• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin to Alaska ... July 2014

Congrats on making it to the Arctic Ocean! Speaking of suspension... Are you running the original Wee setup?

Nicely done Brian . 1/2 way there. Enjoy your ride home.

Brian, you are the man !!
After stumbling across your thread, the memories and visual images of my '11 Alaska trip came bubbling up. I'm digging your posts and pics immensely. The movie references are very apropos.

Amazing when you have a 600 mile day and you relate it as easy - been there and done that. The K60 is an amazing tire, my buddy and I ended up with a little over 7300 miles on one set and could have went well over 8000.

Glad you were able to take your helmet off at the Artic Circle sign. The mosquitoes were so thick in June (probably the same in July or worse) that I didn't feel like being carried off by my head. I wish now (easy to say) that we had made the trip up to Prudhoe, just didn't have enough time.

Keep up the great posts and stay safe, I'll be reading and wishing!

Eddie

Brian, you are the man !!
After stumbling across your thread, the memories and visual images of my '11 Alaska trip came bubbling up. I'm digging your posts and pics immensely. The movie references are very apropos.

Amazing when you have a 600 mile day and you relate it as easy - been there and done that. The K60 is an amazing tire, my buddy and I ended up with a little over 7300 miles on one set and could have went well over 8000.

Glad you were able to take your helmet off at the Artic Circle sign. The mosquitoes were so thick in June (probably the same in July or worse) that I didn't feel like being carried off by my head. I wish now (easy to say) that we had made the trip up to Prudhoe, just didn't have enough time.

Keep up the great posts and stay safe, I'll be reading and wishing!

Eddie
The helmet stayed off for about 30 seconds at the Arctic Sign... mosquitos almost carried me away...
filling gas on the Dalton was even worse!

I carried two cans of OFF in my tank bag -- started spraying Deet as I removed gloves and/or helmet. After a while I had so much on my 'stitch even I didn't want to land on it. :)

Back in Fairbanks. 830 miles of the Dalton complete.
I take back what I said about riding an RT down the Dalton. It was completely different today than yesterday. The RT would have been just as good if not better than the wee.
ejybejyp.jpg

Dalton damage report:
Fenda extenda cracked off an inch from the bottom.
1 windshield grommet split off and lost.
1garmin GPS stuck in a restart loop... For the last 150 miles.
1 front break/mirror perch cracked and quicksteeled back together.
se3ebesa.jpg

Watched your progress all day yesterday on Spotwalla. Was hoping you would make it back to Fairbanks last night, didn't think there were many five-star joints along the Dalton. Ride on Bro!

Think I left some Dalton grime in that same Fairbanks stall a couple of years ago. We had quite a bit of rain to contend with so I'm not sure which had more dirt come off - me or the KTM 690..

lol.... Looks like many of us have probably hit that same carwash! I remember looking down and seeing a broken bolt that wasn't there before I started washing. Turns out it was my upper shock mounting bolt that sheared and pressure washing dislodged it.

Beautiful ride down to Valdez. Changed my plans based on some input from a trusted source. Worthington glacier and bridal fall... Along with the canyon into Valdez and all the mountains are epic.
y3yzena8.jpg

abarapeq.jpg

a5e9u6es.jpg

4ezezare.jpg

I tend to eat a lot of fast on the go stuff on trips like this. But usually have 1 nice meal every other day.

Fresh salmon in a Wasabi lemon sauce with Mango chutney.... Delicious
jeme5a9y.jpg

Maybe I missed it but, why are you in Valdez ?

Maybe I missed it but, why are you in Valdez ?
Highway between Fairbanks and anchorage is all ripped up and loaded with RVs. I would have taken me double the time to get there. Plus it was raining over there and I wouldn't have been able to see my McKinley either way. That's the problem with time constraints. So I went to Valdez. Which I another awesome ride. Thompson pass and all the scenery is really nice.

Highway between Fairbanks and anchorage is all ripped up and loaded with RVs. I would have taken me double the time to get there. Plus it was raining over there and I wouldn't have been able to see my McKinley either way. That's the problem with time constraints. So I went to Valdez. Which I another awesome ride. Thompson pass and all the scenery is really nice.

Loved the trip into Valdez. Much better than Anchorage.

ATGATT. Lee
" I never worry about getting lost.
I just change where I plan on going."
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back