• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Downsize/Downgrade. Am I crazy?

Reaction score
Lately, my riding time has gotten less. It's not totally zero, but I just don't flat out wear bikes out anymore. A couple hundred miles a month is about what it amounts to. I own my dream bike, and it's been great, but I've considered as of late downsizing. We recently moved out to the Texas Hill Country, and the Tiger is great out here, but there isn't a road I ride out here that wouldn't be just as fun, and probably more fun, on a 250 or 300cc dual sport. I also like the idea of when we travel I can easily throw it in the bed of my truck and not eat into my cargo capacity (25' travel trailer) and take it with us. I put the Tiger in the bed of my last truck (F250) and that was terrible. My 2024 Ram is even taller in the rear... it's just not happening.

Has anyone made this type of downgrade or downsize and been happy with it? Unhappy? Tell me your experience. I'm going to buy a bike anyways to park next to the Tiger, so it's not going anywhere YET.

I've thought about it. I had a DR650 years ago and upgraded to an Africa Twin back in 2019. I've considered a CRF300L Rally. I've even test ridden a 250 Rally and 300 Rebel to get a taste for what they're like. I think I'd enjoy it, but every time I need sudden acceleration riding in traffic (I commute by bike a lot, all back roads) it get on the highway, anything other than love for the Twin disappears.

I didn't get to do it much, but I love to moto camp. I've not been able to do any long trips, but I will one day. My big Twin will carry my luggage without it being noticable. Just add a few clicks of preload to the hydraulic adjuster. It's not a huge load, but a smaller bike wouldn't handle it nearly as well. I know that's the dreamer side to sing extent, but I think a little of that is necessary in life.

I can’t speak to dual sport or adv bikes, but I’ve always ridden powerful heavy cruisers or touring bikes, and I cannot get over how much fun the little Ninja 400 is. I still have my Goldwing and plan to get another, but I’m keeping the 400 for as long as I can keep it running. I think you are exactly right about a smaller bike that is easier to manage but still powerful enough to offer some fun. I don’t think you’ll regret it but I also wouldn’t get rid of the Tiger either.

Smaller bikes are lots of fun! My recommendation for a dual sport would be one of three bikes; the CRF 300 L Rally, the new RE Himalayan 450 or the KTM 390 dual sport that's possibly coming out in 2025. I think if you're only going to have one bike, a dual sport is a great idea!!!

I contemplated this a lot for years after I sold my DRZ. I always missed having the smaller bike in the stable and I think there's a lot to be said for riding a slow bike hard on public roads versus a much faster bike. Being able to toss it on a hitch receiver or load it in a truck easily is also a boon as you've noticed.
The other thing about these types of bikes is they're simple so they tend to just work and maintenance costs are low.

This will be my 4th year riding a CB500X as my primary ADV/dualsport type bike and I couldn't be happier with it... after I did the suspension. The smaller bikes are, basically, always cheaper and the suspensions suffer for it so expect to want to upgrade it some. The primary reason I went with the 500x was the bigger stator compared to a lot of bikes in this class. That is something to keep in mind if you like to run heated gear. I was okay with the weight penalty given where I tend to ride.

If I were buying today I might look hard at the T7 or a newer KTM 690 (2017+ if memory serves) but, for a true dual sport, it'd come down to the CRF300 varients vs whatever else is out there right now. If the maintenance doesn't scare you off and you want a bit more power then there's also the option of dual sporting a KTM or the Honda CRF450L. Many riders report getting away with more manageable maintenance schedules when dual sporting such bikes instead of racing them. I decided I didn't want to mess with those given the pavement miles I tend to put down to get anywhere but some people like them. And being in the area you want to ride already could tip the scales in favor of the higher-strung bikes.

Smaller bikes are lots of fun! My recommendation for a dual sport would be one of three bikes; the CRF 300 L Rally, the new RE Himalayan 450 or the KTM 390 dual sport that's possibly coming out in 2025. I think if you're only going to have one bike, a dual sport is a great idea!!!
I've got WR250R's on my radar. If all goes well I'll have one on Sunday.
I contemplated this a lot for years after I sold my DRZ. I always missed having the smaller bike in the stable and I think there's a lot to be said for riding a slow bike hard on public roads versus a much faster bike. Being able to toss it on a hitch receiver or load it in a truck easily is also a boon as you've noticed.
The other thing about these types of bikes is they're simple so they tend to just work and maintenance costs are low.

This will be my 4th year riding a CB500X as my primary ADV/dualsport type bike and I couldn't be happier with it... after I did the suspension. The smaller bikes are, basically, always cheaper and the suspensions suffer for it so expect to want to upgrade it some. The primary reason I went with the 500x was the bigger stator compared to a lot of bikes in this class. That is something to keep in mind if you like to run heated gear. I was okay with the weight penalty given where I tend to ride.

