• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that Terlingua temperatures are already fairly warm at upper 80's lower 90's. Are there very big swings in the temperatures with the elevation changes? If so, are we talking 10 degrees lower, 20 maybe?

I see that Terlingua temperatures are already fairly warm at upper 80's lower 90's. Are there very big swings in the temperatures with the elevation changes? If so, are we talking 10 degrees lower, 20 maybe?

The temps in the Chisos Basin can be 10' less, but most of the elevations are much lower and don't cause a significant temp difference.

Last edited:
The temps in the Chisos Basin can be 10' less, but most of the elevations are much lower and don't cause a significant temp difference.

What JT said, plus all the riding is done at the lower elevations. If you have never been up to the basin take the paved road up there as its pretty neat to see. The activity that take you up to much higher elevation is hiking. Emory peak being the highest in the park... 7800 or some such. Its a great hike btw.

I have to attend a weekend meeting in San Antonio. It ends tuesday so I will be loading my toy hauler up with the two bikes and heading west to attend conf then head out to off to the big bend ride on Tuesday. I need a cheap placev
to park the toy hauler in the west side of San Antonio . thanks for any recommends

OK folks, time to get your ducks lined up for Terlingua. As mentioned, I'm happy to lead a moderate, no-stress ride on Friday where scenery will be more important than pure speed. All are welcome.

That being said, if you're a BBNP/SP noob here's some things you'll need to know & do;

1) Make sure your bike is in full working order. If there's an intermittent problem that you've not got around to fixing, now's the time to do it because I personally guarantee that it will cease to be intermittent somewhere along Black Gap Road.

2) Oil, brake, radiator & clutch fluids. Make sure you're topped off all around, the gas stations in the park have limited supplies of anything automotive related.

3) Water - this is critical. You'll take weeks to die from hunger & in Big Bend only hours to die from dehydration. You need to have a Camelback or similar hydration system with enough water to get you through a night if need be. I carry 32 ounces, anything less than 24 is risking your safety & well being.

4) Food - it's a good idea to pack some munchies, Cliff bars, trail mix or similar. In Ulybrad's case, recycled breakfast food suffices too. Opportunities for fine dining are slim in the park (aside from the Chisos Basin) and it's gas station fare everywhere else.

5) Tires, tubes and the kit to fix them. Don't be THAT guy! You will need a spare tube (21" works for front & rear) a working patch kit, tire irons and some way of inflating the repaired wheel. If you're running tubeless or Tubliss, a suitable patch kit as well. Remember, if you flat you will need to get the wheels off the bike so be sure you have the appropriate tools and knowledge. If you're a Mousse guy fugetaboutit.

5) Talking of tires; you'll need some with decent tread. Nothing we're doing would be classed beyond a 1 by Richard but the surface is loose & rocky so come prepared.

6) Protection...not the "looks like a nice park you have here, would be a shame if something happened to it" type of protection, I'm talking the personal kind and Big Bend has sneaky rocks that love to get between you and the ground at every opportunity. You will need sturdy boots with ankle protection and I'm a huge believer in upper body armor at minimum (I also wear knee & shin protection). Soft tissue damage and internal injuries are no joke and those aforementioned rocks are capable of supplying both even with a simple tip over. As I've mentioned before, I know of 2 accidnets that became serious purely because the riders were not well protected. If you think some armor is expensive, price a Medi-Vac ride to Alpine or El Paso.

7) SPOT or similar satellite beacon. If you have one make sure it has good batteries and is programmed correctly. I'll have mine with me so it's not completely necessary but good to have if you plan on doing this kind of stuff often. You should expect to have zero phone coverage in the park.

8) GPS & maps; GPS is great & I'll build some tracks and distribute but a paper map should always be carried as a back up. The park has them & I also carry the highly detailed Nat Geo for the area. As above, it's almost certain you will have no phone signal in the park but some phone GPS apps (including Google maps) allow offline use, just be sure you've downloaded the correct sections for the area.

That pretty much wraps it up. Big Bend is a fantastic place to ride & with sensible precautions, very safe. This will be fun. :rider:

OK folks, time to get your ducks lined up for Terlingua. As mentioned, I'm happy to lead a moderate, no-stress ride on Friday where scenery will be more important than pure speed. All are welcome.

