• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Desert Sledin Dummies Vtwinin Arizona

We hopped back on the BDR as we made a run for the border. This is kind of a tweener zone. You are riding between ranches and national forest stuff…..and riding between Arizona and Mexico. Came up through a little pass and looked down on Mexico, probably about 10 miles out from this view point.

1709212143427.png

I’ve always liked this tweener zone from an ecological standpoint….desert mountain scrub? It was easy going and we had the afterburners lit….for a few miles.

1709212165653.png

1709212182781.png

1709212202474.png

But then we got off of the wide gravel road and got on some two track to sniff out some bonus terrain. I had eye balled some off the beaten path stuff. We tip toed in….for about 16 miles of two track. Nice!!!

1709212223791.png

I camped one time right in this zone, I would say it was 1994. I had made friends with an older guy that I stumbled into previously on the trail somewhere in AZ. He was older, like the age I am now. He rode an old beater double-shock Yamaha air cooled 2 stroke 250. Makes me snicker thinking about me at my age now riding that piece of crap through here. But ol Mike was getting it done without complaint, he was smiling, it was what he could afford and I respected that. My normal riding buddies didn’t understand how I could adopt someone like him into our circle, but I like all kinds and he was interesting to say the least. He had picked up cooking in the ground when he lived in Hawaii and on that camp out we had a feast on mostly roasted vegetables. Not my norm, especially 20 year old me, but it really was a special experience and I actually liked some of the food. I think he had 3 buried fires going at once and I remember him kind of yelling at me while I was drinking beer to stay on top of the timer for my designated buried food. Me, distracted, at a moto camp drinking beer in the evening…..inconceivable.

1709212243420.png

1709212269464.png

That stuff/memories are all off my right shoulder as we made our way to the pass in the distance. Off my left shoulder is mostly dead end trails that gain elevation into the Huachuca Mountains, good hard enduro riding and some good caving. And there was one trail that actually went through into the Army Post. I think it was called Gate 9, a gap gate across a cattle guard with a pretty rough/rutted trail. I used that route often, it wasn’t really a short cut at all….but it felt cool to go that way, kind of a sneaker route and avoided the world. Even back then I liked the adventure of it and doing something most didn’t know about. I’ve often wondered what became of it after 9/11. I found an article on line that on the army post side, upper Garden Canyon Rd is now closed due to erosion in that area. Only firefighters are allowed to use it once you get so far up in there. Now I know. Makes me a little sad….even though I had no plans of going that way. Back to the ride….we headed for the border fence to parallel it for a bit. We might have been exceeding the speed limit, hypothetically.

1709212301705.png

1709212335686.png

1709212352030.png

1709212369578.png

1709212398206.png

1709212418574.png

Another thing came to mind…..I was curious about an old ghost town I remembered, Sonnyside. Thought we would poke up in that zone and see if there were any buildings left standing from when I was there 30 years ago. There wasn’t any internet back then, so I also decided to google it and see what the deal was. I remembered it having a funky Manson feeling to it back in the day. We went past “private” signs and sniffed around, cautiously.

1709212441290.png

1709212460519.png

Here is the gist. Samuel Donnelly had found religion but folks in California didn’t like his religious ideals, the elders of the typical churches weren’t having him and he couldn’t find a pulpit to spread “his” version of the word. In 1886 he went to Tombstone and tried to preach his salvation to that bunch, they weren’t having it either, the town riff raff or the town church folks. He was also getting into mining and ended up settling here at Sunnyside in the Huachuca Mountains and had a few converts follow him, like 20 to 30, and formed this “colony”. All the money was pooled and each person worked to the betterment of the entire camp. There were rumors of the typical kind involving a commune like this, the law got involved etc. In the end, nothing could be proven, the case against him was dropped in Cochise County in 1898. In 1901 Sam fell ill from Bright’s disease and died. By 1903 everyone had left for the most part. The google article I read about visiting the site present day said “We probably wouldn’t recommend the trip. Signs are almost non-existent, there are numerous opportunities to get lost, the road was terrible, and the area is rife with illegals and drug traffickers.” Cool story bro. The Super Enduro Strike Team didn’t have any trouble. But I was only able to find a couple buildings. Either I couldn’t find the others or the “private” property folks tore them down? Either way, we rolled out, rapidly. Hair was standing up a bit.