If I were buying today I might look hard at the T7 or a newer KTM 690 (2017+ if memory serves) but, for a true dual sport, it'd come down to the CRF300 varients vs whatever else is out there right now. If the maintenance doesn't scare you off and you want a bit more power then there's also the option of dual sporting a KTM or the Honda CRF450L. Many riders report getting away with more manageable maintenance schedules when dual sporting such bikes instead of racing them. I decided I didn't want to mess with those given the pavement miles I tend to put down to get anywhere but some people like them. And being in the area you want to ride already could tip the scales in favor of the higher-strung bikes.
That's part of it... simple to work on. I've spent a ton of time on H-D's, which means at this point, I'm tired of spinning wrenches. That is one thing about my Tiger I was never able to get over. The cost of maintenance, and how often it needed it. The valve cover needs to be popped off at 12,000mi!!! Then on top of it, even with my "Dealer Tool" I can't reset the maintenance date, only the mileage, so the wrench light stays on constantly. I love the bike and it's everything I've ever dreamed of, but with each passing mile I know I'm getting closer to yet another motorcycle sitting in my garage in pieces, waiting on parts.

The new CRF450L, or a Katoom did cross my mind, but it's just more than what I need. If I'm going that radical, I'm just going to buy another MX bike and start racing again. I also don't want to spend no more than about $5,000 maximum on another motorcycle. With the rising cost of insurance, fuel, maintenance etc... the less I spend the better off I am, and the happier I am. My wife did mention to me yesterday after I brought this up to her about riding with me, and would she be able to ride on the back of a wr250r. She hasn't been on the back of a motorcycle with me in over a year at this point. I guess we'll give it a go. El Tigre may stay after all, and have a little brother?

Attachments

• IMG_8696.jpeg
    IMG_8696.jpeg
    646.5 KB · Views: 23
I've got WR250R's on my radar. If all goes well I'll have one on Sunday.

That's part of it... simple to work on. I've spent a ton of time on H-D's, which means at this point, I'm tired of spinning wrenches. That is one thing about my Tiger I was never able to get over. The cost of maintenance, and how often it needed it. The valve cover needs to be popped off at 12,000mi!!! Then on top of it, even with my "Dealer Tool" I can't reset the maintenance date, only the mileage, so the wrench light stays on constantly. I love the bike and it's everything I've ever dreamed of, but with each passing mile I know I'm getting closer to yet another motorcycle sitting in my garage in pieces, waiting on parts.

The new CRF450L, or a Katoom did cross my mind, but it's just more than what I need. If I'm going that radical, I'm just going to buy another MX bike and start racing again. I also don't want to spend no more than about $5,000 maximum on another motorcycle. With the rising cost of insurance, fuel, maintenance etc... the less I spend the better off I am, and the happier I am. My wife did mention to me yesterday after I brought this up to her about riding with me, and would she be able to ride on the back of a wr250r. She hasn't been on the back of a motorcycle with me in over a year at this point. I guess we'll give it a go. El Tigre may stay after all, and have a little brother?

The WR250R is a fine bike. I wish they had a little more torque down low but a clean example would be a fine ride regardless.

I have a bike I could cross continents on, but never will. It's comfy, but to be honest my annual number of 6+ hour day rides can be counted on one hand. For now, that's enough for me to keep mine, but I can definitely see the day that a sub 600cc bike would be every bit as much fun for the shorter rides I usually do. a 400cc twin, with ADV ergos would be in the sweet spot.

I guess the biggest thing to be realized beyond the obvious peak power reduction is the power delivery difference between big and small engines. The 300 Rebel I rode would get up and go fairly well with large throttle openings and high revs. It was pretty anemic if kept low in the revs and bring gentle with the throttle. That is, of course, in comparison to my Africa Twin where reach cylinder is nearly twice the displacement of the 300. I have a preference for larger displacement, not for the peak power, but for the low rev power to make for really relaxed riding around town. My DR650 was like that and I really enjoyed it. The Africa Twin is both more powerful and more linear as it revs up, but still works good.

I guess all I'm trying to say is get a decent test ride in before you downsize and, if possible, keep your bigger bike for a while to make a fully informed decision. It's more than just with and power on a spec sheet. The riding experience is very different.

I went from five bikes down to one, an R1200gs (had two before the sell off) which was/is my favorite bike to ride. I went from 15-20K miles a year down to maybe 2K and not doing off road anymore other than a gravel road here and there, I like the performance and highway manners of the GS while still being able to stir the dust now and then if I have a mind to. Basically, it all boiled down to what kind miles on what kind of surface I expect to ride the most and the dual sport I let go wasn’t going to fit as well as a bigger bike.

