• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Day Trippin' for a Bite to Eat - Lower Guadalupe River and Surrounding Counties

WhiskeySmith

Uff Da
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
I’ve been reviewing the “Where Two Wheeled Texans eat while on the road” map, which I found in this thread. I’m planning some day rides in the counties listed below, but the map is a bit lacking in favorites for this area. I’m looking for recommendations for non-franchise type places to eat in the counties listed below. I have no preference on type of food, just interested in hearing about places you would go yourself.

Calhoun
Dewitt
Fayette
Goliad
Gonzales
Karnes
Lavaca
Refugio
Wilson
Victoria

map.png

Thats JMZ's stomping ground and he sure likes to eat...

Reactions: JMZ
I've been to the restaurant at the Blessing Hotel in Blessing multiple times. Always a good meal.

We were aiming for Huvar's in Victoria along the way of a road trip but they were closed the day we were passing through. Haven't ever been there to be able to give a first-hand rec but reviews looked good.

Thats JMZ's stomping ground and he sure likes to eat...
Yessir. He outta know the area pretty well. He gets to drive that fancy red work truck all around there.

I've been to the restaurant at the Blessing Hotel in Blessing multiple times. Always a good meal.

We were aiming for Huvar's in Victoria along the way of a road trip but they were closed the day we were passing through. Haven't ever been there to be able to give a first-hand rec but reviews looked good.
Thanks! I had not heard of these places and will check them out.

Check hours as some of these are only open certain days and hours

Goliad: Rudy's on the run (good variety, you will find something for everyone)
Blue Quail Deli (good soups and sandwich) located on the historic square

McMillan"s Bar-B-Q located in Fannin between Goliad and Victoria. (Folks either love it or hate it.)

Refugio: Taqueria Guadalajara (Dive Mexican Food at it's finest) @JMZ approved

Victoria: The first three are a stones trow from each other on the north side of town.
Double J Eatery (american food locally know for the Chicken Fried Steak)
Brown Bag Saloon (Best Hamburger in town according to some)
Jim's Big Burger (Best Hamburger in town according to some)

M & M Pinto Bean (Mexican food they have daily lunch specials) I prefer the location at 202 E Rio Grande
Taco Poco Loco (Mexican Food)

Fossati's Delei (Soups Sandwiches and other typical items) Located downtown and is a historical location if you want to visit historical markers.

Not in your requested counties, but close: Kirby's Korner in Seguin for an awesome burger. I've also been meaning to try TK's Pizza and Burgers in Karnes City, the place always seems pretty popular when I pass by.

Enchiladita in Nixon. Leesville cafe in Leesville for burgers. And a 2nd thumbs up for taqueria Guadalajara in Refugio.

Check hours as some of these are only open certain days and hours

Goliad: Rudy's on the run (good variety, you will find something for everyone)
Blue Quail Deli (good soups and sandwich) located on the historic square

McMillan"s Bar-B-Q located in Fannin between Goliad and Victoria. (Folks either love it or hate it.)

Refugio: Taqueria Guadalajara (Dive Mexican Food at it's finest) @JMZ approved

Victoria: The first three are a stones trow from each other on the north side of town.
Double J Eatery (american food locally know for the Chicken Fried Steak)
Brown Bag Saloon (Best Hamburger in town according to some)
Jim's Big Burger (Best Hamburger in town according to some)

M & M Pinto Bean (Mexican food they have daily lunch specials) I prefer the location at 202 E Rio Grande
Taco Poco Loco (Mexican Food)

Fossati's Delei (Soups Sandwiches and other typical items) Located downtown and is a historical location if you want to visit historical markers.
Hey, now that is some great information. I ate across the street from Taqueria Guadalajara at La Ribera Taqueria a few weeks ago and like it. Looking forward to next time in Refugio and checking out your suggestion.

Not in your requested counties, but close: Kirby's Korner in Seguin for an awesome burger. I've also been meaning to try TK's Pizza and Burgers in Karnes City, the place always seems pretty popular when I pass by.
Yep, Kirby's was mom's favorite.

Enchiladita in Nixon. Leesville cafe in Leesville for burgers. And a 2nd thumbs up for taqueria Guadalajara in Refugio.
Looking forward to trying out all three of these. Thanks!

Back