That being said, if you're a BBNP/SP noob here's some things you'll need to know & do;

1) Make sure your bike is in full working order. If there's an intermittent problem that you've not got around to fixing, now's the time to do it because I personally guarantee that it will cease to be intermittent somewhere along Black Gap Road.

2) Oil, brake, radiator & clutch fluids. Make sure you're topped off all around, the gas stations in the park have limited supplies of anything automotive related.

3) Water - this is critical. You'll take weeks to die from hunger & in Big Bend only hours to die from dehydration. You need to have a Camelback or similar hydration system with enough water to get you through a night if need be. I carry 32 ounces, anything less than 24 is risking your safety & well being.

4) Food - it's a good idea to pack some munchies, Cliff bars, trail mix or similar. In Ulybrad's case, recycled breakfast food suffices too. Opportunities for fine dining are slim in the park (aside from the Chisos Basin) and it's gas station fare everywhere else.

5) Tires, tubes and the kit to fix them. Don't be THAT guy! You will need a spare tube (21" works for front & rear) a working patch kit, tire irons and some way of inflating the repaired wheel. If you're running tubeless or Tubliss, a suitable patch kit as well. Remember, if you flat you will need to get the wheels off the bike so be sure you have the appropriate tools and knowledge. If you're a Mousse guy fugetaboutit.

5) Talking of tires; you'll need some with decent tread. Nothing we're doing would be classed beyond a 1 by Richard but the surface is loose & rocky so come prepared.

6) Protection...not the "looks like a nice park you have here, would be a shame if something happened to it" type of protection, I'm talking the personal kind and Big Bend has sneaky rocks that love to get between you and the ground at every opportunity. You will need sturdy boots with ankle protection and I'm a huge believer in upper body armor at minimum (I also wear knee & shin protection). Soft tissue damage and internal injuries are no joke and those aforementioned rocks are capable of supplying both even with a simple tip over. As I've mentioned before, I know of 2 accidnets that became serious purely because the riders were not well protected. If you think some armor is expensive, price a Medi-Vac ride to Alpine or El Paso.

7) SPOT or similar satellite beacon. If you have one make sure it has good batteries and is programmed correctly. I'll have mine with me so it's not completely necessary but good to have if you plan on doing this kind of stuff often. You should expect to have zero phone coverage in the park.

8) GPS & maps; GPS is great & I'll build some tracks and distribute but a paper map should always be carried as a back up. The park has them & I also carry the highly detailed Nat Geo for the area. As above, it's almost certain you will have no phone signal in the park but some phone GPS apps (including Google maps) allow offline use, just be sure you've downloaded the correct sections for the area.

That pretty much wraps it up. Big Bend is a fantastic place to ride & with sensible precautions, very safe. This will be fun. :rider:
Well said Phillip... The need for extra water cannot be over stated the only time you can have too much water is if your drowning, maybe...:rider: I always carry a full camelback and either 3 or 4 bottles extra, depending on their size.. This is usually because there`s always someone who doesn`t bring enough...

Last edited:
Phillip Barrett, good stuff and thanks. Making list now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't bail Norbert!

You will need a spare tube (21" works for front & rear)

Everything Phillip wrote is great advice and is a "must", not a "should".

However, please note that if your bike has a 21" front wheel and a 17" rear wheel (like a KLR, DR650, etc), you will need to bring both a spare front and rear tube.

You can not run a 21" tube in a 17" wheel - a 21" tube will rupture within a mile or two when trying to run it in a 17" wheel.

I learned this first hand when I attempted to use a 21" tube in the rear wheel of my KLR and had the tube rupture about 2 miles after I installed it. I was running at 70 mph when it ruptured. Not fun.

The lesson was reinforced on another trip - this one to Mexico - when a guy in my group got a rear flat on his KLR. No one in the group had a spare rear tube because everyone thought you could run a 21" tube in the front or rear tire. Our three (yes, three) attempts to get a 21" tube to work (i.e. not rupture) were met with failure. Two of us eventually rode to a nearby town and got a fellow with a pickup truck to come haul our friend & his bike into town. We eventually located an old, dusty 18" tube at a hardware store in that Mexican town, which got him back to Texas.