1709212478032.png

1709212497335.png

1709212519205.png

Alright, back to your regularly scheduled broadcast…..typical stuff the BDR traveler encounters as we got back on that track and were working our way up to Montezuma Pass.

1709212543073.png

From the pass looking towards the way we just came from:

1709212561955.png

And towards Mexico:

1709212579167.png

I dug up an old pic taken at the same exact spot….30 years ago. My good ol DR350 and an Army buddy’s XR250L that I talked him into buying. I loved that DR, it was like a rock star compared to the other plated bikes of the day.

1709212600290.png

I remember reading an article about the mountains when I lived in this area about how they grow 1” per year in this zone. I’m not so sure, look the same to me :-). I googled it. The Himalayas continue to grow due to the Indian subcontinent plate going subduction under the Asian continental plate. I read the Himalayas grow .2” and as much as 2” in a year. They are also the youngest mountain range on earth. As for the Rockies and mountains in this zone, seems they are much older aren’t really pushing up much anymore. I read Colorado politicians have stunted growth in the area. Couple more pics looking west:

1709212621927.png

1709212640642.png

What’s up with all these names, Coronado, Montezuma? Coronado’s Expedition came through here in 1540 to find the Seven Cities of Gold. Ok, that’s legit I guess. The Montezuma name…..it is a misnomer. In the 1800s when whitey started settling the area and encountered cliff dwellings, they used the name of the Aztec ruler whose empire stretched across southern Mexico, 1300 miles away. The name stuck and got used other places like this pass. These next pics are looking towards the way we are headed, east, and the San Pedro River Valley. I believe it is the only river that flows out of Mexico into the US. It is kind of turd of a river, but water is life out here.

1709212658998.png

1709212678574.png

We switchbacked our way out of there and I snagged a pic of Bwdmax from a vantage point I thought was cool. You can see the border fence in the background as well, down on the valley floor.

1709212700380.png

I was still thinking about Bright’s disease, what the heck is that? Here you go…..inflammatory disease of the kidneys now known as acute glomerular nephritis. Oh ok, that’s right, now I understand. Or maybe I still have no idea. Try again. Basically it is when your kidney’s quit filtering properly, think dialysis. How do you know you have it….reduced urinary frequency, new high blood pressure, coughing caused by fluid in the lungs, blood in urine, facial swelling, lethargy. Got it. I mean I don’t got it, but I get it. Not a good plan in the 1800s in the middle of nowhere. I feel like we need a picture to go with this paragraph, I got nothing. So Bwdmax produced a pic of himself looking bright. I think this really helps.

1709212719979.png

We just Chevy Chased the town of Bisbee. If you haven’t been there, it is interesting. My old Army buddy (XR250L guy) dated a gal from there so I spent the night on her couch many times and soaked in the Bisbee scene. Back then it was really hippie. Now it seems more artsy fartsy, more money, you can tell they are really trying to capitalize on it. If you go there and need accommodations or motorcycle related assistance, you might look up Sterling Noren. He has a decent youtube following and opened a hotel there, The Jonquil, and hosts rallies every so often. Seems on the level. We just did a touch and go, stopped at the mine, then blew out of there.

1709212736312.png

1709212758748.png

1709212786883.png

This next section….we went east out of Bisbee a couple miles and sniffed out some more dirt. I thought it was just going to be a county dirt road….and it was for a bit. Then went to unmaintained two track. I wish we had gopro footage or drone. I didn’t know what was going to happen….but we ended up unleashing the Super Enduros in here. Holding our lanes, riding side by side, jumping, sliding, wheelies, general awesomness. It was unexpected and I kept figuring it wouldn’t last. But we probably went like that for 10 miles of non-stop/pay attention attack mode. We didn’t have our comms on, we were just jamming at a decent clip trying to survive the ditches, washouts, humps, sediment, cactus. We finally came out of the bush and could ride one handed and I comm’d us in so I could comment about how awesome that was and how great the bikes performed…..and as soon as I heard the beep of being connected, Gary was laughing and ecstatic about what we just experienced and was practically yelling at me with excitement. We were all smiles and basking in the glow of a dirt biker shared experience and the camaraderie that goes with it. Cloud 9 stuff. This is the only pic I have of that zone right before we released the krakens.

