• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend 2011 - Feb 24-27, Terlingua

In fo sur! Just spent a week out there and am itching to see what this King Kong Hill is all about!

Zug,

As noted, no around the bend t-shirt this year. However, there is an updated Texas Adventure Rider t-shirt now available.

I'll take one of the updated t-shirts. How much? I'll do PayPal and you can bring it to BB to save the hassle of shipping.
Thanks,
Jeff

I'll try to get a picture of the t-shirt posted. Ordering information is on the registration form for the Around the Bend rally.

Sounds like a great winter break. Is a campfire allowed at Gareth Park? As one guy said, it can be colder than a witch's heart out there in February without a fire. If so there's 3-4 of us in for camping and the dirt.

Good question. I don't know of any issues with having a fire at Gareth Park as long as there isn't a county fire ban. You'll need to bring firewood with you (no trees in the desert).

Hate to break the news but.....

http://www.alpineavalanche.com/articles/2010/11/22/front/front06.txt

90 day burn ban in Brewster County. Exceptions can be granted according to the article.... I bet a campfire would not get a ticket unless it got out of control though. Heck just knowing the name of the guy that grants exceptions (Tom Santry) might get y'all off the hook if anybody asks.

Thanks for the link Ed. I'll keep a watch and maybe email Tom a couple weeks before the ride to see what happens.

K

Hate to break the news but.....

http://www.alpineavalanche.com/articles/2010/11/22/front/front06.txt

90 day burn ban in Brewster County. Exceptions can be granted according to the article.... I bet a campfire would not get a ticket unless it got out of control though. Heck just knowing the name of the guy that grants exceptions (Tom Santry) might get y'all off the hook if anybody asks.

We had a blast last time! Shadman is Crazychris coming? I'm still not 100% for this year depending on how work load goes. CDC/Shadman you guys want to just trailer bikes over? I think (hope) I should be able to make, taking care of major stuff before end of year.:trust:

We had a blast last time! Shadman is Crazychris coming? I'm still not 100% for this year depending on how work load goes. CDC/Shadman you guys want to just trailer bikes over? I think (hope) I should be able to make, taking care of major stuff before end of year.:trust:

Are you taking the KLR?
I'm still not 100%, but will certainly try.

Just called the El Dorado hotel to reserve a room and a bicycle group has prebooked all the remaining rooms there. They have to come up with the cash by Dec 15 or the five rooms will be released. I'm number two on the stby list.:doh:

Still not sure I'll have the time off, but we'll see. This looks like a good place to let my KLR pigboat waller in the dust!

I would be very curious if you could put together a Sauceda -> Fresno Canyon -> Javelin ->Sauceda loop at BBRSP. You'd need to connect through at Crawford-Smith Ranch and you'll see "No Motorized Vehicle" signs down there, but it's not clear to me if they refer to continuing on down the canyon or jumping back out to multi-use roads to the west. The volunteer at Sauceda we talked to thought we could do it, but I'm not sure of the official ruling and my group decided against it.

If you could get through there or convince the Park that there is a sustainable route through there, it would make for a GREAT loop.

Can anyone give me a hint of what the weather will be like? Cold, hot, in between, or all of the above?

Reata,

Usually it's cool/cold in the morning, mid 30s to low 40s. Sunny during the day with highs in the mid 60s to low 70s.

Every few years a "northern" will blow through and drop the temps precipitously, with some ice and/or snow, but those years are the exception, not the rule.

Sounds like with no electric garments it could be pretty brutal if the weather was in the "Exception" category. I guess I would have to commit that day to a day enjoying the sites and sounds from within my cage or touring around the Study Butte and Terlingua on foot. I am total wimp below about 50 degrees.

Oh, IMO you can count on ....nothing weather-wise. Big Bend and the Davis Mts make their own weather. I think they call it a micro-climate but I could be wrong. I have literally been ridng in 3 inches of slushy ice (fell all at once) and the next afternoon thinking it was an early spring in the park.

Cold can be dealt with. Ice and sleet? Not so much.

BTW, Richard. I'm a maybe. I'd really love to come out and play .

My favorite time/smell/place/view/taste of the day is being there at the start of Kathy's Kosmic pinon fire and getting that first cup of joe down as the sun rises over the Chisos.

And I love it when it starts out cold and warms up on a sunny day. Jeebus. I have to find a way to get out there.

Ron, can I come watch your TV? If I don't I'll have to sit on my porch and drink beer with harley riders. Ain't it awful?

Sorry! That's the price you pay for being a cheapskate. Well.....maybe for a beer.:chug:

I would be very curious if you could put together a Sauceda -> Fresno Canyon -> Javelin ->Sauceda loop at BBRSP. You'd need to connect through at Crawford-Smith Ranch and you'll see "No Motorized Vehicle" signs down there, but it's not clear to me if they refer to continuing on down the canyon or jumping back out to multi-use roads to the west. The volunteer at Sauceda we talked to thought we could do it, but I'm not sure of the official ruling and my group decided against it.

If you could get through there or convince the Park that there is a sustainable route through there, it would make for a GREAT loop.
I was there last week on the Fresno Canyon and Solitario trails on my KLX. At the end of Fresno at that Crawford-Smith Ranch point, the trail clearly stopped for motorized traffic. In fact I'm not sure there's even a foot/hiking trail that readily connects that point to Chorro Vista/Mexicano Falls trailhead at the end of the Javelin off road section. Those two points are geographically close, but maybe Rincon Mountain and other terrain features keep that from happening. Even the hiking trail system goes well to the south before bending around to the east to connect to the Javelin off road trail.

I wish I'd known about your question at the time, and I would have poked around a bit more at the end of Fresno, but I think it's the terrain features there that might be the reason that there's not even a direct connection via hiking trail between the two trail systems. You notice on the map that the hiking trail even quits going south from the Mexicano Falls trailhead, and I'm kind of remembering this is because of the extreme change in the terrain. Only one hiking trail connects the Fresno section to the Javelin section, and it's well to the south. I agree, it would be great to have a connector loop for these two trail sections.

After riding 300+/- miles into a 40 MPH headwind last year, I think I am going to trailer out this year. I'm taking the DRZ SM. I have my 3 bike trailer ready to roll from Houston, 2 open spots.

KrazeKris will be racing in the R6 Cup in Italy if all goes as planned. He will be leaving for Sicily in late January, so it's just me this time.

I have not yet booked or even looked into a room yet. If you or cdc are inclined, go ahead and pick one out and make a reservation. The Chisos Mining cabins worked well and I would not mind staying there again. The fact they leave a key out for you and you can check in anytime was really nice for our 10 PM arrival.

A good time to visit this desert community would be February, which has an average temperature of 55.7 Fahrenheit. The average high in February is 73.5 and the average low is 37.8.

Hmmm, three of us that work in El Salvador and live in Texas are working on making that.
Should know after Christmas if it´ll work out.

Back