• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Motorcycle Grip Replacement

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
I have grown to dislike the standard grips on adventure bikes and the ones on my new KTM 890 are the worst yet. They don't have any waffle or tread to grip with. I was wondering if anybody has tried to change them out with standard MX grips like on my smaller bikes.

The reason I ask before I start cutting off the old ones is the fear of discovering there is something non-standard about the stock grips. They almost seem to be wider than MX grips.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I put Grip Puppies or something similar on my 1200 GS. I found the smaller OD grips on many bikes hurt my hands after riding all day. The Grip Puppies add padding and I have no problem hanging on to them as they conform to the inside of my hands. Also, my heated grips still get quite hot through them. The ones I have wrap around the stock grips and have a velcro seam that runs the length of the grip, so I didn't have to remove my hand guards to install them. I just can't remember the exact brand for those.

On our 390 Adv bikes, when I went to install heated grips, it was a pain because the throttle side tube had all kinds of ribs and flanges on the ends of the tub to hold the stock grip in place. Those all had to be ground off before I could install the heated grips. However, if you are just looking to replace the stock grips with some other rubber grip that slides over the bars, that should not be an issue. I think I had these on my KLR and KTM and liked them.

Progrip 714 is my favorite plain grip, but I'm stuck on having heated grips now. I wish they made a heated version.

I’ve got these from Amazon on the Vstrom, CB500X and scooter. Grip puppies knockoffs, but they are cheap and they work. BTW, they also work with my heated grips on the strom

C02393C6-94DA-4DFC-AA0A-EBE0377E5AB3.png

The reason I ask before I start cutting off the old ones is the fear of discovering there is something non-standard about the stock grips. ....

Hey Mike, mebbe have better luck getting your question answered over on the orange kool aid thread on adv.

I'm a big fan of Grip Puppies. Cheap, very comfortable. And if you have to remove them and they get damaged in the process, it wasn't a big investment.

So is there anything "odd/expensive to replace" about the 890 ride by wire throttle tube if the original glued on grip can not be removed easily?

edit: just looked $61 for the throttle tube, Keep Throwing Money....
Mike, it also looks like the left side grip is mounted on a tube like the right side. That probably means a standard 7/8" left side gripe won't fit. Good luck. Oh yeah, the left side tube is $71.

Last edited:
I put Grip Puppies or something similar on my 1200 GS. I found the smaller OD grips on many bikes hurt my hands after riding all day. The Grip Puppies add padding and I have no problem hanging on to them as they conform to the inside of my hands. Also, my heated grips still get quite hot through them. The ones I have wrap around the stock grips and have a velcro seam that runs the length of the grip, so I didn't have to remove my hand guards to install them. I just can't remember the exact brand for those.

On our 390 Adv bikes, when I went to install heated grips, it was a pain because the throttle side tube had all kinds of ribs and flanges on the ends of the tub to hold the stock grip in place. Those all had to be ground off before I could install the heated grips. However, if you are just looking to replace the stock grips with some other rubber grip that slides over the bars, that should not be an issue. I think I had these on my KLR and KTM and liked them.

That would be Grip Puppies Lite, with the velcro. I just put a pair on my R1250 GS a week or so ago. The original Grip Puppies fit over the end of the bar and are bigger and cushier (I have some on the R1200 GSA that I bought from Kevin). The originals are still available and are a little bit less expensive than the lite version. (I decided to go with the lite version first because they're easier to install and take off)

And yes, the heated grips work fine through either kind of Grip Puppy.

I realize you seek grips for the 890, but the ProGrip 714 fit my 2016 fly-by-wire 690 just like any other bike.
And yeah, the 2016 OEM grips were not good, unlike older KTMs that came with cushier stuff.
I find the 714 very comfortable and durable, but I'm not gonna tell you what kind of underpants to wear either.

Back