1709212805845.png

We ate a little slab and then found some more dirt and headed for that same old XR250L Army buddy’s house out in the barren desert where he settled down years ago. Basically the middle of nowhere….and then go a few more miles. He was from Oklahoma, can’t take the country out of them boys.

1709212834791.png

Touchdown. What happens when you haven’t seen an old Army buddy in 20 years…..apparently they turn into ZZ Top looking people. Dadgum. Pretty sure he couldn’t pass AR670-1 anymore….hair not supposed to touch your ears (I guess he has that covered) but your mustache can’t extend past the ends of your mouth. He’s way out there….like pluto. His wife has her own orbit as well. Classic desert dwellers. They are really good people and took really good care of us, solid I say. Tbones from one of their steer and all the fixings for supper. Had ice cold beer for me waiting. Stuff was getting deep reliving the glory days. I was worried about it leaving a mark. Day 2 in the books, one more to go for this ride.

1709212858003.png

1709212876675.png

Last edited:
This next section….we went east out of Bisbee a couple miles and sniffed out some more dirt. I thought it was just going to be a county dirt road….and it was for a bit. Then went to unmaintained two track. I wish we had gopro footage or drone. I didn’t know what was going to happen….but we ended up unleashing the Super Enduros in here. Holding our lanes, riding side by side, jumping, sliding, wheelies, general awesomness. It was unexpected and I kept figuring it wouldn’t last. But we probably went like that for 10 miles of non-stop/pay attention attack mode. We didn’t have our comms on, we were just jamming at a decent clip trying to survive the ditches, washouts, humps, sediment, cactus. We finally came out of the bush and could ride one handed and I comm’d us in so I could comment about how awesome that was and how great the bikes performed…..and as soon as I heard the beep of being connected, Gary was laughing and ecstatic about what we just experienced and was practically yelling at me with excitement. We were all smiles and basking in the glow of a dirt biker shared experience and the camaraderie that goes with it. Cloud 9 stuff. This is the only pic I have of that zone right before we released the krakens.

That section was a blast and totally unexpected. The gravel was flying and the tires were crying!:flip::biggun::jammin: I won't soon forget that little section of this trip.:party:

Steve's army buddy and wife were outstanding host. Something special about long time friends.

We got up at a decent time and Mrs. ZZtop made an awesome breakfast spread for us. We sucked it all down, reluctantly saddled up and spurred our beasts back into the desert. This is the view from their gate as we rolled out.

1709299032940.png

Little morning cruise into Tombstone. We gave it a looksee.

1709299054319.png

1709299073624.png

We went by the OK Corral and put our helmets on just in case. We are not your huckleberry.

1709299096748.png

I use to ride through here in the 90s on my DR350 with a single action revolver on display on my hip, complete with leather strap around my thigh. Now that’s cool. Or at least I thought it was. Arizona was open carry. Not sure these days. I’m more stealth cool these days anyhow. Meaning nobody can tell I’m cool. Wait a minute, that didn’t come out right!

1709299119507.png

We left the tourist trap that was still kind of sleeping. I was on a mission and almost riding by brail to head to my favorite riding/camping grounds from back in the day, Cochise’s Stronghold. This area was one of their hangouts in the Dragoon Mountains and contributed to them being able to elude the soldiers for like 10 years. Really strange formations….and good hiding places. It’s coming into view.