I went from five bikes down to one, an R1200gs (had two before the sell off) which was/is my favorite bike to ride. I went from 15-20K miles a year down to maybe 2K and not doing off road anymore other than a gravel road here and there, I like the performance and highway manners of the GS while still being able to stir the dust now and then if I have a mind to. Basically, it all boiled down to what kind miles on what kind of surface I expect to ride the most and the dual sport I let go wasn’t going to fit as well as a bigger bike.

That’s kind of why I’ve been on the 500x. It’s smoother than my 1150gsa but light enough to not be such a pain in the rougher stuff.

It just doesn’t have the top speed of the GS. It’s missing about 20 mph up top. It tops out at 95 mph according to the GPS.

Last edited:
Wolfen will graduate to a R1200GS someday too, long before he downsizes. I had 2 long term GSAs for 125K miles before trying an Africa Twin for 7 months. I loved the DCT but missed the BMW feel and build. Went from a 2011 GSA to a 2017 AT DCT (with a 2009 RT in the stable for real road trips), then back to a 2016 R1200GSA as my single bike . Really happy still :-) But maybe I should have just bought an RT and saved $5K, as the gravel is far less frequent these days.

Wolfen will graduate to a R1200GS someday too, long before he downsizes. I had 2 long term GSAs for 125K miles before trying an Africa Twin for 7 months. I loved the DCT but missed the BMW feel and build. Went from a 2011 GSA to a 2017 AT DCT (with a 2009 RT in the stable for real road trips), then back to a 2016 R1200GSA as my single bike . Really happy still :-) But maybe I should have just bought an RT and saved $5K, as the gravel is far less frequent these days.
Honestly, I have no plans to own a BMW. I'd anything I'd move towards a more off-road capable bike, not the other way. Right now the Twin is my perfect balance.

Honestly, I have no plans to own a BMW. I'd anything I'd move towards a more off-road capable bike, not the other way. Right now the Twin is my perfect balance.

You're really missing out. The weight issue is completely overblown because they never fall over all the way thanks to the wonderful engine design. ;-)

1709999749432.png

Well if you never fall down any marque will work i guess.

Last edited:
WR250R acquired. Needs a little TLC but what used bike doesn't? Once I get a plate on it, and get all that squared away I'll report back. Took it around the hood anyways and I think I'm going to like it... feels fast anyway.

WR250R acquired. Needs a little TLC but what used bike doesn't? Once I get a plate on it, and get all that squared away I'll report back. Took it around the hood anyways and I think I'm going to like it... feels fast anyway.
Awesome, make sure to share some pics of the new steed!

Happy for you. WRRs are very capable but an acquired taste. I still love my 2008 that I bought in 2009

Started tear down today. Swing arm and linkage bearings were taken care of, but I'm going to replace them anyways. Needs a new chain, and wheel bearings. Going to yank the trees tomorrow and inspect neck bearings. If they don't need replacement, then I definitely won't bother there... much larger, much more substantial bearings. Called IMS to get a rebuild kit for the 5.7gal tank I have, but it was cheaper to send me a new tank under some warranty replacement type thing, so that was awesome! Guess I'll keep this stupid thing? Need to figure out what to do with the Tiger.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpeg
    IMG_3282.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3285.jpeg
    IMG_3285.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 30
My riding buddy from the Bay area downsized about a year & a half ago. After spending yours on large adventure bikes, he finally sold his Triumph Explorer 1200 and went all the way down to a Versys 300. Mark told me that since he doesn't tour anymore, he actually wishes he'd made the change earlier.

I see you acquired a WR. Congrats!! I hope you’re enjoying it. The Ninja 400 mentioned above sounds like a great option but understand it’s not a dual sport. I’m 63 and hardly ever ride my 2009 R1200RT. I’m considering replacing it with a 2024 Yamaha XMax or Vespa GTS 300. I rode the Vespa a couple of years ago and thought it was a real hoot!!! There’s a reasonably large scooter scene where I’m at.

I see you acquired a WR. Congrats!! I hope you’re enjoying it. The Ninja 400 mentioned above sounds like a great option but understand it’s not a dual sport. I’m 63 and hardly ever ride my 2009 R1200RT. I’m considering replacing it with a 2024 Yamaha XMax or Vespa GTS 300. I rode the Vespa a couple of years ago and thought it was a real hoot!!! There’s a reasonably large scooter scene where I’m at.
I sold my 2009 rt and miss it for sure.

Back