• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DR650

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
What year was this yellow one?
53787DDC-BE8E-4DE0-B366-A9724894B8B2.jpeg
F5F959E2-A2D9-44F1-B0C8-66FF0DC07B5C.jpeg

Not factory. Custom graphics and many other non stock bits. Could be any year really from 1990 and up.

Won't be soon but might go with one, best year in you opinion to make a woods d/s out of?

Basically, the DR 650 hasn’t changed much since ‘96, aside from emissions add ons. If you want a wealth of knowledge for all things DR related, check out DRRiders.com in the advrider.com forum. That’s assuming you haven’t already. Those folks in there are about the best when it comes to the DR650.

Pretty much any year will do. There have been a few minor updates over the years. It got a metal base gasket in roughly 2003, a countershaft seal retainer in roughly 2013, and they started putting Locktite on the NSU screws sometime in 2017. There was also a period in '97-'98, IIRC, where there was an issue with the starter clutch or something like that. Otherwise a '96+ DR is a '96+ DR. Condition and milage would be bigger concerns for me than year.

That said, it's a seriously heavy bike for trail riding. It can be done, and I've done it, but it's better suited to FSRs and two track than single track trails. Also expect to spend some money on suspension upgrades.

I would suggest using the Pre-96 :rider:

That leaves you more money left over for farkles and suspension upgrades! lol. The bikes are different than the post-96 but honestly I don't think they are any better or worse than the other gen. Parts are harder to find, but are still out there. There is a big community keeping the early bikes going.

:trust::trust::trust:
https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/1994-dr650-3500.131935/

Plus you get the extra rad graphics and purple frame of glory!

Pretty much any year will do. There have been a few minor updates over the years. It got a metal base gasket in roughly 2003, a countershaft seal retainer in roughly 2013, and they started putting Locktite on the NSU screws sometime in 2017. There was also a period in '97-'98, IIRC, where there was an issue with the starter clutch or something like that. Otherwise a '96+ DR is a '96+ DR. Condition and milage would be bigger concerns for me than year.

That said, it's a seriously heavy bike for trail riding. It can be done, and I've done it, but it's better suited to FSRs and two track than single track trails. Also expect to spend some money on suspension upgrades.
Yep but D/S was stated, not singletrack. And I am sure ES is a must. A LA friend had one with Race Tech mods and it was a very excellent bike for any reasonable dirt use. Totally reliable also.

Yep but D/S was stated, not singletrack. And I am sure ES is a must. A LA friend had one with Race Tech mods and it was a very excellent bike for any reasonable dirt use. Totally reliable also.

I had Cogent suspension on mine. Very competent. I only bring up single track because of who was asking and his mentioning it as a "woods d/s".

They actually do pretty well single track. Won't replace your CRF450 but very competent in the woods in my opinion.

Couldn't find a dedicated DR650 thread so bumping this one.

Anybody know what muffler this is? Never seen anything like that before on a DR.

Attachments

• 20230607_070351.jpg
    20230607_070351.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 60
Back