1709299139397.png

The below are pics of “my” general hang out/camping area. I bet this has been people’s camping spot for hundreds of years. To include Ol Cochise and Geronimo. Pretty cool. Except there were about 60 campers/camps as we rode through. I rarely saw a single camper out here 30 years ago. Internet. Apps. Social Media. Progress? #kiss my grits

1709299160264.png

1709299181029.png

On one of our epic weekends out here back in the day, I accidentally ran over a rattle snake with my bike….twice. We didn’t have much to eat at that point, so we did the normal thing….ZZTop skinned it and I grilled it up. I remember using motorcycle pliers from my bike kit to pinch Keystone Light cans together to make a cooking grill, we ate that dude on the spot. Pics or it didn’t happen? Here you go…..me and ol ZZ along with our upcoming meal. Awwww, I just noticed my backup bike at the time sneaking into the pic in the background….1978 XL250S. Miss you brother!! And look at ZZtop’s side burns….he was already dreaming about a pony tail for his face way back then.

1709298948139.png

We needed to move on, to cover some ground and get back towards the truck in New Mexico. But we decided to deviate for another section that I felt was worth it. The next couple pics were on the way “up”. Good track, we loving it!!

1709299209263.png

1709299229683.png

1709299247661.png

1709299269708.png

Cool little gap and kind of like a gateway to another world, up from the desert floor about a 1000 feet.

1709299288219.png

We called this China Camp. It was kind of a defunct campground back in the day when I came here. I rarely saw people camping up there, like usually zero. Little bit rough of a 4wd route to get here. And there was no internet back then, you kind of had to know about it. I was happy when we got up there on this trip, no campers. I googled it for this report to have something more official to share. There were lots of places called “China Camp” back then, especially in California. The official name of this place is Gordon’s Camp….but “locals call it China Camp”. In 1913 San Juan mine was kicked into gear up here on the slopes of China Peak. The peak got its name from Chinese laborers that were brought in to build the road we just traveled. That would have been a hum dinger, but I suppose not dissimilar to blasting and clearing tunnels for trains. This is such a neat little basin and quite a bit cooler in the summer as I recall, compared to the desert floor. I bet the Indians hung here as well. It has a hole in the wall gang feel.

1709299305345.png

We rode the bikes to the base of the mine/tailings. Back in the day, just one or two of us would ride our bikes up the switchbacks to heman it closer to the main mine entrance and enjoy the cool temps inside. We elected not to ride up it today. Bothered me a little but I remember 20 year old me working it on my DR to pull it off. There ain’t no trophies if we make it today. Better play it safe and hike up. But Gary and I still discussed it as we hiked up it and said we could do it on the Super Enduros, if we had to :-).

1709299323285.png

1709299357882.png

1709299377811.png

Couple pics as we headed into the mine/cave. Under that wood plank was a decent drop. Gary made me test it first, something about IQ he said. And he knew if it could hold the weight of my melon, all would be well. I was scared. Like somehow my fingertips were going to hold on if it went south.

1709299397316.png

1709299414859.png

Walked the plank and made it. Tried to get some good pics inside, did the best we could. It was kind of fun to poke around……but, we not here for this.

1709299430362.png

1709299448621.png

1709299467531.png

We here for this…..we rolled out and headed back out of the hole in the wall basin, down the mountain and got back on the main canyon road and continued to roll east. Not a bad morning?

1709299486739.png

1709299506272.png

1709299527763.png

1709299545020.png

1709299569161.png

That pic of young ZZTop...who's the child he's with on the right? :D

They are both extremely shady characters. Try to avoid them, safety first. Especially the child-like one. He will probably never change his ways.

1709303212148.png

Last edited:
We had another destination for that day to check out. Crossed a state highway and took some paved backroads in the low lands to get over to the next topographical rise of interest, the Chiricahuas. We sort of skirted them to the north a couple days ago. But today we were getting into the heart of it. I’ve been in here before, but I was riding an ’86 IROC, not a desert sled. Both cool experiences as the road in/out is very scenic.

1709558041338.png

1709558056573.png

1709558076098.png

After meandering and riding the pavement to the top of this range, we got off the bikes and did a baby hike for an overlook of this strange area/formations.

