• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Buy this bike

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Get this free, lol

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1671112781864.jpg
    FB_IMG_1671112781864.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 119
  • FB_IMG_1671112755729.jpg
    FB_IMG_1671112755729.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 119
My 20001 KTM 520, which I still have, has electric start. It still works perfect to this day, if I ever got it out of mothballs to try. I have never had another kickstart bike since, and since 2010 when I got my Husaberg, none of my bikes even had a back up kick starter. Back when I still cared about where I finished in a race, the E start saved me many many times. I would have the bike lit back up and never even stopped rolling. One stall could cost Roc the entire championship. Man if he stalls it during a main when he is leading the internet finger pointers are going to have a field day.

It is funny though. Since he made his choice all of a sudden Zooks are cool again. Everyone is talking about them. That is the power of social media when you have a massive following like he does.

I like the Suzuki, but can't kick a 450, especially when it stalls and is hot, lol.

I like the Suzuki, but can't kick a 450, especially when it stalls and is hot, lol.
Absolutely. We used to ride some dual sport stuff with a guy that had a Honda XR650 and he would always brag about how he did not need e start. When that thing was hot, it could be almost impossible to start. One time we stopped for a rest, then took off and we realized he was not with us after about 10 minutes. He was on the side of the road still kicking that thing. Had his helmet off, his jacket off, red in the face. Lol.

I kick mine over occasionally just to see if I can still do it . did have to kick start it a couple years ago , it had been setting most of the winter so I charged the battery , rode it to the inspection station and delt with that and it was to weak to start when I got ready to head home , one kick is all it took .

I haven't been following MX bikes for a while now and honestly thought they had all moved to e-start years ago. When y'all started talking about kick only on the Suzuki, I thought you guys were talking about him riding some older model bike, not this year's crop.

I'm not sure how a maker can really make one these days without one and sell any bikes, but I guess Suzuki can still pull it off. I know I wouldn't buy it, and I can still certainly kick start one, but just knowing there is better and easier tech out there would keep me off of it.

It's like the 2 stroke/ 4 stroke debate, some die hards love the kicker. With so many soft young people, it must be to appeal to the older crowd, or am I missing something?

You still have a hand crank on your car? E-start has been on bikes a long time, I don't see the problem. And now the weight is the same or less depending on brand. In off road racing with dead engine starts it's a plus, at least on 4t's. Hot 4T, still no problem. Get caught in an awkward spot off-road and it's a blessing. Boots slick with mud, no slipping off the kicker. Tired at end of day, still no problem! lol

It's like the 2 stroke/ 4 stroke debate, some die hards love the kicker. With so many soft young people, it must be to appeal to the older crowd, or am I missing something?
I'll admit, I'm still kind of a diehard when it comes to having a kick backup. Not that I have ever used it yet on my KTM, but I do love the fact that my bike has both on it. I've been caught with a weak battery before on my WR450 and I was sure glad I had a kick on it.

Back