• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Details on 'SuperSport Next Generation' ?

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
World Superbike and MotoAmerica are getting close to starting up again - and I believe they swizzled the rules for the SuperSport "600' class quite a bit. This class will now include the nearly-liter Panigale V2, the 800 CC MV Agusta F3, GSXR-750, Triumph Speed Triple 765, as well as actual 600cc bikes like the R6 and ZX-6R. Higher displacement bikes get rev limits and other.

If those restrictions are done right and this somehow does level the playing field, then this sounds like it could make for excellent racing. But - while WSBK teams seem to have more quickly adopted the new rules - running Duc's, Triumphs and even two F3's - MotoAmerican riders are nearly all R6's still (with only one Panigale). Guess it just takes more than one season to pick and buy new bikes.

Does anyone have any insider info here? Any off-season testing reports that indicate if the Panigale's will destroy the field? Will the R6's outrev the other guys and remain dominant? Or, is this still wait-and-see? I guess next week's Daytona 200 will be the first contest of these new rules?

Right now more of the wait-and-see. The 600s are also allowed more mods than in the past.

AS far as what bikes are in the 200, I think the new rules came out too late for most to have the proper build and test time. Most of the 600s have tons of test&tune time, most importantly at previous Daytona races, in regards to engines and suspension. Prior to the rule book change, there just weren't that many of the newly allowed bikes since they really didn't fit in any org's rulebook where they could be competitive. The V2 would have been in the same class as the 1199 and V4 for most org's. Other than the cost of the bike itself, there would be no reason to buy the V2 instead of the V4.

Ahh, OK, that makes sense. I LOVE the idea of this mixed up, 600 to ~999 cc class to breath a little life in the SuperSport segment, but as you suggest, it'll probably take at least a year to make that transition. And then probably constant fiddling with the limitations / allowances to normalize performance...

Well the Daytona 200 was my first taste of this racing class.... and I like it. Before the red flag, 5 manufacturers were in the top 8: Duc, Triumph, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki. By the end, only Paasch on the Triumph could hang with R6's, but at least some of those that lost time did so due to slow pit stops. Paasch seemed to sandbag for 55 laps, leading only the first and the last.

Overall, I'm impressed with how level the field was with V2's, I3's and I4's from 600 to 950 cc's. Should make for interesting racing in Austin in a few weeks.

Ahh, OK, that makes sense. I LOVE the idea of this mixed up, 600 to ~999 cc class to breath a little life in the SuperSport segment, but as you suggest, it'll probably take at least a year to make that transition. And then probably constant fiddling with the limitations / allowances to normalize performance...
One thing I like about you Jeff, besides always being cheerful-is your thoughtfulness.

That was a great finish. Best Daytona I've watched in a while. I've never been too excited about watching SuperSport, but this might be a good year to follow.

Yeah, I agree (with both Gravel Guy and one Wolf :D ). I only really started watching Moto America last year - and that was nearly only Twins Cup. Gange made SuperBikes dull in the same way Marquez did back in the day - but decent competition for 2nd place. I don't think there are any Triumphs competing in the rest of the US SuperSport races, right? So the only 'Next Gen' will be Herrin's Duc?

Guess next year will start the big migration away from the R6's...

Overall, I'm impressed with how level the field was with V2's, I3's and I4's from 600 to 950 cc's. Should make for interesting racing in Austin in a few weeks.
The SS won't be running at CotA, only Superbikes race that weekend.

I don't think there are any Triumphs competing in the rest of the US SuperSport races, right? So the only 'Next Gen' will be Herrin's Duc?
We won't really know until Road Atlanta entry list comes out. And event then, some may show up later in the year, just not on the major teams as they wouldn't switch mid-year.

And you can keep watching those Twins Cup races and cheer me on at Road Atlanta, Road America, and Barber.

The SS won't be running at CotA, only Superbikes race that weekend.
As usual, you're right ... OK, I'll impatiently wait for Atlanta... I really wish the COTA round was a few days earlier and not overlapping with MotoGP. A full 3 days of MotoAmerica would be great (for me) but yes, I understand why they don't

And you can keep watching those Twins Cup races and cheer me on at Road Atlanta, Road America, and Barber.
holy smokes - you're running in the Twins Cup!

FYI - the URL's in your signature are both broken...

holy smokes - you're running in the Twins Cup!

I ran 2 rounds in '19. I was going to do 4 rounds in '20. I went to 4, but only raced in 3 thanks to wrecking in practice at Barber and breaking my collar bone, lol

I was supposed to be at Daytona, but my new truck didn't arrive in time.

Attachments

• Live feed grid screenshot.png
    Live feed grid screenshot.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
That, my friend, is exceedingly impressive. I even like your number!

Back