1709558120112.png

1709558137360.png

1709558221017.png

1709558497637.png

Kind of cool that we could also see the Dragoons in the distance, where we just came from.

1709558518122.png

1709558536129.png

Checked out the view on the opposite side of the ridge, Cochise Head.

1709558573939.png

1709558588464.png

If you aren’t seeing it, here is some help, picture someone laying down and the side profile of their nugget. You’re welcome.

1709558615158.png

1709558634022.png

There is a lot more cool stuff in here but you need better shoes and more time. Or a motorcycle that sucks in the desert that makes you not want to ride offroad. Sorry Chiricahuas, we gotta go now. We may have exceeded the speed limit on the way out, hypothetically.

1709558655608.png

1709558675709.png

We are winding down this trek. Rolled out of the national monument and immediately got on more dirt. That’s the way we like it, uh huh, uh huh.

1709582663300.png

1709582687384.png

One more romp through some national forest and sweet piney canyons and little creeks.

1709582705668.png

1709582723320.png

We were gaining some pretty good elevation. I was thinking about putting on my jacket, nah.

1709582743028.png

1709582761569.png

Pretty cool to finish off the trip riding through a spot that I’ve never been through. But what’s with this white stuff?

1709582780543.png

1709582801529.png

1709582818526.png

Had a couple slip and slide moments, steady as she goes.

1709582843500.png

1709582862496.png

1709582882178.png

It really was pretty and I was really pleased with the ride through here. We were just adlibbing our way back towards the truck avoiding pavement and this turned out to be really cool.

1709582903802.png

1709582921777.png

We took a break at the below spot. I was thinking this road is a @misterk road and has lots of good primitive free camp spots like this one.
You're welcome….. 31°54'06.1"N 109°14'30.6"W

1709582938675.png

1709582967247.png

We popped out of the woods and got back in harsh desert pretty quickly. Rolling on some lonely pavement and thought we would pause in Animas New Mexico for something cold. Wrong, town was boarded up….and needs an enema. Rolled out headed north on dirt to finish out the trip.

1709582989170.png

1709583010423.png

Thirty miles of high spirited gravel travel. Super Enduros fully ignited.

1709583027248.png

1709583046962.png

And that is that. We successfully deserted to the desert for a bit……and now we have to go back to our respective units in Texas. Both of our commanders require our presence back in the real world. Dadgum it. We loaded up and shoved down the road a couple hours to make the next truck day easier.

1709583064567.png

1709583085837.png

That was a good little run, 600 solid miles of fun on the bikes. We got to see some cool country, history, cruised some, romped some, zero issues, zero drama. Just two mates crushing it on big desert sleds. Super Enduro Strike Team over and out.

1709583109661.png

So when did Gary get the big twin?

About a week before we went on the below ride......early December

So when did Gary get the big twin?
Who knew Stevo was a farmer...

Scott is also prophet...

Well that was in April so I guess it take about 8 months for the SE seed to produce fruit.

Truth is I've been on the hunt to replace the V-Strom for a while, but due to various factors have not been able to get it done. While we were in Utah back in October a nicely outfitted 950 adventure popped up on Facebook so I begin a conversation with the guy and I thought we had a deal. Then he went silent on me but the ad was still up. He finally reached back out to me the week of Thanksgiving saying he had been out of town working but had a friend that would meet me at his house with the bike. I texted back and forth with the friend, even had a conversation. I had my trailer hooked up and was about two miles from the house when he called and said he needed to cancel but he could do it the next day. I texted the guy the next morning for a time and he never has responded. Okay I'm moving on; found a nice 950 Adventure S model in DFW area on ADVRider for only slightly more money than the FB one that was shaping up to be a scam or get robbed in a back alley. I sent a PM to the guy on ADVRider and turns out he had SOLD the bike the week before. I was bummed but not defeated. Look I don't really need a bike the V-Strom is totally functional I just have the itch for more power, more ground clearance, and more suspension travel. Seems every time I go out with Stevo and his SE I come home and have to straighten my bash plate on the Strom...maybe I should just stop riding with Stevo. Not going to happen! Monday Dec. 4th I pop over to ADVRider again and search for KTM 950 as these are the bikes that seem to deliver in my budget. Well a 950 SE pops up that is in Texas but outside my budget. I quickly set to doing some moto math and accounting to justify to the wife why I should bust my budget. Don't laugh, it worked. So this bike is located in Texas but it is closer Oklahoma that it is to me. I exchange info with this cat and he is the real deal, no scam, no cut throat. I have to move my daughter that Friday to Brownwood so I'll be north but still a good way from him with an empty trailer. This guy is headed to Ranger Friday for a funeral, Ranger is only an hour from Brownwood. It's a date and now I have a 950 Super Enduro.
I know this bike is impractical, I know there are more reliable bikes, I know there are modern bikes that can match the performance. Yeah I'll buy on of those next when I'm old and wiser...

