• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Clear Lake DS ride log

Several of us were going to go up to Arkansas and take part in Scotty's Arkansas 500 ride this weekend, but the weather looked too bad to try. They had a freak cold front come through, and forecast showed 100% chance of freezing rain, so we decided last minute to do the 'ol ET450. Turned out to be perfect timing, as it had rained up there a couple days before, and the roads were just wet enough for great traction. Well, the dirt ones were anyway. The hard packed, white gravel ones... not so much:

https://youtu.be/_44tx0-h3gE
Ouch man!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Wow, where have you been, Pieper? Missing some good rides, man.

Group shot from ride:
et450_040518_zpspent1gel.jpg

Day one started out with just some beautiful East Texas scenery, and the riding was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
More great scenery, but then it started to get a bit more rutted. Anyone notice that sign at the end?:

Was that where we went down to the dead end and you were talking to the guy who said GPS directs everyone down there showing it goes through?

Was that where we went down to the dead end and you were talking to the guy who said GPS directs everyone down there showing it goes through?

No, that one didn't give us any warning at all. My routes (based on the 2014 ones) showed going that way, but obviously they aren't "public" anymore. Happens a lot out there.

Once we passed the "Road Closed" sign, we found out why:

Really wasn't so bad at all, but could see it being tough for most cagers.

Love riding with these guys; great bunch for sure:

The problem we run into sometimes, is what used to be public roads suddenly become private :doh:

In this case, we didn't come to a locked gate UNTIL we were exiting the area. Yeeshh!

Of course, it wouldn't be dual sport without the "dual" part. Sure were some scenic roads out there, even if it was overcast:

Our first day turned out great with just a bit of a chill starting out, but then warmed up just enough to be about perfect for riding. It even cleared up at times, yet the roads were all just damp enough for just about perfect traction, and no deep sand. We set a nice brisk pace, and made it to Colmesneil for gas, then lunch at the Texas Star Café. Being it was a Thursday probably helped too, as there was very little traffic on the roads. We didn't rush lunch, yet left out and made it to our first night's stop at the Holly Park Marina in Toledo Bend by a bit after 4PM. After checking in, and relaxing for just a bit, we headed over the Louisiana boarder to the Fisherman's Galley for (the usual) great buffet. Riding home down dirt roads in the dark is always fun, but we somehow made it, and enjoyed a peaceful night's sleep. Great first day!

The problem we run into sometimes, is what used to be public roads suddenly become private :doh:

2018ET450day1.5 - YouTube

In this case, we didn't come to a locked gate UNTIL we were exiting the area. Yeeshh!

Just before that is where the guy stopped Joe, Jeff, and myself telling us that was all hunting lease property now. If we weren't contractors for the logging company working it or members of the lease, we were trespassing. He said if the game warden caught us out there, he would write us tickets. He said we would have to go around a locked gate at the end and we should have seen a sign at the beginning. I wasn't really looking, but never saw any obvious sign at any point stating it was posted.

Lol, ticket for what? You guys were roosting dirt out of season or you didn't have your 2018 dirt roosting permits ?

_

Yeah, that kinda sounded like a bit of a stretch to me too. Don't know for sure if it's possible, but never heard of a game warden ticking someone for trespassing. :wary:

Possibly do Arkansas in a couple weekends from now, the 20-22nd. We'd have to drive up on the 21st.

Putting out a feeler here. Due to bad weather and high water, we had to miss the AR500 ride last weekend, but my schedule would allow me to do it on the weekend of 20th-22nd, with a travel day up on Thu, 19th. Since it would just be us Texas boys, we could start at a southernmost point, and thus cut off a couple hours drive each way (8.5 vs 10.5). Weather looks like its gonna be awesome, and waters should be down. Anyone interested?

I'm going to have to miss out on this. Does seem like it would be a fun time.

Yeah, that kinda sounded like a bit of a stretch to me too. Don't know for sure if it's possible, but never heard of a game warden ticking someone for trespassing. :wary:

Game wardens have the most power than any local police. They can pretty much do anything including taking your bike for trespassing if they wanted. Need to watch some of those game warden shows on cable. Y'all should know better when there is a locked gate you don't go around it...lol A good way to get shot especially in east Texas. They have their own rules up in the woods. Done enough of that 4-wheeling back in the day not fun running from a land owner..lol They don't follow GPS.

Well, actually, we came up to the locked gate EXITING the alleged private road :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, the road we rode in on didn't have any visible signage or markings to indicate it was a posted area and, as Rob said, the gate was at the end of the road.

Back