• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW - Trophy Club Park

virtualrc

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
I recently saw @tex68w post a comment about off-road riding in the DFW area where Trophy Club Park was mentioned. As an ADV Noob down the road in NRH I was wondering if other members have experience riding there. Would this be a good place to practice some basic off-road trail riding on a big bike? I see mentions on their site of 2 MX tracks but from the Google maps satellite view I see plenty of trails cut that might be fun to ride around the park. Any shared first-hand experience would be appreciated.

I haven't been out there in years so I have no idea what the trails look like today, but they were always pretty modest. I'd call and ask if there's a limit to the type of motorcycle allowed out there and if the trails are even still in use.

Last edited:
It's a nice little dirt bike set of trails. Plenty of places to practice riding in sandy situations. It can get crowded on the weekend when the weather is nice so be prepared for close passes by the faster folks. It's very susceptible to closures from the rain when lake Grapevine rises so keep an eye on their facebook page as they'll update the status as it changes. However, if you are close, it's a good little riding area. Also has a good beginner section separate from the main trails for kids to learn to ride on so long as the idiots stay off of it.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a call into the park to get their take on bigger bikes out there, e.g., GS, Africa Twin, Tiger 1050. I'll report back if they get back to me.

A big bike is going to be a handful. It's mostly atv width there with a lot of sand and twists and turns. It'll be good for skills but it's really designed for smaller bikes. The good news is dropping it in the sand is mostly harmless to the bike, but yer gonna drop it and picking it up will be a pain. You could get lucky though and get some hero sand. :D

Haven't been to SH before, but my understanding is that it's HUGE compared to Trophy Club.

Huge in terms of milage, maybe 12" wider but not drastically different IMHO. Again, I haven't been out to TC in years.

Trophy Club is $25-30/day(Non residents) plus a TX OHV sticker($20). If I were you, I'd just head up to St Joe/Muenster/Forrestburg area and hit some dirt roads. Infinitely less traffic, and FREE.

Last edited:
I've been out there a dozen or so times this year alone. It is small but pretty nice for where it is. When the entire loop is open it is just under 5 miles and gives you everything hard pack, hard pack with a little sand and gravel on top, ego dirt, deep sand, and whoops of various flavors. The MX track is not great but scratches the itch if you must. Overall it is a decent place to go ride and practice.

As for big bikes, they are going to be a handful in the sand. BUT... a few times back when we were out there a dude pulled up on an Africa Twin with stock rubber and paper plates on it and was flying. That guy could ride! So for most of us would a big bike be a handful, yes. It is completely doable, yes.

If you plan on going out there more often, then they do a punch card thing that you preload with 10 visits for $175. That brings it down to $17.50 every time out which isn't too bad.

Wow, seems like last time we were out there it was $15 per bike which I thought was steep.

Wow, seems like last time we were out there it was $15 per bike which I thought was steep.
Itā€™s all perspective though, right? I can go to Red River and pay $20 to get in and also $100 in fuel to get up there, and it is a FULL day. I do that quite often, but it is something you really have to carve out the entire day and usually the evening before to get everything ready.

With Trophy Club, I make sure the bike has a full tank, throw it on the hitch carrier or trailer, toss the tool box and gear box in the truck, and Iā€™m out there in 30 minutes. Ride 4-5 laps and get in 25 miles of trails, load up, and Iā€™m home before noon. $17.50 and $10 if fuel for the truck.

So is either one better, not at all. But I do love Trophy Club for how close it is.

Trophy club was perfect for sand practice on the expanded GP loop for the 790. Good mix of deep sand, and hardpack. As Bill mentioned, if you're short on time, TC is hard to beat. If you have the whole day then head on to Twin Hills, Red River, Lake Murray, or Cross Bar.

Back