If your bike has a 21" front wheel and an 18" rear wheel, you might be able to make it work. But, why chance it?

Bring 2 spares - one for the front and one for the rear.

Last edited:
This is not Dakar. The weight of another tube is not going to hurt. I agree it is worth trying a 21 in an 18 inch wheel if you have no other choice. But, do you really want to break down the rear wheel a second time to remove the 21 inch tube? Bring them both. I bring a patch kit, too.

And use Ride-on on or Slime in both front and rear. And pre-slime your spares. It may not work for every puncture, but it will reduce your chances of having a flat.

Last edited:
Can we assume that a 3.75" or 4.00" x 18" tube will be an adequate spare for a tire which calls for a 5.5" or 6" x 18" tube?

Can we assume that a 3.75" or 4.00" x 18" tube will be an adequate spare for a tire which calls for a 5.5" or 6" x 18" tube?

Assuming your looking at charts for tubes to fit the 140x18 on the 690. I have seen the 5.50/6 listed on the recommendation charts, but I have not seen tubes listed for sale before. I wouldn't hesitate to mount a 4.50/5.10x18 tube in a 140 wide tire, but I would only use the 3.75 as a spare and change it out when the larger size is available. If a tube blows from heat stress, its gonna blowout fast. Not fun at speed.
Call Americanmototire at (623) 512-6923 and ask them, I know they could ship before you leave.

I'm going to call El Dorado in the next couple hours and see if I can get my money back on that room so anybody wants it before then call me or I'm on call

I'm going to call El Dorado in the next couple hours and see if I can get my money back on that room so anybody wants it before then call me or I'm on call

I'm in the same boat with their RV sites at Lost Gringo. It's booked through the El Dorado hotel and states on the reservation that they will accept a cancellation but not refund your (1 day) deposit. Don't cancel before the check in date and they keep it all. I bet it is the same policy for the rooms. :giveup:

Last call for a standard RV site at Lost Gringos, I'll be cancelling it tomorrow.

interested in this on. PM on the way

I'm in the same boat with their RV sites at Lost Gringo. It's booked through the El Dorado hotel and states on the reservation that they will accept a cancellation but not refund your (1 day) deposit. Don't cancel before the check in date and they keep it all. I bet it is the same policy for the rooms. :giveup:

Last call for a standard RV site at Lost Gringos, I'll be cancelling it tomorrow.

I'm familiar with the El Dorado hotel but where is the Lost Gringo RV Park?

Claims to be behind the adjacent High Sierra Bar & Grill. I booked it through the hotel. I have not ever stayed there before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm. I ate at the High Sierra grill 2 weeks ago and didn't see it but then again I wasn't looking for it in particular. Can't make next weekend unfortunately but will check it out next time I'm down there. Thanks

Hmmm. I ate at the High Sierra grill 2 weeks ago and didn't see it but then again I wasn't looking for it in particular. Can't make next weekend unfortunately but will check it out next time I'm down there. Thanks
I think they are just a few RV sites adjacent to the hotel, I looked on Google Earth and this is all I got:
Lost%20Gringo%20RV-L.jpg

Looks like a few spots behind the High Sierra and maybe a few adjacent top the hotel rooms?

looks like I will be able to attend part of the rally. I plan to leave the metroplex around 5am Wednesday.

I have a client meeting in Sanderson on Wednesday March 22 3-5pm, I will get to Terlingua Wednesday evening around 8ish.

Any poles or couple of trees to hang my hammock somewhere in Terlingua? I know I can hang it on the shelter at Chisos Basin in the park.

I will ride Thursday, but have to leave Friday AM early to head back to the metrolplex.

I won't get in till Thursday night, but will want to find a group or two to ride with. One day will be some two up riding on the Africa Twin with the wife and one day hard core dirt with the new Husky. Hopefully there will be time Thursday night to mingle of line up some groups.

I won't get in till Thursday night, but will want to find a group or two to ride with. One day will be some two up riding on the Africa Twin with the wife and one day hard core dirt with the new Husky. Hopefully there will be time Thursday night to mingle of line up some groups.
I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon, most likely riding 2 up on a 690. There a group of about 6 of us, your welcome to join. I'm staying at Rancho Topango on the ridge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back