• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brother of TWTer in hospital

WoodButcher

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
Pulled this off facebook, with Robert's permission of course. Robert is on here at utlonghorn343434. His brother was in an accident Monday night and this is what Robert posted late yesterday:

Looked like Chris was headed home from Starbucks around 10pm last night (studying for GRE)... hit a car that pulled out, broken arms, severe head trauma (would be dead without helmet)... in a coma now.

He would like prayers for Chris and the family. He also has the following request:

Rusty - can you ask around on the TWTex forums for a lawyer or two that specializes in motorcycle collisions?

And another update from today:
As an update, the neurointensivist is more optimistic today. Language comprehension center should be OK, speech center less so, severe motor impairment on the right side. Still in a coma.

Still don't know full details of what happened; visiting Prue SAPD police substation tomorrow to intercept the reporting officer before he goes on duty.

If anyone wants to visit Chris, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Chris is down in San Antonio and I believe Robert is still down there. Here is the hospital info: University Hospital, 4502 Medical Dr., San Antonio, TX

[edited to add a link for anyone that would like to donate to help with medical bills - http://www.chrisgiles.org/blog/donate/]

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw man I hate to hear news like this. He will be in my prayers for sure. Sorry I can't help with the lawyer thing but hopefully someone will chime in.

Chris is a good dude... hopefully he'll come out of the coma soon. It's worth noting that Robert's influence is the reason Chris started wearing a helmet. Definitely saved his life

They say a traumatic brain injury occurs every 6 min. My heart goes out to Chris and the family. I will add him to the list of prayer requests.

Update from Facebook:

Update on Chris - intracranial pressure was stable enough to have a tracheostomy performed this morning (dunno when it'll be stable/low enough to set his broken wrists in an operating room). Still not sure when we'll hear about the latest 24-hour EEG.

We're all pulling for Chris, he's a great guy. His accident is really making me think about this whole riding thing. I found out on Tuesday just as I was loading up to go to Arkansas for 5 days of riding. Certainly makes one consider the possibilities.

Keep the prayers coming, guys - Chris is still in the ICU, and it's going to be a long road ahead when he gets out due to the neuro injuries sustained.

"Failure to yield row" on the girl who turned in front of him, a block away from his house coming home from a Starbucks where he was studying for the GRE and doing some coding. He texted me asking for a Starbucks wireless access code at 20:40, shut down his computer at 21:38, accident at 21:49, officer on the scene at ~ 22:00, admitted to the ER at 22:24.

I don't know what else to say... he's my brother and my best friend.

IMG_5361.jpg

Keep the prayers coming, guys - Chris is still in the ICU, and it's going to be a long road ahead when he gets out due to the neuro injuries sustained.

"Failure to yield row" on the girl who turned in front of him, a block away from his house coming home from a Starbucks where he was studying for the GRE and doing some coding. He texted me asking for a Starbucks wireless access code at 20:40, shut down his computer at 21:38, accident at 21:49, officer on the scene at ~ 22:00, admitted to the ER at 22:24.

I don't know what else to say... he's my brother and my best friend.

View attachment 14598

Hang in there and keep us informed. We're praying for all of you.

Prayers for healing, strength, endurance, courage and mercy for Chris, you and your family.

Suffered a similar fate in Jan, but only a mild concussion in the neuro area. Get my elbow plate & screws removed next week.

Robert put the following brief update on FB this morning.

Robert Ortho guys are repairing / setting Chris's wrists this morning, ~ 4 hour operation.

This is good news, because it means that his intracranial pressures have stabilized such that the docs can deal with some of the other damage that has just been sitting there, waiting. He's had broken wrists for two weeks now, with nothing they could do about it. :giveup:

Last edited:
Robert, I’m praying for your family.
“For thou,
LORD,
Art good,
And ready to forgive;
And plenteous in mercy unto
All them that call upon him.”

Surgery seems to have gone off without a hitch... now to just get Chris healed and AWAKE.

Robert Ok - surgery is complete on Chris's wrists, back up to STICU.

Last edited:
Talked to Robert briefly today, I hope he's OK with me posting an update. Good news this morning, apparently every morning they flick the respirator into some sort of standby mode to see if Chris can breath for himself, and for three weeks, no luck. This morning they flicked it over and he's breathing. I'll take that as a win.

Talked to Robert briefly today, I hope he's OK with me posting an update. Good news this morning, apparently every morning they flick the respirator into some sort of standby mode to see if Chris can breath for himself, and for three weeks, no luck. This morning they flicked it over and he's breathing. I'll take that as a win.

That is actually a BIG deal. The ability to keep his blood oxygen levels up is critical to a good recovery. Also, the longer a person is on the respirator, the harder it gets to ween them off it. There is also always a chance of infection with it in place. So this is good news!

That's a win.
Quite encouraging.

IMG_5368.jpg

Thanks for the continued prayers, guys. Chris is finally out of the STICU, down to an intermediate unit now, and hopefully on to a sub-acute neuro place in Austin on Monday if all goes according to plan.

Long road ahead.

How old is he? Looks like early 20 something in the pics.

Wow all the moving around seemed sudden. I hope the place you found him in Austin works out, that would be huge.

I've been keeping folks up to date on Facebook, but that just ain't working out (and looking at my posting count, I don't post much on TWT, either, ack).

I went ahead and setup a blog (and an e-mail list) for status updates on my brother here:

http://www.chrisgiles.org/

Hey guys -

A bunch of us moto riders in Austin went down and visited Chris last weekend. It was very good to see everybody there and I think the Giles family appreciated the show of support. They (Robert and his Mom and Dad) are on the clock 24-7-365 and I think it gets pretty darned lonely for them... darned lonely.

Chris is still in very tough shape but seems to be making baby steps. He's fighting every day for the ability to do the most simple things. That said, his insurance situation is changing and things could get very rough (worse) for the family.

I am NOT in the habit of soliciting donations, especially in this economy. But these guys are my friends and it kills me to see them in this situation. If you have a chance and have the means, please consider dropping by http://www.chrisgiles.org/blog/donate/ and leaving a buck or two. I sincerely hope I'm not violating any forum rules by posting this site.

If you aren't inclined to donate I know the Giles family appreciates the prayers and would love a visit.

Justin Smith

Back