Stevo beat me to it. He is usually up and ready first anyway. This was the only time other than the above ride it has left the garage other than playing with the carbs some and test those changes close to home. I like it!

... and here I sit, chained to three monitors and a keyboard ... thanks for the ray of sunshine! Outstanding report, as usual.

I spend my fair share of time chained. I just make sure to put regular bike outings on my calendar. If you don't plan it, it won't happen.

1709589366752.png

If you don't plan it, it won't happen.
This. Being self employed, it is HARD to make the choice to take time off because I'm not making any money for the time I take off. On top of the cost of the trips, I lose income for the time off as well. In these whacky economic times, there is a sense of having to make as much money as I can, while I can, just in case... That said, I had two friends whose Dad worked like crazy to save and save for years, then he unexpectedly dropped dead, never having been able to enjoy the fruits of his labor. We only get one time through, so finding the right balance between work and play is important. My next installment is scheduled to start mid-May. I just sent out the time off notification to all my clients this past Friday. Daniel and I are heading up into the Smoky Mountains with two other riders to do some back roads. He seems to think I need to buy him a 690 Enduro before we go :roll: I wouldn't mind having one as well. But... there's only so much money to go around... However, I am going to be upgrading the suspension on my GS though. At 32K miles, the OEM suspension is a bit "worn" :eek2: Unfortunately, the guys at The BeemerShop are low on inventory and the new stuff won't get here until early to mid-April. So I don't know if I will have enough time to get it swapped out before we leave for our trip. Either way, it REALLY needs it!

Sell the GS and the 390 and buy two 500s or 690s or DRs or XRLs!!!! Matching singles for harder stuff is what Daniel really wants 😀

As far as life…my Dad was self employed and a workaholic and died at 65 without getting to do a lot of the “someday” stuff. I was 38 when he passed away and it definitely changed my approach to seizing the day. I think it is really cool you’ve been able to recognize this in your life and make adjustments to make your recent extended trips happen. And it doesn’t really matter if you are on a saggy GS or a CT125…..just ride! But matching singles would be cool 😂

1709599099822.jpeg

Thanks again for sharing! Really enjoyed your ride, comments, and pictures! Amazing scenery. Did you save your track and are you planning on sharing? Wouldn't mind checking it out sometime.
I'll see what I can do. The tracks need to be cleaned up, dead ends removed, locked gates etc.

Alright, I cleaned up some tracks to share, may not be perfect but close enough. And I made adjustments here and there, so you don't show up at my buddy's house type stuff and any iffy spots I don't want to be responsible for. The forum doesn't like when you load the entire Garmin Adventure, so I am just going to load the tracks for each day. You will be missing my waypoints/POI stuff. But this gives you the gist of the trip. If someone gets real about this, probably should PM me for more intel. Or not....just ride it out and see what happens!!

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 1 LordsB-Tuscon 220mi.gpx
    197.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 2 Tuscon-Bisbee 163mi.gpx
    424 KB · Views: 28
  • 3 Bisbee-LordsB 194mi.gpx
    146.9 KB · Views: 31
Back