• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Daytona

Dang, too late to the party.

Sold all my RDs, gave my LAST one to my oldest son.

Sold ALL my spare A65 stuff just 2 weeks ago.

My H1 500 triple just sold on e-bay last week.

I can't keep up any more, I'm whittleing my collection down to mainly 50s & 60s Triumph big twins.

I agree we need a two-stroke tread. Street only or to include dual-sport/full dirt bikes? Hurry Meriden that RD is rare bird. Looking forward to seeing/hearing it in person. Drew

Equal opportunity thread, although street smoker may need more voice than the dual sports.

Dang, too late to the party.

Sold all my RDs, gave my LAST one to my oldest son.

Sold ALL my spare A65 stuff just 2 weeks ago.

My H1 500 triple just sold on e-bay last week.

I can't keep up any more, I'm whittleing my collection down to mainly 50s & 60s Triumph big twins.

The MachIII e-bay ad held my attention for a long time. Seems I've passed up too many rare bikes because I had other unfinished projects. (I passed up 2Vincents basket cases because of a 66 GTO. D'oh!) That was a nice collection you had, but nothing wrong with concentrating on single mark.

m

Equal opportunity thread, although street smoker may need more voice than the dual sports.

The MachIII e-bay ad held my attention for a long time. Seems I've passed up too many rare bikes because I had other unfinished projects. (I passed up 2Vincents basket cases because of a 66 GTO. D'oh!) That was a nice collection you had, but nothing wrong with concentrating on single mark.

m

Meriden are you gonna start one or am I. Love those old 2-strokes. Drew

Any updates? Have you had time to tinker on it any? Love to see it when your done. Drew

I'm slowly but surely stripping the bike and putting it into boxes for the restoration. That's step one in determining what parts are functional and what I'll need to replace. In the meantime I've done considerable work on my daily rider, an R1100RT and my '71 Tiger. The Daytona is still in the works. Thanks for asking.

I'm slowly but surely stripping the bike and putting it into boxes for the restoration. That's step one in determining what parts are functional and what I'll need to replace. In the meantime I've done considerable work on my daily rider, an R1100RT and my '71 Tiger. The Daytona is still in the works. Thanks for asking.

Always wanted one of those RDs,last of the 400 series very collectible. Are you planning on keeping it close to original? Drew

Sorry Guys - This thread had slipped my mind. The Kawi is a mongrel road-race bike that I came across that has the VIN of an S2 350, but is actually an S3 400, with adapters & H2 carburetors. I'm never sure what part is what! I got into it and found it had been ported to the max. :roll: It looks like it was wide open throttle or nothing for that guy! The engine had seen very little run time in that configuration, so I'm guessing he rode it once and was scared off :eek2: - careful what you ask for, right. That matches what little of the bikes history I was able to track down. Anyway, I have some stock cylinders that I will be sending out to get bored for the good set of 1 over pistons have the tranny gone through - I think I am going to send that out to Paul Gast.

As for the RZ, got it running over the Labor Day weekend :bigokay: Unfortunately, I forgot to turn off the petcock, so by the next weekend when I finally got back to the garage, there was pre-mix all over the lift I had the bike up on. :doh: So, next time I get the chance to wrench any, I'll have to check if it leaked into the cylinders/crankcase and make sure I don't hydralock it. That would really suck!

Phil

Always wanted one of those RDs,last of the 400 series very collectible. Are you planning on keeping it close to original? Drew

The plan is to go back with period mods, in other words only doing what an owner in 1980 might have done to the bike. The pipes are trash so those will be replaced by expansion chambers. I don't want to strip too much off my RD400 parts bike if I can help it so I'm keeping the clubman bars that are on the Daytona now.

m

Updates? The bike you have is one of the neatest Yamahas ever made. Can't wait to see the final results.

I've started disassembling the bike and collecting the parts I need for the restoration. Not to long ago I was in the barn where I found it getting parts for the Indian and ran across the missing side cover plus a cardboard carton with a disassembled RD400 motor inside. Great luck! As for this bike, the compression is good, everything turns freely so starting it is in order before doing any work on the motor.

The last few months were spent preparing for the LAB2LV ride with Rman and ThrasherG and now I've disassembled the Challenege for some well deserved routine maintenance. My neighbor and I had planned on getting the Indian running and starting the Daytona this month, but the Indian may take another few weeks. Hopefully I'll be blowing smoke by the spring.

We'll need a dedicated thread for two stroke street bikes pretty soon.

m
Speed & Sport, PA bought all the RD parts for the US years ago.
They may have something sitting on the shelf still.
Cindy
866-455-6831

Back