• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike maintenance advice

I went out to the shop and nothing missing and everything still tight. 2023 has been tough starting New Years Eve so I am gunshy! I guess I'll know when I start twisting things. :thumb:

To properly fit the grips, one must sit on the bike and make engine noises while gripping the bars. If this is pleasurable then the install was a success.
I'm surprised y'all didn't hear me! LOL I also changed one of my fork springs Fri and it went perfectly also. Two jobs in a row going smooth is a scary thing for me lately. :shock:

Its funny how the older I get the less I trust myself. Everything seems to take longer too. I had better than perfect vision until a couple of years ago when I started to need cheaters to get anything done. The additional time glasses have added is crazy, as well as forgetting everything and checking myself 2 and 3 times just to be sure.

We will see how my Husky 501 goes. What started as a fuel pump issue related to the rubber gasket material on the gas cap disintegrating and getting into the take and fuel system turned into a much larger set of projects. Had to completely flush the fuel system including buying a fuel injector clearer device from MotionPro and replacing the fule pump. Then I decided to replace the chain and sprockets has led to rebuilding clutch master cylinder, bleeding the front and rear brakes, when I noticed the rear shock had a slight weep of oil, so off it came for a rebuild, may as well check linkage and swingarm bearings, which lead to replacing swingarm bearings and just greasing the linkage. I had to remove the rear brake master cylinder to get the bottom linkage bolt out, then I discovered that the little sealed bearings for the rear brake level weren't smooth and fresh so replacing those bearings too. May as well replace all the chain followers while I am here, then decided to put new tires on front and rear, which means tighten the spokes and true up the wheels, since the Tubeless 2 system was over 5 years old, decided to replace those with new ones too. Heck why not put on new grips and re-grease throttle body and lube throttle cables. Now I am thinking may as well replace wheel bearings while everything is still apart till the rest of the parts come in.

What are the odds of a incident free shakedown ride?

Leave those dang glasses in the house and you won't see all those things. Way less work that way. You're welcome...

Leave those dang glasses in the house and you won't see all those things. Way less work that way. You're welcome...
Obviously you have eyes that work as intended,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I remember that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,faintly!

I am almost 25 yrs into using readers. I now have 2.5 lenses and I have a set or two in PPSS. If I am wearing my regular glasses I get the neck ache pretty quickly because they are progressives and you have to move your head up and down to see stuff. Nowadays I just put on the readers as part of the job along with gloves and sometimes earplugs. Makes it all go well. I need to get some safetly glasses that are just readers, haven't looked into those yet.

I am making an appt to deal with my cataracts today and also having back surgery in June. Trying to get it all done during the hot season and healed enough to start riding when it is cooler. Fingers, toes, eyes and ears crossed!

I have one full lens pair of safety glasses that I bought at a welding store years ago well scratched and too weak but still my go to glasses when working .

Its funny how the older I get the less I trust myself. Everything seems to take longer too. I had better than perfect vision until a couple of years ago when I started to need cheaters to get anything done. The additional time glasses have added is crazy, as well as forgetting everything and checking myself 2 and 3 times just to be sure.

We will see how my Husky 501 goes. What started as a fuel pump issue related to the rubber gasket material on the gas cap disintegrating and getting into the take and fuel system turned into a much larger set of projects. Had to completely flush the fuel system including buying a fuel injector clearer device from MotionPro and replacing the fule pump. Then I decided to replace the chain and sprockets has led to rebuilding clutch master cylinder, bleeding the front and rear brakes, when I noticed the rear shock had a slight weep of oil, so off it came for a rebuild, may as well check linkage and swingarm bearings, which lead to replacing swingarm bearings and just greasing the linkage. I had to remove the rear brake master cylinder to get the bottom linkage bolt out, then I discovered that the little sealed bearings for the rear brake level weren't smooth and fresh so replacing those bearings too. May as well replace all the chain followers while I am here, then decided to put new tires on front and rear, which means tighten the spokes and true up the wheels, since the Tubeless 2 system was over 5 years old, decided to replace those with new ones too. Heck why not put on new grips and re-grease throttle body and lube throttle cables. Now I am thinking may as well replace wheel bearings while everything is still apart till the rest of the parts come in.

What are the odds of a incident free shakedown ride?
I don't think I would have any time to ride this year if I did all that work. I hope you were joking .

Back