• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone want to do a BDR?! NM, AZ, maybe?

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
I’d love to do a BDR but I don’t want to do one on my own. I think folks would consider me to be a B+ rider and always up for a challenge.
I e never done a BDR but have a lot of off road experience.
I would prefer to do it with folks who are timely and skilled and can go almost wherever as long as it’s not between May8 and June 24. Mid to late march would be ideal.
Anyone interested in a long ride?

Attachments

• IMG_5509.jpeg
    IMG_5509.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 27
I would be interested but 46 degree riding in mid March does not sound like fun for an old man like me.
Are you sure mid March is when you want to go? I have ridden in cold weather but this was 10 years ago and only a one day ride not several days to a week in cold weather.

St Louis Ice.JPG

Also, if you go too early, a lot of the roadways are still closed for the winter season. In mid May, I was coming back from California and looked at some of the NMBDR routes to use on the way home and many roads were either closed or about to open and were in the muddy season. Research before you head out.

Actually I’m not sure to be honest. I have time to kill in March so I just wanted to get out on a good long ride.
I’m up for anything really. I’d love to do a BDR or two this year but as I mentioned, doing one alone (especially since I’ve never done one) seems a little ambitious to say the least.
I’m up for any ideas.

I did UT BDR 1st week of June 2019. Part of the route was still closed due to snow.
Yeah, I bet Bears Ears and the Wasatch mountains could be problematic. Just curious, how did you like it? I have ridden it from Valley of the Gods to Butler Wash, but that's it.

March is actually a good time for the Arizona and Utah BDR. :thumb:
I believe March would be great for the Arizona BDR on the southern sections. I've never ridden the AZBDR, but I did a lot of backpacking along that general route. In march, once you start the climb north / north-east of Roosevelt Lake, it usually drops below freezing every night and the highs might hit the low 60's.

That said, I never had to contend with snow and ice at that time of year, just winds that can peel the top layer of skin off of you.

Here's pretty good video of the AZBDR

Last edited:
Yeah, I bet Bears Ears and the Wasatch mountains could be problematic. Just curious, how did you like it? I have ridden it from Valley of the Gods to Butler Wash, but that's it.
Fun trip and beautiful scenery. Was able to ride the missed sections in mid July 2022 after the WY BDR. Hoping to do the ID BDR this year after the Black Hills 600 route. I ride with 5 other guys, all in early to mid 70’s in age. Gotta do them while we still can.

I’ve done NM, AZ and CA in late winter, early spring. You may have to skip a section or two but easily manageable. If your riding the BMW in the photo I would skip CA. The loose sand /gravel is no joke on a big bike. AZ would be your best bet then NM depending on snow. Mogollon Rim in AZ, will likely be closed due to snow melt, there is a bypass. Most of northern NM will likely be closed due to snow. I may be interested in the ride. PM me if your interested.

That is a little pass just north of Bonita Lake. If there is snow, going around on pavement is not a big deal, meaning not a big reroute. Instead of about 20 miles of NF, would be 8 miles of pavement. Prettier via the dirt but not ugly on the pavement. The possible snowy section up through the pass is only about 4 miles long. The Nogal Canyon Hiking trail says elevation 8400'.

1708005175042.png

And you would hit snow at the northern end of the BDR between Vallecitos and Antonito, if not sooner. I hit snow last May in there, a little over 10K' at times. But there is a lot of desert on that BDR. If you want to do it, just do it. AZ will be similar in March, good in the desert, blocked in the higher elevation like folks have said. It's all an adventure, adapt and overcome soldier.....now move out and draw fire!!

1708005603845.png

Back