• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Better than Google Maps

Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Brogden
I used to use Google Maps to plan my rides, until Google made that near impossible. Played with BaseCamp and other ways to get a Google Map into my Garmin GPS and had just about given up as routes that looked fine on BaseCamp did not work out on the GPS.

Then I ran across Tyre. It's an application for PCs that allows you to plan a ride as you would on a Google Map. And routes you plan in Tyre get transferred to your Garmin or Tom Tom GPS directly and with no errors.

Once Tyre loads, click on Waypoint, Add, Manually. I type in the address destination in that box. Then do the same for my origin address. Tyre creates a route that I then modify by dragging segments onto the roads I want to ride on - same as in Google Maps. Once the route is fixed, I use Tools to make sure all Waypoints are on the road. I then connect my Garmin and transfer the route to it.

You can download Tyre for free and install it on your PC: https://tyre.en.lo4d.com/windows

Last edited:
I tried that once and didn't like it. I plan my rides in Google, but plan my routes in basecamp.

I tried Tyre a few years ago didn't like it. The current version - I like. I've never liked BaseCamp and now don't need it.

Google's "My Maps" is a lot better than just maps.google.com ...

I've been using My Maps and exporting the route so I could finalize them in BaseCamp. Regularly had problems with the routes in the Nuvi not being what the BaseCamp route was. Routes plotted in Tyre's Google Map environment do not have that problem.

Guess I'm to dumb to use as I find no way to get a map to load.
You talking about Tyre? When I load it, it shows the world. I click on Waypoint, Add, Manually. I type in the address destination in that box. Then do the same for my origin address. Tyre creates a route that I then modify by dragging segments onto the roads I want to ride on - same as in Google Maps. Once the route is fixed, I use Tools to make sure all Waypoints are on the road. I then connect my Garmin and transfer the route to it.

Guess I'm to dumb to use as I find no way to get a map to load.
Same here. I buy Butler maps and highlight things I want to see and roads I want to ride. I usually plan my route every morning while I'm eating breakfast. I use my GPS when I get lost or to find the nearest gasoline.
This is a partial map of Oregon. Marks-A-Lot dots are roads I want to ride and stick-on dots are places I want to visit. I number them by area and keep a notebook of what there is to see. Example: Red dots are area 7 and green dots are area #8. Dot 4/8 might be labeled in my notebook as "tall waterfall." My method allows me to modify my route according to what I learn from other riders or from locals that point me toward some interesting ride or landmark.
IMG_5184.JPG

You talking about Tyre? When I load it, it shows the world. I click on Waypoint, Add, Manually. I type in the address destination in that box. Then do the same for my origin address. Tyre creates a route that I then modify by dragging segments onto the roads I want to ride on - same as in Google Maps. Once the route is fixed, I use Tools to make sure all Waypoints are on the road. I then connect my Garmin and transfer the route to it.

When you've done this, what file type does it save it as? Once saved, have you tried opening it in Basecamp?

When you've done this, what file type does it save it as? Once saved, have you tried opening it in Basecamp?

You can choose from several file types - including GPX (which is what it transfers to the Garmin).

Ok, thanks. I'll have to check it out sometime.

It worked so well at never loading a map that I deleted it. Paper maps will have to do.

I've not had any trouble with it loading maps once I figured out how to create waypoints. But it's nice to have choices so we can each choose what works for us.

I'm pretty much on GAIA anymore with Google Maps with offline maps for pavement use. I can follow a custom route I build on GAIA but it won't give me turn by turn directions.

W
I'm pretty much on GAIA anymore with Google Maps with offline maps for pavement use. I can follow a custom route I build on GAIA but it won't give me turn by turn directions.
What is GAIA?

W

What is GAIA?

It's mostly used by the off road community but it's a highly flexible mapping app. Some of it is internet based but you can download offline maps easily. It has a lot of "overlays" that are very helpful when navigating public lands.

Here's a good video on a general overview on it.

It's mostly used by the off road community but it's a highly flexible mapping app. Some of it is internet based but you can download offline maps easily. It has a lot of "overlays" that are very helpful when navigating public lands.

Here's a good video on a general overview on it.

Thanks.

I'm fairly old school in the sense that I use maps and a simple GPS like an Oregon 450T. However, my trip planning and post trail review back home is always done on Google sat view. I find enough detail to even often find good remote campsites for my medium sized toyhauler that I use as base camp for extended periods.

In fact I've been somewhat interested in "Birdseye" as a in the field viewing tool but haven't really pursued it. I know it's a prescription service and I'm not too hot on that, but I go to some really remote locations out west by myself where I'd like to see the sat view of the land while I'm poking around in real backcountry locations.

I see little to no mention of "Birdseye" here or elsewhere. Is it of no value?...any experience here with it for real world use out in the real sticks? I know people are different in how their brain works in reading maps, GPS, or sat views. I've always felt fairly comfortable with Google sat view while on my desktop or laptop. I'm a little concerned about the screen size I'd get out in the field.

And one other comment...I'm not a "tracks" guy in my adventures. I've never used any loaded tracks from other riders or such. I like the freshness of the adventure as I poke around in the outback and just pay attention to fuel ranges so as not to get screwed.

Furkot is my go to routing solution for generating GPX files. Ease of use and feature rich are the main attractions for me.

I've tried to use Furkot and it just didn't click with me. Nice to have choices.

Back