes mean better pictures, but I also realize that I usually don't begin to stir in my tent until it starts to get light. I carry my camera and lenses in my top box and, if I bought the 16-35 f2.8, I might have to start carrying my bag into restaurants and convenience stores instead of leaving a $2,200 lens and a $1,200 camera on the bike. :-P :-P

Luckily the 17-40 is MUCH cheaper. and I think there are a couple different versions of it. Older ones would clearly be cheaper still. We use the 16-35 now, but have had a couple different 17-40's. Never seen a bad one. The newer versions just fix tiny little things like chromatic abberation right at the edges, etc. If you crop the image even a slight amount that "problem" thats not really a problem goes away.

17-40 is absolutely a great lens. The 16-35 is just greater! lol

Back