• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brown stuff in Brake Fluid resevoirs

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
I've helped a couple friends service bikes recently and am seeing a brown sediment that I can clean out of the resevoir, but which is obviously inside the lines somewhat by now as well. In one case black chunks coming out the other end as I pump and purge the system with fresh fluid. I'm not used to seeing bikes that have not been maintained sufficiently. Hopefully it is recoverable. In one case it was so bad on a Vstrom 650 that I'm recommending changing out lines as well. Ya'll ever encounter this? Any repercussions noted after fluid changing ?

It is common in brake systems that have not had the fluid changed in a long time. I believe it is actually water that has condensed and been absorbed by the brake fluid (brake fluid is hydroscopic). I have just thoroughly flushed the brake system and never had an issue, but when I see that issue I sometimes change the rubber seals in the master cylinder to be absolutely sure there are no issues with the brakes. Sometimes the water causes the walls of the master cylinder to oxidize or become pitted, so the seals don’t work as well, that’s why I change the seals, new ones are softer and seal better..

Back